Home

Layoffs Hit EA Tiburon?

This is a discussion on Layoffs Hit EA Tiburon? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Layoffs Hit EA Tiburon?

It appears EA Tiburon has laid off some employees from the Madden team, according to Inquisitr.

It wasn't long ago when some of the NCAA developers were impacted by the game being cancelled, while others were brought over to the Madden team.

These types of things typically happen at the end of the cycle. We have reached out to EA Sports for comment. We wish the best to those that were impacted.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Layoffs Hit EA Tiburon?

So after they do that whole EA ACCESS thing, they still have to lay people off? Jeez. They are either mis-managing money, or someone is really doing a bad job.

If Madden was cancelled would the rights be unlocked again?

Wonder if they will release any names of who was laid off, or if it was a lot of guys we know nothing about.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15

I would love to know what percentage of the money goes to the top guys. I wish we had more visionaries at the top spots instead of financial moguls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
---

TexasFan2005's Arena

Layoffs Hit EA Tiburon?

Stinks for the guys who lost their job. I'm interested to see if we'll hear any disgruntled ex-employee unravel the many mysteries that exist behind closed doors at EA.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

If I was one of those who lost my job I wouldn't be very happy about how much I'm sure that Madden season commercial cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Rookie

This has not been a kind year for EA Football Dev teams
Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
So after they do that whole EA ACCESS thing, they still have to lay people off? Jeez. They are either mis-managing money, or someone is really doing a bad job.

If Madden was cancelled would the rights be unlocked again?

Wonder if they will release any names of who was laid off, or if it was a lot of guys we know nothing about.
As you'll see in the article this is not uncommon at the end of a development cycle. They hire animators and programmers as the game starts that part of the production process and then when the work is done they lay them off. Its how a developer keeps from wasting money for months at a time while they go through the planning stages of their next game.

Suckerpunch Productions just did the same thing the other day as work on Second Son and its standalone DLC First Light are finished. Now they will be planning their next project for a long while and will eventually rehire a similar amount of workers when they actually have work for them to do (for a developer like them the process is longer as they aren't on a yearly schedule and tend to spend several months writing the story, developing the ideas they want to touch on, and the type of gameplay they want to introduce).

Madden won't be cancelled, EA has too much money in the game (and they certainly wouldn't be preparing to cancel a commercially successful product before its latest edition comes out), but yes, if EA lost their minds and cancelled one of its most well-known and profitable IPs the license would become available to whoever wished to pick it up.

EA has a contract with the NFL to make a game with the license, if they aren't making a game they are fulfilling their part of the contract.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
MVP

Syce's Arena

EA should just move those guys that are laid off and move them to the NHL sector and help them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »