Home

The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games

This is a discussion on The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

In a report recently filed by Deadspin, it appears the NCAA came close to allowing real player names in the NCAA Football video game series, with EA agreeing to include academic features and scores within the game (such as the APR). Be sure to read the full report which includes some interesting double standards by the NCAA.

Do you think we'll see an NCAA Football game on this new generation of consoles?
Yes, but it will be like All-Pro Football 2K5. They had agreements with Barry Sanders and a bunch of other All-Americans/Heisman winners for Ultimate team and Heisman mode - do it again for the next NCAA football. You keep the schools, the conferences and there are no current player likenesses. Allow roster editing, keep the recruiting the same, update the conferences and uniforms - done. Expand Teambuilder and ability to expand/customize conferences and playoff as well. I don't care if the rosters match real life. Gameplay is more important.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Pro

herropreese's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
Yes, but it will be like All-Pro Football 2K5. They had agreements with Barry Sanders and a bunch of other All-Americans/Heisman winners for Ultimate team and Heisman mode - do it again for the next NCAA football. You keep the schools, the conferences and there are no current player likenesses. Allow roster editing, keep the recruiting the same, update the conferences and uniforms - done. Expand Teambuilder and ability to expand/customize conferences and playoff as well. I don't care if the rosters match real life. Gameplay is more important.
I would love this idea.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

For the big fans of the game like you and me that would work great. The casual fan is going to get very upset when they turn on the game and FSU's QB is a white pocket passer. And they need those casual fan sales to make the game profitable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
For the big fans of the game like you and me that would work great. The casual fan is going to get very upset when they turn on the game and FSU's QB is a white pocket passer. And they need those casual fan sales to make the game profitable.
That can be solved with roster sharing.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNT
Anyone that thinks that a completely generic college football game would work is fooling themselves. As I wrote earlier this is pretty much the only game that I play and I'd LOVE to have it keep going, even if generic. Hell, unless I'm using my Wolverines, I don't even care a little bit about the default rosters. I only play dynasty mode and it doesn't get REALLY interesting for me until I'm using the players that I recruited so generic default rosters wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

However, people like us are in the extreme minority for this game (and I'd imagine all sports games) and the vast majority of people that buy NCAA (thus making it viable) are people who absolutely would be bothered by generic rosters (and most likely wouldn't even buy the game because of it). Even if we could edit the rosters to be accurate and could share them, that wouldn't get the casual guys to buy the game. That also would only work for guys playing dynasty modes. You wouldn't be able to use them for online matches (even with what a horrible experience those are, there are still people who only play online matches) because people would have to have the exact same rosters and I'm sure people would complain too much about the player ratings because, for example, Winston was overpowered by the roster editor while Mariota was too nerfed.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNT
For me and you and everyone that posts here yes. For most casual fans no.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
For me and you and everyone that posts here yes. For most casual fans no.
I don't necessarily disagree...and a few years back I would have definitely agreed. But these days the whole share/download concept seems a bit more common in other avenues of life. I am not sure that as many people as we think would be turned off by the idea?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I don't necessarily disagree...and a few years back I would have definitely agreed. But these days the whole share/download concept seems a bit more common in other avenues of life. I am not sure that as many people as we think would be turned off by the idea?
It should be but there are still a lot of people in the dark that either don't know or still pay for rosters. The former is especially prevalent on the NCAA Facebook and Youtube pages.

EA needed to do a better job of herding people to a list of high quality rosters to choose from rather than having to know the gamertag of a user with rosters. The WWE series has allowed players to download user made non-licensed wrestlers for years and never got slammed with litigation over it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »