Home

Sports Daily: College Athletes Granted Union Rights

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: College Athletes Granted Union Rights within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
MVP

gausec's Arena

OVR: 13
I feel like this is a good move for players, I'm not saying hey lets pay them a ton of money, but enough to buy some minor stuff, If you ever did college athletics you will know its impossible to balance school, and workouts, you can't get a job. Then you see the NCAA is bringing in all this money, yes I get it you get free schooling but the top atheltes who are the ones bringing the NCAA money don't care about the schooling and delaying there time till they join the league, and also tend to be the ones who come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds. However these players are the way the NCAA can give scholarships to other players and other sports. So in summary the system is flawed but needs some sort of change.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #10
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3
This is great! College athletes and workers have been pillaged by corporate domination for too long. Unions are an important way for them to gain power against their corporate overloads who know only exploitation of the athlete/worker/environment in the name of profit.

@Glass87
Politely, I have to say you are wrong on this. As other sports and society have shown, the individual is powerless against the corporation without a union. Corporate management can just pick you off one by one and seize the lion's share of the money (college athletes have been dealing with this for too long!) With a union, as baseball players have shown, you can gain power together as a group.

@MMChrisS
I have to take issue with the way you presented part of this story. Why call athletes striking or receiving pay "extreme"? Why don't you call what athletes have to deal with today "extreme"? Be careful with your language as you can mistakenly frame things in an inappropriate manner.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Sports Daily: College Athletes Granted Union Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atax1s
Nobody is discussing an important aspect of college athletes unionizing. Under federal law, their scholarships become taxable. Now maybe for the elite athletes it won't be an issue but for a volleyball player or a lacrosse player these scholarships, which can run well over 20k annually, will carry heavy taxation. The regular student athlete is going to pay for the perks that the top athletes get. This will turn out awfully.
I believe Scholarships are taxable now but the burden is negligible when you talking about them being dependents.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »