Home

MLB 14 The Show: Some Basic Pitch-Count Strategies

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Some Basic Pitch-Count Strategies within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 14 The Show: Some Basic Pitch-Count Strategies

Pitch counts in baseball are one of the most basic tenants of the game, but also one of the least understood amongst casual and novice fans. When it comes to playing MLB 14 The Show, you will be facing an AI opponent which understands the count and how to work it both from a pitching and hitting perspective.

Here are some basic ways to approach the pitch count in an at-bat:

• 0-0: The first pitch in an at-bat is incredibly important. Pitchers want to throw first pitch strikes, so it is likely a pitcher who is on his game will get you something over the plate -- but that doesn't mean it will necessarily be hittable. Depending on how the pitchers overall pitch count is evolving, you may need to take a pitch or two just to ensure the starter has to work a bit, especially if he's an ace and getting to the bullpen is an advantageous strategy.
  • 0-1, 1-2, and 0-2: You are against the wall as a hitter in both counts. The pitcher will be less apt to throw you a strike over the plate when he is ahead of you -- the reason being is that you don't want to give a hitter something to drive when you have the advantage. Good hitters will be protecting the plate and more willing to swing at close pitches. Pitching wise, there's no better place to be.
  • 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, and 3-1: If you are a pitcher and behind in the count, you will have to throw a strike. As a hitter, this means the pitcher will be desperate to throw something he can ensure gets more of the plate, especially if you find yourself in a very advantageous count such as 2-0 or 3-1. A 2-0 fastball is a classic pitch to drive. Pitching wise, try to ensure you throw a strike -- but try to always mix it up on these counts to ensure hitters can't guess your rhythm and send your pitch on a long flight.
  • 3-0: Almost certainly, this is a count that the hitter is going to take and the pitcher is going to do everything to get a pitch over. While you are likely to see a pitch over the plate, it is a waste of a good at bad if you ground out or fly out at 3-0.
  • 1-1, 2-2: These are the counts you really don't have a good feel for either way. Pitchers can choose to give you something over the plate or try to cut corners, meanwhile hitters will be looking to hit anything which is getting a lot of the plate.
  • 3-2: This is a count you should expect a strike, but if a pitcher is struggling or tiring you aren't guaranteed one. With two outs, you always send your runners on 3-2. From a pitching perspective, I try to avoid throwing something over the plate but if there are base-runners on, you have to avoid walking players as much as possible.
Working the count also has to do with a lot of other factors which a short guide can't account for. The approach changes if you have runners on, a fast base-runner on, or if you are daring and call a hit-and-run. Another thing which will change your approach on how aggressive to be at the plate is whether you are behind or ahead in a game.

What approaches do you use to work the count both as a pitcher and hitter?
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
i change my swing type based upon the count:
(even count, 0-0, 1-1, 2-2) I use the normal swing X-button on the PS3
(behind the count, 0-1, 0-2, 1-2) I protect the plate with contact swing O-button on PS3
(ahead the count except for full 3-2 count, 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-0) swing away! use the power swing square button on PS3...
***note*** I almost always "take" on 3-0, the 3-2 count I use normal swing in case I need to "check swing" to take the walk, too high of strikeout rate if using power swing
Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Dwenny's Arena

Re: MLB 14 The Show: Some Basic Pitch-Count Strategies

Nice guide. For me, you confirmed that I have been doing things right. I like to see if I can bring pitch counts at least to the 110 level (> 50% taken). I feel that I've done well with an 140 pitch count with multiple pitchers (2-3).
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

If I get a pitch around the middle of the zone I'll swing, any pitch any count. Of course in an unfavorable count I'll protect the edges of the zone a little more, but I'm not afraid to let the borderline pitches go. The walks will come as long as you are patient.

For pitching I just roll with whatever is working. If I'm looking for contact or easy strikes I'll attack the batter's cold zones, if I'm looking for K's I'll attack the hot zones (with chase pitches out of the zone of course). I don't mix it up just to mix it up, I generally stick with the pitcher's best pitches because that's what they do in real life right?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
I'd like to add this to 3-0:

If you're using a hitter with prodigious power, such as Giancarlo Stanton/Adam Dunn/Insert another power guy here, I'd recommend you look for a pitch in a very specific spot so you can try and drive the ball. Adam Dunn is more valuable to you hitting bombs than he his taking a walk. Now, obviously different situations will dictate what you do, but if it's the 2nd inning with 2 outs and a guy on 2nd you'd probably prefer to rope a double into the gap with these guys than taking a walk.

If the ball isn't in the exact spot you're looking for, however, take the pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
  • 3-2: This is a count you should expect a strike, but if a pitcher is struggling or tiring you aren't guaranteed one. With two outs, you always send your runners on 3-2. From a pitching perspective, I try to avoid throwing something over the plate but if there are base-runners on, you have to avoid walking players as much as possible.
I agree with the entire post... (but im going to nitpick)

I think the bolded line should be slightly more specific. For example, if there is one runner and he is on 2nd base, I wouldn't tell him to steal on a 3-2 count because he might get thrown out at third.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
I agree with the entire post... (but im going to nitpick)

I think the bolded line should be slightly more specific. For example, if there is one runner and he is on 2nd base, I wouldn't tell him to steal on a 3-2 count because he might get thrown out at third.
That's not really nitpicking, that is a very good point. If it's 3-2 and the runner is subject to a force out, then you always send him (meaning he's out by simply stepping on the bag). If not, don't send him because he's on 2nd or 3rd and should score on almost any hit to the outfield (because he gets a better jump because he doesn't care if it's catchable or not).
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
My weakness as a hitter is being 0-1. If that first pitch is a strike far more often then I like I end up swinging at a bad pitch to bring myself to 0-2

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »