Home

Madden NFL 15: Playing Defense Isn't Utterly Boring Anymore

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15: Playing Defense Isn't Utterly Boring Anymore within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 15: Playing Defense Isn't Utterly Boring Anymore

Up until last year, playing defense was about as fun as watching grass grow in Madden. Perhaps I am overstating things a bit, but the simple truth is that Madden was only really fun on one side of the ball. Defense was a burden you bore to get to the next offensive possession.

Not so this year.

Defense this year actually has compelling components to it and, dare I say it, it's actually kind of fun. Playing as a defensive end and trying to get around an elite OT is a challenge I've long waited for in Madden. The big thing defense is missing is a set of dedicated DB/WR interactions you can utilize while playing as a member of your favorite team's secondary.

I did notice that rushing the passer was a little too easy on default settings, so I did have to employ some slider tweaks. The good news is sliders are effective at curing many of the little problems you will run into in this game, so many will get a game they really love with time.

Here are three ways I've found defense to be much improved:
  1. Tackling isn't a simple button mash anymore. There is a moment in every approach of the ballcarrier that you have to decide if you want to risk missing out to deliver a bit hit or not. I've missed tackles due to this, so there's a real risk/reward you have to employ while trying to tackle the ballcarrier.
  2. The DL mechanics are simple, but they work. Rushing around the end with an elite pass rusher and trying to beat an elite OT is a wondrous experience. It adds intrigue to each play for sure, although I do hope in the future the player-to-player interactions become more dynamic to show this battle unfold each play.
  3. Playing as a LB or DB is more fun, not all the way where it should be. If you prefer to play as a LB or DB, it's certainly more fun than it has been to play in Madden, especially with the new over the shoulder camera angle. Shedding blocks makes playing as a LB'er much more of a timing based thing, almost like a mini-game in and of itself, but you'll feel weird in pass coverage almost guaranteed. The controls certainly work, although you do get the feeling there is another layer you aren't getting to fully explore at this level. Compared to last year, we've definitely taken a noticeable step forward though.
I will have more thoughts on defense and the mechanics you employ in my review of Madden NFL 15 coming up soon here on OS. Until then, enjoy my random stream of thoughts about the game I will be posting throughout the day on my Twitter feed.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
This is good newsbut it still sucks you need slidersto make the balance better
Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
Too bad there's no demo. So much sounds promising, but videos make it seem like many of the legacy issues are still there. It's going to be tough to commit to buying this game because of it. I just worry that your first week or two with the game is getting used to some of these new features causing you to overlook other aspects. Once that newness wears off, legacy issues will make the game boring and fustrating rather quickly like in the past.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13
My question is whether playing defense is fun in the 360 version. I hated defense in M25, since the game would control your player for a step or two, which was annoying as all heck playing DL. I am not a very good gamer (and only play offline) - I want to be able to successfully rush the passer if I am using an elite DE (which I could not do in M25). Any thoughts on the 360 version?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Too bad there's no demo. So much sounds promising, but videos make it seem like many of the legacy issues are still there. It's going to be tough to commit to buying this game because of it. I just worry that your first week or two with the game is getting used to some of these new features causing you to overlook other aspects. Once that newness wears off, legacy issues will make the game boring and fustrating rather quickly like in the past.
That's possible. I do think this year's game MAY be worth many's time...but don't let me or anything else make you think it's NOT Madden. It is, just a more refined/realistic/better version of the same thing we've had -- which is what should be expected from year to year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
My question is whether playing defense is fun in the 360 version. I hated defense in M25, since the game would control your player for a step or two, which was annoying as all heck playing DL. I am not a very good gamer (and only play offline) - I want to be able to successfully rush the passer if I am using an elite DE (which I could not do in M25). Any thoughts on the 360 version?
I don't have it
Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 15: Playing Defense Isn't Utterly Boring Anymore

Hey Chris,

What did you mean by this part?

Quote:
Playing as a LB or DB is more fun, not all the way where it should be. If you prefer to play as a LB or DB, it's certainly more fun than it has been to play in Madden, especially with the new over the shoulder camera angle. Shedding blocks makes playing as a LB'er much more of a timing based thing, almost like a mini-game in and of itself, but you'll feel weird in pass coverage almost guaranteed. The controls certainly work, although you do get the feeling there is another layer you aren't getting to fully explore at this level. Compared to last year, we've definitely taken a noticeable step forward though.
Are you referring to the camera angle making you feel disjointed (i.e. like you can't see what's going on behind you) or are you referring to the controls, etc.? Just wondering if you could expound a bit?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15: Playing Defense Isn't Utterly Boring Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Check with JP he has the 360 version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »