Home

Net Neutrality's End Could Mean Online Gaming's Demise

This is a discussion on Net Neutrality's End Could Mean Online Gaming's Demise within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Racing
I agree. It is getting bad and the future doesn't look bright. Deregulation is never good, look what happen to the financial system back in 08. Why can't these supper rich corporations leave things alone!!..More $$ is never enough for them.
Yup. And this isn't to say that I'm a proponent of broad government regulation either. But at least with government regulation we can see what they are doing and make sure they are protecting individual rights and freedoms (as opposed to protecting corporate interests). However, when your enemy lurks in the shadows, like corporations, they thrive on deregulation. Like a cancer their only goal is to spread and stamp out competition. Regulations that support INDIVIDUAL rights/freedoms and foster competition and consumer/employee rights are always needed... to level the playing field!

CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE!... Support small start ups and Individuals! Rights & Freedoms belong to them and them alone.

Last edited by Profit89; 04-24-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Yup. And this isn't to say that I'm a proponent of broad government regulation either. But at least with government regulation we can see what they are doing and make sure they are protecting individual rights and freedoms (as opposed to protecting corporate interests). However, when your enemy lurks in the shadows, like corporations, they thrive on deregulation. Like a cancer their only goal is to spread and stamp out competition. Regulations that support INDIVIDUAL rights/freedoms and foster competition and consumer/employee rights are always needed... to level the playing field!

CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE!... Support small start ups and Individuals! Rights & Freedoms belong to them and them alone.
100% completely agree with you. I couldn't have said it any better!. Excellent points!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Like the Kotaku article stated online gaming doesn't actually pull that much bandwidth. I am able to play BF4, NBA 2K and FIFA all on a 1Mb connection with no lag. Online gaming does not create more constraints to the overall bandwidth infrastructure.

Streaming on the other hand is a huge bandwidth monster. Services such as gaikai and netflix will eat up bandwidth but not gaming. I am trying to look at this in a positive light and maybe, we might just get developers hosting more dedicated servers further alleviating bandwidth traffic on the consumer end?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3
This is the natural outcome of unfettered capitalism. I suggest everyone check this out -- Economist Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" is now the NUMBER ONE book on AMAZON. Incredible that a 700 page book on economic analysis would be the number one selling book. It details a fundamental flaw in the capitalist system that is dooming us all.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Net Neutrality's End Could Mean Online Gaming's Demise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Like the Kotaku article stated online gaming doesn't actually pull that much bandwidth. I am able to play BF4, NBA 2K and FIFA all on a 1Mb connection with no lag. Online gaming does not create more constraints to the overall bandwidth infrastructure.

Streaming on the other hand is a huge bandwidth monster. Services such as gaikai and netflix will eat up bandwidth but not gaming. I am trying to look at this in a positive light and maybe, we might just get developers hosting more dedicated servers further alleviating bandwidth traffic on the consumer end?
Gaming does not eat bandwidth but it does require extremely consistent service. Netflix buffers so if the connection slows down for a bit, in theory, you've already pre-loaded the next few seconds so it can continue uninterrupted. In a game, if it abruptly stops or slows down for 10 seconds then you are dead, scored on, or disconnected entirely.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »