Home

Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Madden NFL 15 Reviews From Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8knight1
I will criticize GI in that they attack CFM shortcomings out of the gate without seemingly to have played a down of the game first. I'm in the gameplay first camp. Good game bro's review was incredibly complete top to bottom.

you really think they haven't had to game for a while now? I'm sure they have played CFM plenty.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

This was my first exposure to Goodgamebro, and I have to say I am impressed. Very detailed review, gave me all the info I needed. I feel like I don't even need to read another review.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 28

I read a few reviews late last night (which included a few of the ones that were posted in the OP), and I notice the common theme. There are improvements, but they are not enough. This is always the common thread with Madden. These micro-steps towards a complete and well-implemented football game take WAAAAAAY too long, and with the power of exclusivity, it adds an entitlement to say, "be patient, it takes time" from the developers. a decade is too long to wait just to get the stuff back that we had in past games, and quite frankly, these reviews sound almost like a cut and paste from last year (and the year before). While I can appreciate the passion and effort (and candidness) of Rex and team, the execution is still very lacking. Since Madden is the only football game, I want to see it compared more to its peers like The Show, FIFA, and NBA 2k. The fact that anyone could say that the presentation is on par with NBA 2k and FIFA tells me that they are clearly watching or playing a different game than I am seeing. The commentary in Madden is still bad (this after nearly 4 iterations of the game when we were told this "new technology" would be used"). FIFA has multiple broadcast teams and the banter flows smoothly. NBA 2k has the TNT branding and it replicates quite amazingly. NHL has the real NBC Sports team and branding. What does Madden have, the EA Tiburon Sports network that shows highlights with dead space and zoomed in camera angles that don't allow you to see the play unfold?

Also, in the videos, many OSers were speaking up about the "inaccuracy system" not being prevalent enough and sure enough it's been commented on in a few reviews already. Skyboxer also mentioned it. Eh, I could write so much more, but really I'd just be regurgitating the same stuff I have for 7 years and what good comes out of it?

I just wish the bar would be raised more for this game and the expectations would hold this team more accountable. Reviews are powerful, and this game should never earn anything past a 7 if you were to compare it to not only its peers, but to itself from 2 gens ago and other competing football games of the past. The one thing that can actually gain the ear of the, apparently, tone def EA execs would be review scores and that doesn't happen because they are always inflated. Oh well, hopefully the guys who really enjoy Madden can have a great year with the game. For me, I'm just exasperated and completely worn out with this game. It's like pulling on a rope for 9 years and never being able to gain any ground.

Last edited by GiantBlue76; 08-21-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I read a few reviews late last night (which included a few of the ones that were posted in the OP), and I notice the common theme. There are improvements, but they are not enough. This is always the common thread with Madden. These micro-steps towards a complete and well-implemented football game take WAAAAAAY too long, and with the power of exclusivity, it adds an entitlement to say, "be patient, it takes time" from the developers. a decade is too long to wait just to get the stuff back that we had in past games, and quite frankly, these reviews sound almost like a cut and paste from last year (and the year before). While I can appreciate the passion and effort (and candidness) of Rex and team, the execution is still very lacking. Since Madden is the only football game, I want to see it compared more to its peers like The Show, FIFA, and NBA 2k. The fact that anyone could say that the presentation is on par with NBA 2k and FIFA tells me that they are clearly watching or playing a different game than I am seeing. The commentary in Madden is still bad (this after nearly 4 iterations of the game when we were told this "new technology" would be used"). FIFA has multiple broadcast teams and the banter flows smoothly. NBA 2k has the TNT branding and it replicates quite amazingly. NHL has the real NBC Sports team and branding. What does Madden have, the EA Tiburon Sports network that shows highlights with dead space and zoomed in camera angles that don't allow you to see the play unfold?

Also, in the videos, many OSers were speaking up about the "inaccuracy system" not being prevalent enough and sure enough it's been commented on in a few reviews already. Skyboxer also mentioned it. Eh, I could write so much more, but really I'd just be regurgitating the same stuff I have for 7 years and what good comes out of it?

I just wish the bar would be raised more for this game and the expectations would hold this team more accountable. Reviews are powerful, and this game should never earn anything past a 7 if you were to compare it to not only its peers, but to itself from 2 gens ago and other competing football games of the past. The one thing that can actually gain the ear of the, apparently, tone def EA execs would be review scores and that doesn't happen because they are always inflated. Oh well, hopefully the guys who really enjoy Madden can have a great year with the game. For me, I just exasperated completely worn out with this game. It's like pulling on a rope for 9 years and never being able to gain any ground.
There is literally 0 incentive for EA to take the time and money to significantly improve Madden.

"Be patient" means "we are not doing it, because it costs more than it's worth, because you'll buy anyway because there is no other option."

Madden sits in a perfect spot. It sells not because people love Madden, but because people love football. They could turn every player into little piles of poo running around the field and it would still sell. And with no competition, where else will people turn?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Eh, Sage, that hasn't been true the last few years, though. The reviews, based on my memeory, have been mediocre at best.
They still end up with about an 80 on metacritic, green rating. When you read the reviews, you can tell how the highest ones are by people who read the EA press release and who don't play sports games by habit.

I'd say the reviews have been weaker the last couple of years, but still inflated. The trend of the general reviewers tends to lag what hard core gamers think about the game by a couple of years, in my view.

With that in mind, after last year's uninspiring versions of the game, reviews might be weak this year even if the game is really better.

This is why I will pay much more attention to these boards than any published reviews, and wait to decide about buying until about September 10th or so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
They still end up with about an 80 on metacritic, green rating. When you read the reviews, you can tell how the highest ones are by people who read the EA press release and who don't play sports games by habit.

I'd say the reviews have been weaker the last couple of years, but still inflated. The trend of the general reviewers tends to lag what hard core gamers think about the game by a couple of years, in my view.

With that in mind, after last year's uninspiring versions of the game, reviews might be weak this year even if the game is really better.

This is why I will pay much more attention to these boards than any published reviews, and wait to decide about buying until about September 10th or so.
Yep, the reviews have been 7.5 two years out of the last three years at OS, but people will believe what they want to believe.

7.5 is good, not great.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Eh, Sage, that hasn't been true the last few years, though. The reviews, based on my memeory, have been mediocre at best.
I mean I hate to go by metacritic, but to my understanding it's a culmination of all the scores reviewed by the media, and Madden has scored no lower than a 74, and that was for Madden 06, which we all know was one of the worst Maddens in it's history. All the other games scored in the 80s.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I mean I hate to go by metacritic, but to my understanding it's a culmination of all the scores reviewed by the media, and Madden has scored no lower than a 74, and that was for Madden 06, which we all know was one of the worst Maddens in it's history. All the other games scored in the 80s.
I don't even look at or consider metacritic.

I thought you were referencing OS, two of the three years 7.5 scores.

I could care less what IGN gives for a score.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »