Home

The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million

This is a discussion on The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million

The NCAA announced today it has settled the video games likenesses case brought upon by Sam Keller for $20 million. This is in addition to the $40 million EA and the CLC have agreed to pay to student athletes at certain schools who's likenesses were used without compensation.

“With the games no longer in production and the plaintiffs settling their claims with EA and the Collegiate Licensing Company, the NCAA viewed a settlement now as an appropriate opportunity to provide complete closure to the video game plaintiffs,” said NCAA Chief Legal Officer Donald Remy.

The complete details of the settlement remain to be finalized and this news also includes that the NCAA has removed their legal grievances against EA and the CLC as well.

Now that all of the video game likeness cases have been settled, for a college game to exist in the future the NCAA rules and bylaws will have to be rewritten to allow for student-athletes to receive compensation for their likenesses being used by partners.

At this time that is something which is being worked on by the major conferences, and it's possible the legal structures could exist in the future for a return of college sport video games. We'll be watching the developments closely!
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Rookie

Shakes's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million

I sure hope this goes for an NCAA basketball game as well. We really need one of those badly I feel.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

but for the time being, strip out ncaa 14, port it over to the new consoles and make some side cash with the generic football game.

thanks.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.

Last edited by BadAssHskr; 06-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Why not make an NCAA game with generic names and plyers and allow customization of attributes for those that wish to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0
I have a strange feeling that EA Sports NCAA will be back soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
I just wish they would have stuck with the game for this year and then had that groundwork developed for when they would be able to have actual players etc.

Heck I'd be happy with NCAA 15 being an upgraded port of NCAA 14 with updated uniforms (I'd even settle for no upgrade in the graphics if I could play it on my PS4).

I would love it if the rumors about 2K scanning players had to do with an All-Pro Football type game but with the NCAA, because that would be perfect if we could share rosters and there was an in-depth dynasty mode. I doubt they would throw resources towards something like that, but its not impossible (hey, it could happen).
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

This was settled fairly quickly, at least in terms of what it could have been...

So I actually do have hope we could see an NCAA '16 or a '17. This is coming from zero hope 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
I just wish they would have stuck with the game for this year and then had that groundwork developed for when they would be able to have actual players etc.

Heck I'd be happy with NCAA 15 being an upgraded port of NCAA 14 with updated uniforms (I'd even settle for no upgrade in the graphics if I could play it on my PS4).

I would love it if the rumors about 2K scanning players had to do with an All-Pro Football type game but with the NCAA, because that would be perfect if we could share rosters and there was an in-depth dynasty mode. I doubt they would throw resources towards something like that, but its not impossible (hey, it could happen).
I just don't think they could because conferences and teams were dropping out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »