Home

Madden NFL 15: Best RBs in the Game, The Future of the Position

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15: Best RBs in the Game, The Future of the Position within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Madden NFL 15: Best RBs in the Game, The Future of the Position

Agreed with other statements: it's cyclical.

Rules were changed to aid the passing game and increase scoring, something that a running game does not dictate as much because of the pace the run-game dictates. It's slow ball. That's not going to show up on highlight reels, excite fantasy sports stat lines and make ESPN plays of the day.

On a side note, modern defenders are downright piss poor at tackling. I can only image what talented ball carriers of yesteryear would do against modern pillow-soft defenses.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

You will not see another line like the wall of Dallas and a bruiser like Emitt pounding the pelota behind them w an injured shoulder for 30+ carries - those days are over.

Im looking for elusive backs that can juke n jive out of singleback sets to make a new imprint on the run game.

The 49'ers and 'Hawks are still smash mouth teams w Gore and Lynch and they are succeeding but their style w those backs is among the minority which tells me it is not a simple economical style one can replicate today.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I grew up watching football in the late-1980s and 1990s, which seemed, in contrast to today, very much an era of the running back. I feel lucky to have been able to watch all of the careers of Barry, Thurman, and Emmitt, and to have caught parts of Dickerson's career.

As that was the era that shaped my identity as a fan, I pine for the days when the two-back set was king and the concept of the workhorse back reigned.

I really don't like the spread, the single back, or the committee approach. Accordingly, I won't shape my Madden team that way. I want to try to win like SEA did last year, with a punishing ground game at the center of the offensive game plan and a strong defense behind it. So I'll privilege drafting bell-cow-types if I can find them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

AP Elusiveness, Stiff Arm, and Trucking should be 99!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0
I think the RB value is still there! Teams don't run as much b/c they don't have the offensive to run block like teams had years ago! So many team are going to the pass b/c its easier for the offensive line to pass block. Top backs are still a must have
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

With the improved blocking, animations/framerate & control fidelity on PS4, I really enjoy running the ball in Madden. I probably want to run more than NFL average and consequently would put more value in a having a top back, if only because Madden hasn't made fatigue enough of a factor over the years. I hope RB fatigue and rotation are a bigger factor in the game this year. It's easy enough for me to do it manually, but I want to need to do it, and of course see the CPU mix up more frequently.

I spent a lot of time creating a custom playbook centered around power running plays out of lots 2-TE, some 2-back, and bunch sets. I assume there's no way to import it into '15, so I'll build it again and enjoy pounding the ball with Bell & Blount, with a little Archer sprinkled in.

Last edited by Qb; 07-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
The rushing attack will return. With defenders becoming more about speed and agility to defend the pass, offensive co-ordinators will begin to bring back the ground and pound in a few years.
The league will adjust and we will see more running eventually. Especially once teams go with smaller faster dline and switch from 2 safeties and 2 corners to 1 safety and 3 corners on what were previously considered non-passing down and distance. These smaller sets will be ripe for the power running game. The only sad thing is that the backs of today are just not as big or hardy as they were 10 years ago so the first back that comes out with some size and heart will be a major problem for these new light and fast defenses. It wont happen this year but I would think within in the next 5 years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I grew up watching football in the late-1980s and 1990s, which seemed, in contrast to today, very much an era of the running back. I feel lucky to have been able to watch all of the careers of Barry, Thurman, and Emmitt, and to have caught parts of Dickerson's career.

As that was the era that shaped my identity as a fan, I pine for the days when the two-back set was king and the concept of the workhorse back reigned.

I really don't like the spread, the single back, or the committee approach. Accordingly, I won't shape my Madden team that way. I want to try to win like SEA did last year, with a punishing ground game at the center of the offensive game plan and a strong defense behind it. So I'll privilege drafting bell-cow-types if I can find them.
I grew up watching the bears in the early 80's so Payton , hershel, barry sandersy, iron head hayward, christian okaye and Bo jackson those are the running styles I loved. Add on that some solid hard hitting defenses, football heaven. I miss the black and blue days and it took me a lot to accept the new prima dona league. Seeing AP go hard in 2012 was a rare treat for me and he proved that when faced with bruising running most of todays players cannot tackle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »