Home

The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million

This is a discussion on The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdevin
Why not make an NCAA game with generic names and plyers and allow customization of attributes for those that wish to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because who really wants to do that? I like customization but that would be extreme
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Let's hope we get college sports games back. Would be so hyped for a new College Basketball game.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I just don't think they could because conferences and teams were dropping out.
1 team that I don't think was ever named but was believed to be Ohio State dropped out, and the Pac-12 and B1G also withdrew (the SEC wanted to withdraw their licensing but their contract prevented them from doing so for the '15 version of the game, they would have been gone the following year).

I get why they killed it (a lot of money to invest in developing a game that would have to be shelved after only 1 year, plus they were without 2 conferences and 1 major team) I just wish they hadn't of done so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
1 team that I don't think was ever named but was believed to be Ohio State dropped out, and the Pac-12 and B1G also withdrew (the SEC wanted to withdraw their licensing but their contract prevented them from doing so for the '15 version of the game, they would have been gone the following year).

I get why they killed it (a lot of money to invest in developing a game that would have to be shelved after only 1 year, plus they were without 2 conferences and 1 major team) I just wish they hadn't of done so.
The big thing is, those conferences/schools were dropping out due to legal concerns. Under a theoretical framework in the future that allows for compensation for deals like this, there is no compelling reason not to participate in such a game in the future for schools. Just need the legal framework within the NCAA to allow for such a thing, which could be coming as soon as August.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #13
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
I have to think this is GREAT news if you're a fan of NCAA video games. Maybe not this year or next, but sooner rather than later.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
I have to think this is GREAT news if you're a fan of NCAA video games. Maybe not this year or next, but sooner rather than later.

This! I am cautiously optimistic that we will see a licensed college football game in the near future. The writing is on the wall for the NCAA's "amateurism" model as a whole. And I hope that whatever form of compensation the players recieve will open the door for the real players to appear in the games. That would allow us to have more authentic player ratings and better looking models. Imagine Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota having their "gameface", authentic throwing motions, and player traits DPP, in the game and importing all of that to Madden. That would be insane.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

Re: The NCAA Settles Video Game Lawsuit For $20 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
This! I am cautiously optimistic that we will see a licensed college football game in the near future. The writing is on the wall for the NCAA's "amateurism" model as a whole. And I hope that whatever form of compensation the players recieve will open the door for the real players to appear in the games. That would allow us to have more authentic player ratings and better looking models. Imagine Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota having their "gameface", authentic throwing motions, and player traits DPP, in the game and importing all of that to Madden. That would be insane.
I'm thinking along the same lines. All of the dominoes are falling to allow CFB16 to happen. You have to think that EA is planning behind the scenes. O'Bannon is GOING to change amateur rules in college sports. Everyone wins with a CFB16 being released.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Rookie

Don't see it happening. Even paying a pittance, that's a ton of players making that amount and it'll add up fast. The NCAA games never sold that well and I don't think the extra income from actively marketing players in the game would offset the greatly increased licensing cost.

I want it to happen, but I don't see how it makes fiscal sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »