Home

Sound Off: Is Football (Finally) on the Rise in America?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Football (Finally) on the Rise in America? within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
MVP

razorkaos's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sound Off: Is Football (Finally) on the Rise in America?

I think i understand what sparkdawg is talking about. The problem is cultural. I say this cause i see a similar problem here in Brazil: the great media "kills" other sports, mocking them and acting like other sports are "exotic". It's easier (and cheaper) for them to focus in soccer only, so we rarely see some support to other sports from the media. There is only one open tv channel here that broadcasts NFL games. Other than that, we only see Volleyball, Handball (it's gradually growing around here), Judo and Swimming. The NBA, NHL and MLB games are only for those who can pay for cable/satellite tv (or we watch on the internet via streams).

You may be a football fan, a baseball fan, a soccer fan, doesn't matter. If you're a sports fan, above all other things, you will at least respect every sport. Hell, even curling got our attention here during the winter games and we only have snow in one state, and it's as rare as you can imagine.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdawg777
I am from the south and grew up with 3 sports Football, Basketball and Baseball. I grew up being taught to hate soccer along with many of my friends who were also the best athletes in high school, soccer was not cool.
Baseball is though and you can't play baseball and soccer because they both fall in the spring.
That is kind of weird because they play soccer in the fall here in NC and just about everywhere else I have been. I have traveled across the states quite a bit. Like you, I played football throughout my youth because it really is the sport in the south. Soccer at my school during my time there was always for the super preppy jerk offs. You seriously had to be part of their social elite to play, so that was my turn off to the game.

Years later, I found soccer and see that it is an amazing game. I think most people underrate MLS and the talent that it does attract. MLS is on par with second level of English soccer which is called the championship. the lower english leagues (below the premier league) are still the better ones in Europe.

Next thing is that the MLS was created and designed to give americans playing time for the world cup. It is not designed to compete with other leagues over who is better. This is also the reason why there are salary caps and limit to how many international players can play for each team. Look at what it has done for the national team. We might not have the world class talent that other countries have on their teams, but our worst players are not far in difference from our best players. This means that we have tightened the gap between talent on the team which causes the team to play more consistent. There has also been a big increase in MLS based american players breaking into Europe. Sure they haven't had much success but at least they are there and have the opportunity to get that chance.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #19
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorkaos
I think i understand what sparkdawg is talking about. The problem is cultural. I say this cause i see a similar problem here in Brazil: the great media "kills" other sports, mocking them and acting like other sports are "exotic". It's easier (and cheaper) for them to focus in soccer only, so we rarely see some support to other sports from the media. There is only one open tv channel here that broadcasts NFL games. Other than that, we only see Volleyball, Handball (it's gradually growing around here), Judo and Swimming. The NBA, NHL and MLB games are only for those who can pay for cable/satellite tv (or we watch on the internet via streams).

You may be a football fan, a baseball fan, a soccer fan, doesn't matter. If you're a sports fan, above all other things, you will at least respect every sport. Hell, even curling got our attention here during the winter games and we only have snow in one state, and it's as rare as you can imagine.
I wonder how well you guys would do at other sports if they had a chance. I am kind of surprised that basketball isn't bigger in Brazil.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
When I was a kid, youth soccer leagues exploded. This was in the mid to early 90s. Shortly after that, the MLS started up. So soccer has enjoyed a pretty steady rise for going on two decades in America. But I don't know why you're questioning soccer's rise. I'd call any increase in popularity a rise. I imagine as the latino heritage in America grows, so will the sport's base. Which means by default it'll get more exposure to our youths across the spectrum.

On the otherside, I think the NFL is setting itself up for a monster decline. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are in the twilight of their careers. They might have 2 or 3 years left in the tank. And I don't see where the draw will come after them. The players are getting more and more unrelateable. You could have a situation not unlike the NBA when MJ hung it up. Starting to figure out why all those rules are in place to keep QB's upright. Brady and Manning are viewed as the life blood of their sport, and the longer they're around the better for the NFL.
We said the same thing when Marino, Aikmen, Young, etc decided to retire. The NFL will be always be ok, there might be a couple seasons where it might get more mediocre than it is now but it will never be on the decline like the NBA.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #21
MVP

razorkaos's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
I wonder how well you guys would do at other sports if they had a chance. I am kind of surprised that basketball isn't bigger in Brazil.
Yeah, me too. I think we just waste a lot of talent and good opportunities to popularize other sports. See, Hortencia and Oscar Schmidt, they're legends, and even then, we only created a professional basketball league a few years ago (we have some american players here too, but they're not at NBA level). I could say the same for Tennis (Gustavo Kuerten won Roland Garros 3 times, and we never have developed our Tennis).

Other than soccer, we only have real support (sponsors) to our Volleyball players and for some of Judo and Swimming athletes. And it's a ridiculous situation. When i was still in Karate, my master was in the national team, and he and the other athletes had to pay for all of their expenses if they wanted to compete. This kind of thing happens all the time, and it makes me really sad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #22
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
I hated soccer. Thought it was a ridiculously boring sport since teams would hardly score for 90 minutes, goals mostly looked like luck, and the thought of ending games with a tie seemed ridiculous. Soon, soccer became enjoyable to play, but really I find any sport worth playing.

Then, I recently tried the FIFA 14 demo on PS4 and it has become something I have to play everyday...a demo! I never got around to buying FIFA 14 and definitely won't, but for the first time, I'm following details on FIFA 15. Also, I am watching soccer full games through for the first time. While it still bothers me that matches can end in ties, I actually have grown to appreciate watching the skill of some players. So, you could say FIFA got me into actual soccer (even though I used to play Backyard Soccer when I was a kid, then again I played all Backyard Sports games).

I definitely feel a growing interest in soccer, much more interest in the video games though. My interest is not even close to where it is for baseball and basketball though, two sports I go as crazy for as those fans who cheer for goals. And I like football (which I feel should be called soccer or American rugby). But soccer may be the fourth sport I take seriously.

What I don't get, however, is how developers are able to come up with the OVR for players in soccer games. Aside from the stars that are clearly better, I feel everyone else is a blur, like I don't understand how you can rate players who spend 80-90% of their time just running and passing the ball? This also applies to goalies somewhat since there are shots and situations no goalie can stop. Help out a new soccer fan please lol
Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #23
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
What I don't get, however, is how developers are able to come up with the OVR for players in soccer games. Aside from the stars that are clearly better, I feel everyone else is a blur, like I don't understand how you can rate players who spend 80-90% of their time just running and passing the ball? This also applies to goalies somewhat since there are shots and situations no goalie can stop. Help out a new soccer fan please lol
Thats like saying how can football games rate offensive and defensive linemen since all they do block and fill gaps.

Midfielders in soccer have different roles. Some link the offense and feed the forwards, others patrol the midfield to cause turnovers. The midfielder's role changes depending on formation and overall strategy.

I think it is good that you are giving soccer a chance and watching the sport. Try to keep watching after the world cup and try to find a team that plays in a style that you like.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #24
MVP

fugazi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky
The fact that there are not many comments on this topic sort of shows soccer still has a long long way to go lol
You made that judgment after 14 minutes? What do you think this is, facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky
As far as popular in the USA , I've been saying it for years , the mls has to get rid of the ties and make the rules benefit more scoring and you actually might have a shot to move up to 3 or 4 in the top major sports

Other than that , most people are right now are just supporting the nation as a whole, nothing more to read into it
Don't worry, MLS doesn't need to and will not change the rules. The MLS and "American soccer culture" are doing just fine by treating the game as they should...

the idea that, in the US, soccer should be played in a completely different fashion with different rules is really so sophomoric and ridiculous it barely merits comment at all.

"supporting the nation as a whole, nothing more to read into it." laughable. really. embarrassing. not to mention as far as possible from correct as can be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »