Home

EA Sports UFC: Early Reviews Good to Mixed

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC: Early Reviews Good to Mixed within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57

Gazing around the internet today, it's pretty clear there are a wide range of opinions on EA Sports UFC -- with a pretty polarizing attitude generally towards the game.

GamingTrend gives the game a 75/100 saying, "In the end, EA Sports UFC is still a winner, but by split decision. Some of the omissions like cut and leg stoppages, and the odd bug here and there, make for a debut that is certainly better than EA Sports MMA."

Eurogamer has the game at a 7/10, saying, "EA Sports UFC is a game capable of brilliance. It's let down by some curious design decisions, signs of a team perhaps too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport."

GamesRadar checks in with a review of 3.5 stars out of 5, saying, "EA Sports UFC has plenty of talent; it's looks amazing and plays fantastically when you're staging fights with friends. However, when you decide to go it alone, the gaps in AI skill and the dearth of additional content becomes problematic."

Overall the general trend of reviews is the game has tons of potential, with a solid rookie debut, but there's a lot of work left to do for future iterations.

What do you think?
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports UFC: Early Reviews Good to Mixed

"too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport."

I think that sums it up perfectly. Way too much flash, too many moves that you hardly ever see in an actual fight, and not enough substance. Still a decent game overall though.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Banned

UFC/WWE. Skipping this one for sure.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
"too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport."

I think that sums it up perfectly. Way too much flash, too many moves that you hardly ever see in an actual fight, and not enough substance. Still a decent game overall though.
This is the problem with many EA games. Also looking for over the top instead of just nailing the core principles of the games they are developing.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7

I think it sums up EA sports in general. Glad I waited for Gamefly on this one. Probably going to do the same with all EA sports releases, I just don't trust EA's quality lately, going with a rent then buy approach to all titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Totally agree with Eurogamer. It's still a fun game glad I have it, but man it could have been so much better.

What's sad is that the answers to making it better sit in the wish list thread, and have sat there for over a year or so.

7/10

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 06-17-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Totally agree with Eurogamer. It's still a fun game glad I have it, but man it could have been so much better.

I think the fun element is missing which is the most disappointing to me. The game feels soulless.

My expectations were low but I just don't see what the resources were spent on for such a long development time.

The youtube comment spot on.

I just don't know why they can't have an arcade and simulation mode setting. It just isn't that hard.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Banned

Some of the responses from the game devs have been bizarre. Really, leg damage is a "health event" you can fully recover from to throw spinning kicks and Showtime kicks off the cage? WTF are they smoking over there?!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »