Home

The Golf Club Video - The Flop Shot

This is a discussion on The Golf Club Video - The Flop Shot within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The Golf Club Video - The Flop Shot

Check out the latest video from The Golf Club, as discuss and show you when to use a flop shot.

Quote:
The Flop Shot really comes into play when you need to loft the ball a short distance over something yet have very little green to work with the other side. Holding the club slightly further down the grip, the aim is to maximise clubface loft at the moment the club contacts the ball. The wrists should ‘cock’ in the backswing and the swing is long and leisurely with your hands slightly ahead of the ball. It is primarily played with the Lob Wedge but the Sand Wedge and Pitching Wedge can also be used.
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Rookie

mctrees02's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Golf Club Video - The Flop Shot

There are so many unrealistic things going on with how they've implemented the flop shot here.
- You cannot hit one from 40 yards out.
- You definitely can't hit one with a PW (unless you had a PW shaped like a wedge rather than matching to your iron set...and then you'd need to shave off all of the bounce).
- You can't hit a flop shot while decelerating the club into impact.
- You can't hit a flop shot from the rough with the ball sitting up because the club will go straight under the ball. If the ball is sitting down in the rough, then it will come out without much spin because of grass on the club face.
- You can't hit one off a downhill lie and expect it to bounce and stop.

What they have here are a lot of pitch shots where one might open up the club face on a SW/LW but they are far from being a flop shot similar to the swing motion that the player is using.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

I completely agree.
But since it's a video game, I think they should just take away the ability to flop with PW and take off a bit of spin because you don't really get a ton of spin with a flop, its like throwing a ball straight up in the air.

And how would they implement a system where a full backswing but a slow downswing = skull or double hit?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

There are so many unrealistic things going on with how they've implemented the flop shot here.
BS: I've hit plenty of flop shots around 40 yards out. 40 yards is about the max a flop will go.

- You definitely can't hit one with a PW (unless you had a PW shaped like a wedge rather than matching to your iron set...and then you'd need to shave off all of the bounce).
Very true... 56-64 degree wedges for the flop

Also true
- You can't hit a flop shot from the rough with the ball sitting up because the club will go straight under the ball. If the ball is sitting down in the rough, then it will come out without much spin because of grass on the club face.
Completely false. Now it's not going more than 15 yards but you can most certainly flop one out of the rough sitting up.

You are going to do nothing but skull that.

What they have here are a lot of pitch shots where one might open up the club face on a SW/LW but they are far from being a flop shot similar to the swing motion that the player is using.
You make some good points, it's not a true flop shot, but compared to any other golf game, it can't really be abused.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

the flags in the wind look horrible
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallcoach
BS: I've hit plenty of flop shots around 40 yards out. 40 yards is about the max a flop will go.
I agree. I don't bump and run often, I play pitches of course, but I use a flop anywhere from 40 yards out. I have to use my 56 degree wedge/sand wedge for that, and swing hard. Anything 30 and closer I use my 60 degree.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

calm down...its just a video game flop shot. yea you cant decelerate on your downswing, but everything else is fine. and yes, ive hit flop shots out of the rough with my PW.

the one thing that is weird to me is the bad posture of the character. their backs are too rounded. not sure how they arrived at that but it makes the golfer look like an 18 handicapper. maybe they tried to create an average posture of joe's and sarah's at driving ranges across the country....
Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Rookie

Tommy Boy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctrees02

As others have said yes you can hit 40 yard flops.

You can do them with PW's (to your point I have done them with both my 48* cleveland 588 and my nike vrs forged PW)

You can hit a flop out of rough if you use previously discussed PW's all about assessing the lie

And to mother point you made they never said decelerating they said "full back swing with a slow swing" I watched it a couple times and to me that's a big distinction as decelling and slow deliberate swing are 2 different monsters slow swing can get you a nice high soft landing but not as much back spin. Decelling can cause only headaches lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »