Home

MLB 14 The Show Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Review (PS4) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSBX
How come so many people who review this game leave out all of the continued issues with this franchise? The sloth-like play of outfielders on a lot of XBH that sometimes result in an extra base being taken. The ball going straight through the catcher, even if it's directly down the middle of the plate. The lack of urgency on some double-plays where the two IFs throw the ball to one another like it's just a lone out opportunity. The terrible lighting in night games in the OF. The way the RP/CP stats don't show up in RTTS when you're brought into a game -- the overlay space is there, but the display never pops up with the stats. The tons of wrong calls on steals to 2B where the runner is called out, but is clearly safe, even in replays, etc.

There are a ton of other issues and it seems like nobody is bringing them up in reviews.

Here is an example of that steal issue -- runner has clearly reached 2B, but is called out despite the glove not even touching the runner. This happens CONSTANTLY.

Good review. I agree with everything .U do know there is an option to make umpires call games more accurately right?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
Rookie

radney's Arena

OVR: 0
The lighting isn't as great as they claim for it to be. There should be day games for the 1:00 times, afternoon times at or around 4:00 which should fade into early evening and the night for 7:00. Even in the overcast games in which the lights aren't even on during the day games, should progressively gets darker as the game goes on. As I said in previous post, that's the one area where MLB 2K Series shines. I also think the night skies aren't that good.

I also agree with the others with that there's no urgency with trying to turn a double play as where there were too many times where either the SS or 2B loops the throw instead of firing the ball to 1st. Too many dumb errors commited in the OF where you think you have a catch on a fly and then it's not caught and it becomes a 3-bagger.

I have stolen many bases that I was clearly safe only to be called out. Also have been picked off a number times with Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner and sometimes other players when I haven't even taken a lead. Over all, it is still a great game but there are issues that are being left out in this review.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: MLB 14 The Show Review (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSBX
How come so many people who review this game leave out all of the continued issues with this franchise? The sloth-like play of outfielders on a lot of XBH that sometimes result in an extra base being taken. The ball going straight through the catcher, even if it's directly down the middle of the plate. The lack of urgency on some double-plays where the two IFs throw the ball to one another like it's just a lone out opportunity. The terrible lighting in night games in the OF. The way the RP/CP stats don't show up in RTTS when you're brought into a game -- the overlay space is there, but the display never pops up with the stats. The tons of wrong calls on steals to 2B where the runner is called out, but is clearly safe, even in replays, etc.

There are a ton of other issues and it seems like nobody is bringing them up in reviews.

Here is an example of that steal issue -- runner has clearly reached 2B, but is called out despite the glove not even touching the runner. This happens CONSTANTLY.

Hard to say from a still, but it looks like the runner's foot is resting on the fielder's glove from that angle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radney
The lighting isn't as great as they claim for it to be. There should be day games for the 1:00 times, afternoon times at or around 4:00 which should fade into early evening and the night for 7:00. Even in the overcast games in which the lights aren't even on during the day games, should progressively gets darker as the game goes on. As I said in previous post, that's the one area where MLB 2K Series shines. I also think the night skies aren't that good.

I also agree with the others with that there's no urgency with trying to turn a double play as where there were too many times where either the SS or 2B loops the throw instead of firing the ball to 1st. Too many dumb errors commited in the OF where you think you have a catch on a fly and then it's not caught and it becomes a 3-bagger.

I have stolen many bases that I was clearly safe only to be called out. Also have been picked off a number times with Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner and sometimes other players when I haven't even taken a lead. Over all, it is still a great game but there are issues that are being left out in this review.
In my copy, the lights are on in late afternoon games and the day does fade to night......

am i the only one? lol maybe cause it's a franchise game? i dunno but i have seen that happen

totally agree about the lazy double plays though, very frustrating... sometimes they turn it quick sometimes they dont...
Old 05-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
MVP

Good review, but no mention of the choppy frame rate & screen tear during cut scenes? While the presentation is great, it's hampered by the poor frame rate & at times. It's a shame that this happens because it really takes away from the polished look of the game. Hopefully it can be addressed in a patch.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
Rookie

Re: MLB 14 The Show Review (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzine21
Good review. I agree with everything .U do know there is an option to make umpires call games more accurately right?
That's the setting I play it on. Not only are calls still incorrect, but the strike zone is still not called correctly each time either. I believe the setting may be broken on the PS4 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Hard to say from a still, but it looks like the runner's foot is resting on the fielder's glove from that angle.
I should have taken multiple angles. The foot is on the base and the glove is sweeping to tag his knee. That's why I originally took it from that angle, in order to show that the glove hadn't reached his knee/leg yet.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
Banned

Fair review. Unbearable load times though, and choppy framerate. But fair.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Good review, but no mention of the choppy frame rate & screen tear during cut scenes? While the presentation is great, it's hampered by the poor frame rate & at times. It's a shame that this happens because it really takes away from the polished look of the game. Hopefully it can be addressed in a patch.
My apologies, the frame rate was mentioned

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »