Home

Facebook Buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion

This is a discussion on Facebook Buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Facebook Buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion

Just minutes ago, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the news that Facebook has bought Oculus VR, the maker of the upcoming Oculus Rift Virtual Reality gaming platform:

Quote:
"I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

mmersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home."
It's possible Facebook could explore sports specific experiences such as getting a virtual seat at a basketball game. The reported price of the deal is $2 billion.

What would you like to see out of the Oculus platform?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
Nice! Now Zuckerberg is not only going to know what people are posting about in their day to day lives, but he's going to know about what we see with our Oculus goggles. Oculus is fine with my games, but if they force a mandatory sign-up to provide information to Facebook just to use the technology, I'm no longer interested.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 48
It was only time, until Facebook bought into the gaming industry! $2B later!
cheers
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
"The cancer is spreading, Doctor. WE CANNOT STOP IT!"
Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Facebook Buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion

Shocking news to me. But I'm already so sold on Oculus it'll take a whole lot to convince me not to buy one.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1
Awful news. Facebook has so far been a disaster area in anything gaming related.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'd never considered "getting a virtual seat at a basketball game" as a potential use for the thing, but now that I think about it, it's a huge potential profit model. If that comes to fruition, every sports team would essentially have unlimited front-row seats. Imagine, you can now sell season tickets even to fans outside your market! A Clippers fan in Texas can pay for 41 games where they just pop on the helmet. You could even record the Oculus feed and DVR the live experience!

My mind's blown.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Facebook Buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion

The potential for VR is limitless. Far more than just games.

I am curious to see what Sony does in response. Microsoft is rumored to be working on their VR tech as well. Holodecks will probably be the norm in a decade. Exciting times.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 03-25-2014 at 08:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »