Home

MLB 14 The Show Blog - Online Franchise

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Blog - Online Franchise within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 14 The Show Blog - Online Franchise

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: MLB 14 The Show Blog - Online Franchise

as I stated in previous thread this mode will bring in an influx of new players to online, if the servers and net code is drastically improved. Overall a lot to be excited about and maybe an OS Fantasy Online Franchise could work here and actually complete lol
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

On the draft screenshot I noticed potential and overall are given for each player. I wonder if those players had to be scouted or if that is given automatically.

I also noticed on the contract screen it gave both available budget and total pending offers which is a welcome addition - if it makes it into offline mode as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
as I stated in previous thread this mode will bring in an influx of new players to online, if the servers and net code is drastically improved. Overall a lot to be excited about and maybe an OS Fantasy Online Franchise could work here and actually complete lol
Absolutely! This has me really looking into it. The servers are going to be the deciding factor though. If I can't play an online game without lag it will be a no go for me. Other than that this looks amazing.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Underrated

PadresFan's Arena

OVR: 7

Super excited about the overhauled trade logic and player contract logic...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.
Its been said a ton already, but please let these improvements make it into the normal franchise mode. It is a MLB The Show staple after all.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Rookie

Pirate's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Its been said a ton already, but please let these improvements make it into the normal franchise mode. It is a MLB The Show staple after all.
Agreed. I have zero interest in the online components of this game. I don't even understand the appeal of an online franchise.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6

Online franchise is the reason I bought a PS4. Can't wait to get a franchise going with my buddies

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »