Home

What Really Killed NCAA Football? The Lawsuit or the Lack of a Playoff?

This is a discussion on What Really Killed NCAA Football? The Lawsuit or the Lack of a Playoff? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
What Really Killed NCAA Football? The Lawsuit or the Lack of a Playoff?

Checking in today with his personal take on the lack of NCAA Football this summer, Owen Good writes that it won't be the lawsuit that does the series in, it will be the lack of a playoff option in old games.

Quote:
"And nothing will give it the College Football Playoff, or any game mode resembling the four-team finals that begin with this year's postseason. It would have been intriguing to see it handled by this series,which had always done a smooth job of making the human-voted aspects of college football seem lifelike (even to the point of believably screwing have-nots out of big bowl bids or ignoring their players for big honors.)

That's a big blow to a series that was, in hindsight, still one of the most cunningly future-proofed titles in licensed sports video gaming, thanks to a number of key features."

What do you think about the lack of a playoff option in NCAA? Are you going to play last year's game with updated rosters?
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A lawsuit isn't what really killed NCAA Football; the lack of a playoff did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Checking in today with his personal take on the lack of NCAA Football this summer, Owen Good writes that it won't be the lawsuit that does the series in, it will be the lack of a playoff option in old games.

What do you think about the lack of a playoff option in NCAA? Are you going to play last year's game with updated rosters?

We dont really have much of a choice...
Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
I disagree with the article. If NCAA 15 came out with the old system, I would still be the first in line. I have near 300 games of 14 under my belt. Game play wise, it is difficult to fire up 14 because: 1) I feel like there is nothing new to see. 2) I have a PS4. Ncaa was always my go to game. I have been playing with the same group of guys for 20 years, so it is sad to see it go.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

radney's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
I disagree with the article. If NCAA 15 came out with the old system, I would still be the first in line. I have near 300 games of 14 under my belt. Game play wise, it is difficult to fire up 14 because: 1) I feel like there is nothing new to see. 2) I have a PS4. Ncaa was always my go to game. I have been playing with the same group of guys for 20 years, so it is sad to see it go.
I agree. I still fire up my NCAA 14. I'm saddened that I won't be able to enjoy it on XB1. Even though, there's updated rosters out there to reflect the 2014 season, I probably won't use them because you can't get the correct changes in the schedule for the upcoming season.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
I still love to play the game. Don't really care about the play-off, if anything I'd prefer the old bowl system. My only disappointment is not being able to enjoy NCAA on my XB1 or PS4. As much as I love Madden, it just can't equal the recruiting and off-season management of NCAA, hopefully Madden 15 offers a deeper off-season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

One of the greatest tools was given to us by Xanathol, but I'm shocked to find that the majority of OS still doesn't know about it or have chose not to use it to altar/enhance any previous NCAA release.
generic-editor-ncaa-14

His editor allows us to do things with game (Gameplay, some visuals) that were hidden from the gamer.

Dealing with your OP, here is a thread that deals with this specific topic.
ncaa-2014-four-team-playoff-guide-plus-more-modding

These are other threads of Gameplay topics that contain a collaboration of community folks manipulating and testing, that have given us the ability to enhance the experience of playing NCAA Football.

No other Slider thread compares to what these guys have found out concerning what sliders actually will do to Gameplay/Animations.
ncaa-14-os-community-playmakers-split-sliders

Here is a thread that gives a foundation on how to manipulate Player Ratings to achieve the type of Gameplay/Animations each gamer would want.
true-gameplay-inside-ratings

Tdawg has made it possible for gamers to set Rating Thresholds and run their Roster/Dynasty through his Excel Workbook which sets the whole roster to these settings.
tdawgs-adjusted-scale-re-rated-roster

And to top it off, PocketScout has provided the community with a gorgeous html set up that puts each gamers Dynasty into an online web page that has everything about your Dynasty.
pocketscout-ncaa-2014-webpage-creator

So the community here at OS has found ways to make the game fresh and new while providing the ability to apply the topic noted in the OP.

And we've just scratched the surface because we really haven't gotten into the Dynasty portion.

BTW, thanks Steve for allowing the community to do this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: png Dynasty Web Page.png (211.5 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by khaliib; 07-12-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

khaliib mentioned what I was going to. There's the editor that can add a 4 team playoff (or 8 team or 16 team or whatever you want) to NCAA 14 already. The amount of replayability this adds to the game is tremendous.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

The BCS had it right. I'm perfectly fine playing without a playoff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »