Home

Net Neutrality's End Could Mean Online Gaming's Demise

This is a discussion on Net Neutrality's End Could Mean Online Gaming's Demise within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Net Neutrality's End Could Mean Online Gaming's Demise

Long live hotseat couch multiplayer!

In a report leaked yesterday, both the New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported the FCC was poised to reverse its stance on Net Neutrality.

This decision would allow Internet Service Providers the ability to discriminate web traffic on their networks, allowing certain content to be delivered faster versus other content. While these rules likely won't affect the average internet consumer, users who use a high amount of bandwidth such as video streaming or online gaming will likely see their prices rise as companies have to pay more money in order to be able to deliver their products.

A good primer to read on this issue is straight from Kotaku, which explains the issue and how it could affect gamers.

Do you fear an internet where net neutrality is dead, or are you more hopeful that it won't be so different after all?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
I question how they can slow down streaming. Let's say I pay for a 30 mps download speed via Comcast. Then they aren't holding up their end of the contract so they could be subject to a class action lawsuit. I think it will end in raising costs.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I question how they can slow down streaming. Let's say I pay for a 30 mps download speed via Comcast. Then they aren't holding up their end of the contract so they could be subject to a class action lawsuit. I think it will end in raising costs.
You don't pay for 30. You pay for up to 30.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
There's a reason why all ISPs have a 5 million page ToS full of legal jargon and other nonsense that nobody but a lawyer can understand.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
The rich get richer... and the small start ups will ultimately suffer, and as a result competition will lessen. Deregulation is basically a license for big wigs to dominate the marketplace, and our choices will become less and less. Those with money will dominate the internet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
I'm optimistic that the people will be out in droves if they do indeed reverse net neutrality.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
The rich get richer... and the small start ups will ultimately suffer, and as a result competition will lessen. Deregulation is basically a license for big wigs to dominate the marketplace, and our choices will become less and less. Those with money will dominate the internet.
I agree. It is getting bad and the future doesn't look bright. Deregulation is never good, look what happen to the financial system back in 08. Why can't these supper rich corporations leave things alone!!..More $$ is never enough for them.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6
It's all about money. Corporations use the unsustainable model of increase in profit each quarter or year and those increases have to be higher than the previous one. I believe net neutrality will not impact a majority of users or they won't be able to connect the dots. This will only lead to more money for ISPs. People who are frustrated with their service will upgrade and high end users will be forced to pay a higher cost as well. Cable tv is losing subscribers and they need to counter that cost. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to the point where they start charging fees to websites so users can access their content

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »