Home

NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement

This is a discussion on NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Rookie

puba1978's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement

Straight BS!!!!!
I wonder if Ed Obannon was a star NBA player with even the modest amount of fortune...would he have went on this quest? My itching Balls say NO. Straight up scum bag
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

I still don't understand why the couldn't just have a random player generator for rosters from now on. I could see not making the rosters life like, but why can't we just play with schools with fake people? After about three or four years into a dynasty, its all fake players anyway.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4468
I still don't understand why the couldn't just have a random player generator for rosters from now on. I could see not making the rosters life like, but why can't we just play with schools with fake people? After about three or four years into a dynasty, its all fake players anyway.
Conferences and schools are/have dropped out of this and no longer want to be affiliated with the video game for the risk of being sued by students/players. That's the bigger issue. Plus I think EA agreed with stop making games to avoid further legal action. Once everything is sorted out with the likeness thing I believe we'll have NCAA video games again. Just it will be a long time before that happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
Rookie

the guys who rebuild rosters to have actual players on them should get $20,000 for their efforts, always appreciated!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Rookie

MichaelAngeloTMNT's Arena

You guys are looking at this wrong. Sure, we don't have a game this year or probably next year, but once the NCAA allows the Athletes to receive compensation, imagine how realistic the game will be. Real players, likeness, headshots, ect. These athletes should get paid, O'Bannon won't earn much from this trial, but he will help Athletes get paid in the future and allow a much more realistic video game for us to enjoy.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

Here is a what if solution that maybe anybody with a legal background could help: What if the Judge sides with the NCAA and the O'Bannon team loses the case? The likelihood of that happening looks slim but it could happen. Wouldn't that set a precedent for future cases? So student athletes in the future couldn't be able to sue on the rights of likeness because of how this turned out and the ruling? And if that is the case, wouldn't the EA Sports team be able to go back to making the game like it was before but with less obvious players/numbers on the team (ie, randomized rosters)? Just a thought and not sure how that would hold up legally.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
Rookie

MichaelAngeloTMNT's Arena

Either way there will be an NCAA Football game again. The EA Exec said during the trial they were making $80 mil a year off of NCAA Football alone. EA said it wants to continue to make the Football series, they just need to wait until this is straightened out. Whether the NCAA wins or O'Bannon wins, there will be a NCAA Football game again. NCAA Basketball or Baseball is unlikely, but possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

The real winner may be the FCS/I-AA players that were in earlier versions of the game. EA Sports didn't bother changing all the I-AA rosters with each version, so some teams weren't updated for 4+ years.

It will be interesting to see if those particular players will receive the maximum $20,000 for appearing in all the versions or just $5,000 for just appearing "once."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »