Home

NHL 15: First Gameplay Video Emerges

This is a discussion on NHL 15: First Gameplay Video Emerges within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: 2 minutes of Full-gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
My biggest issue with the game has always been the pinpoint accuracy of the passes. Tape-to-tape every time. Never do you see player just miss a pass. This should happen A LOT. The reason it's not in the game is because it would turn off 99% of casual gamers. To be on a 2-on-1 and have a pass put into your teammates skates or a pass that they just fan on, casual gamers would not understand this and just become frustrated.

But it's the reason that EA's games have never truly been simulation-style hockey games. I've always said that until you can play a hockey game with legitimate 20-minute periods and have realistic shot totals, something is off. What's off it that the passes are far too accurate. This can be toned down a bit with sliders but it's never good enough. Each player should have an attribute/rating of what I could call "pass reception." Players like Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane (sorry, Blackhawks fan here) should be able to receive just about any pass. I've seen Kane receive and control many bad passes into his skates, behind him, etc. However, lesser players should not be able to handle these types of passes. And on some occasions, passes that are made well should hit off the player's blade and be missed. It happens.
At around 26 seconds on a wide open pass to the slot the puck is rolling then bounces away off the receiving players stick, at around 32 seconds the cpu makes a pass that also bounces but the receiving player is able to settle it down. Likely on rookie or pro, with zero slider adjustments. I wouldn't panic just yet.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I don't watch much hockey at all, isn't the puck usually pretty loose from the hockey stick when someone is racing down the ice or simply trying to control the puck with their stick in real life? From this gameplay video, it looks like the puck is simply velcroed or stuck to the stick, and the player can pretty much do anything at will and the puck remains "attached/stuck" to the hockey stick.
Yes, kind of. If you're talking about a guy like Kane or Datsyuk, or even lesser players, who are flying up the ice but handling the puck, than there is a pretty good level of control, relative to their skill, but the puck is still loose technically speaking, yes. If you're just flying full bore, you may not even do any puck handling though and just kind of push the puck out ahead and keep up with it. In this instance the puck is totally loose. Neither is well represented in the NHL games, especially the latter. Think of it like cradling the ball in lacrosse. If you're cradling you have pretty good control. If you just tried to run with the ball in the pocket, it's prone to come loose.

On a side note, I'd like to see not just a much more noticeable different in speed and skating stride between players, but the ability to have different gears. It's actually really dumb that there is no sprint mechanic in the game. If you give me a lead pass and I have a chance to get behind the defender, I'm going to take a bunch of quick short strides to hit my maximum speed immediately. In the NHL series, all players skate with the same urgency at all times. That's a huge problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
ERA
MVP

ERA's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm already loving the puck physics, it really came into play with that pass intended to Kopitar. He was surrounded by 2 defenders and tried to secure the pass, but it came off of his stick. In 14, he would have gained control of that pass.

And to all of the negative comments, you can't judge 15 from this video. The game releases in 3 months... Wait until we see gameplay from the dev team before you start to get butthurt.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

Chelsea FC
Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA
I'm already loving the puck physics, it really came into play with that pass intended to Kopitar. He was surrounded by 2 defenders and tried to secure the pass, but it came off of his stick. In 14, he would have gained control of that pass.

And to all of the negative comments, you can't judge 15 from this video. The game releases in 3 months... Wait until we see gameplay from the dev team before you start to get butthurt.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

Im not really sure I want to judge off of anything the dev team gives us. They notoriously pick their spots, exaggerate, only highlight what they want us to see, etc. it's never as good as they say it will be.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #21

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Ok seriously why is hat er censored? Same idea As S****horpe/Scun thorpe United (take out the space)?
Doesn't really matter why anymore, it's nothing new. It's been censored for years now....And it was done for a reason.....

As for the video, hard to tell much with those two yahoo's playing. Puck physics looks somewhat promising, would love to get my hands on it and mess around with sliders a bit to see what we can do.

Too early for me to pass judgement (especially based on this video) but I can't really argue with any of the critiques made thus far after what we saw there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: NHL 15: First Gameplay Video Emerges

Hard to give an opinion on that video. I like the NBC scorebug at the top. Definitely adds to the presentation package.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 15: First Gameplay Video Emerges

Honestly.. i'm just really excited about the new presentation and announcers.. it's been WAY too long with the same stuff.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #24
Rookie

enice128's Arena

OVR: 3
I guess this will be the demo based on the SC teams right now. Any impressions on the broadcast team...esp Doc? Does he give u a heart attack in the game on just a simple innocent shot like he does to us all on live games?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »