Home

R.B.I. Baseball 14 Hands-On Preview (Polygon, Sports on Earth)

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 14 Hands-On Preview (Polygon, Sports on Earth) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens52bears54
No season stats. No online. $20.

So much for being excited about this.
I expected the game to be $15-20. I can understand forgoing online at launch. A 162 game season WITHOUT stats? With so little else to do in this game the saving grace for "replayability" would at least have been trying to set & top statistical achievements.

''' "No stats. This is not a simulation: You won't be keeping season stats, which is good, because I'm pretty sure Miguel Cabrera would end up with 194 home runs." '''

When are stats ever bad? I understand it is not a simulation, but so what? Having some simple benchmarks would really fill this game out nicely. I can't see the incentive for playing more then one season now. I agree with ravens52bears54, its tough to be excited about now.

I also read something about using the D-pad. I hope thats not mandatory.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Hands-On Preview (Polygon, Sports on Earth)

I was really excited about this. I mean REALLY excited.

No stats just killed the purchase. I don't care if the stats are realistic but baseball IS stats. Huge mistake to not include them.

Bummer.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
All Star

OVR: 35

In one of the earlier articles about the game, MLBAM mentioned that the results would be like real baseball, but here the writer's saying Miggy would hit 194 home runs. I wonder if that comment was just based on a small sample size.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

I was very excited and hyped for this but after seeing the price and no stats I might have to pass. I know fun quick games should be the first priority in any game but with baseball, stats is right up there in what a vast majority of people want.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Rookie

According to the article, "I spent 90 minutes talking to Leece, but you don't care about that. What you care about are the 40 minutes we spent playing the game."
Based on that statement and other articles on game time duration, this sample size is 1 game. My understanding of what MLBAM meant was they used statistical analysis to base how the players "felt". It is stated that the players don't have visible player ratings. I also remember reading something about no defensive rating. Though like this game, the original game did not display attributes, players did have a numeric stat for power/contact/speed. Teams had a rating as a whole for defense, specifically related to likelyhood of Error.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
Rookie

Agree that no stats are a killer. If I can't track stats in a season I have no interest in playing. And there I was getting a little excited to give it a try...
Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
MVP

ricky24's Arena

Don't care about stats. Just want a baseball game that is fun to play. Were people really expecting it to be much less than 20???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 46
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Hands-On Preview (Polygon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I liked reading about them saying how they want people to "learn by discovery." This is exactly why I want OVR (overall) ratings to be ditched in sports games, or at least put to the wayside. It becomes a big distraction.

I want to play this for sure, but a franchise mode or online play would have been nice. Maybe next year?
I am starting to feel this way about OVR as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »