Home

Press Row Podcast - Madden NFL 15 Developer Interview

This is a discussion on Press Row Podcast - Madden NFL 15 Developer Interview within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Press Row Podcast - Madden NFL 15 Developer Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Rex makes me a believer. When I listen to him I get a warm and fuzzy feeling. I was also sipping the same Madden 25 Kool aid last year and it was a dud. But this does feel different. I love that Rex has a 5 year plan. I love that he believes their job is to make authentic football and then teach people hope to play it. I love that Rex is on a mission to remove money plays and they are working to make sure the game is balanced and based on ratings. I'm not all in on Rex just yet (I think this is a pivotal year for his crew) but am I at the table.
I was at the Rex table last fall when he was interviewed with Clint.

There were hardball questions and he gave direct, to the point answers.

That's all I've ever wanted, sometimes, the truth hurts.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2
Great interview and a confirmation of all the lies they have told for years. My only concern is the reintroduction of a form of suction tackling but as long as the AI is not using it than it should be all good. Many of the ideas they are adding are not new but its still good to see that they are trying to make it more realistic to the sport it claims to represent. I also like that the interviewer commented on the fact that there is no other option for Football gamers.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Suction tackling isn't a good thing but I do agree that they have to find a way to make it easier. With the poor player momentum in the past I would get really frustrated when I play my LB spot, get to the right place on the field and whiff on what should have been a routine tackle. Hopefully the suction halo is related to tackle ratings so great LBs make them easier.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Suction tackling isn't a good thing but I do agree that they have to find a way to make it easier. With the poor player momentum in the past I would get really frustrated when I play my LB spot, get to the right place on the field and whiff on what should have been a routine tackle. Hopefully the suction halo is related to tackle ratings so great LBs make them easier.
I agree with you here to a degree. However, it should be more tied to player positioning. That's probably my biggest gripe with Madden and is what leads to the controller throwing and smashing moments. The game scripts certain outcomes regardless of where the player is and the positioning. Often times you throw a pass to a receiver who clearly has inside position and separation and at the last minute, the DB warps in front with a shift and picks it off. Ratings may determine how the linebacker performs the tackle, technique and whether or not it slips through or whatever, but his positioning on the play should play a major role. I don't want to see the guy fly to the left and make a tackle if his momentum has him going right.

PLAYER MOVEMENT... That's the key.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I agree with you here to a degree. However, it should be more tied to player positioning. That's probably my biggest gripe with Madden and is what leads to the controller throwing and smashing moments. The game scripts certain outcomes regardless of where the player is and the positioning. Often times you throw a pass to a receiver who clearly has inside position and separation and at the last minute, the DB warps in front with a shift and picks it off. Ratings may determine how the linebacker performs the tackle, technique and whether or not it slips through or whatever, but his positioning on the play should play a major role. I don't want to see the guy fly to the left and make a tackle if his momentum has him going right.

PLAYER MOVEMENT... That's the key.
Definitely agree here and the fact that they SEEM to be moving towards real time transition in presentation, I hope translates over to all aspects. The fundamental issue in all these areas is Tiburon understanding that they can't just program multiple results because it leads to scripted outcomes, they have to program multiple processes which lead to quasi-organic outcomes. Again, they seem to be doing that with presentation so hopefully the entire game goes in that direction.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree that suction tackling shouldn't be in the game. But if it's done properly it's not suction tackling. As many have stated, when a LB whiffs on a tackle when he is right next to the guy it's frustrating and mind numbing. The defensive player should be reaching out and trying to grab the ball carrier. I don't want to see players auto guided to tackles but I do want to see defenders reacting as though they have their own set of eyes.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12
I'm not so sure I liked his answer on the number of user thrown interceptions. He basically said to go into the gauntlet and work on your game and you won't throw as many picks. Maybe some of the other improvements will balance things out but basically I could go 15 for 16 and my only incompletion is an interception. So, yeah I know how to pass (hopefully it gets harder) but in Madden 25 almost any 50/50 ball was picked off. Your one mistake led to an interception way too often.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
I'm not so sure I liked his answer on the number of user thrown interceptions. He basically said to go into the gauntlet and work on your game and you won't throw as many picks. Maybe some of the other improvements will balance things out but basically I could go 15 for 16 and my only incompletion is an interception. So, yeah I know how to pass (hopefully it gets harder) but in Madden 25 almost any 50/50 ball was picked off. Your one mistake led to an interception way too often.
I felt the same way you did and had this debate with the commissioner in my online league a few months back and he made the same point as Rex and it made sense to me. There is only so much that can be done, because how much can you mitigate bad user throws? You go 15/16 in a game but that 1 throw was simply a very risky throw that's pretty much it. You can't say "well user Ints are high so we need to completely dumb down CBs". Then it's more like a handicap. Admittedly I would like to see CBs playing with their back to the ball more and more deflections but that is not coming this year. Hopefully now with the accuracy tweaks and effort engine for WRs hopefully we'll see more contest on 50/50 balls that will serve to create more breakups than ints.

Last edited by dghustla; 06-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »