Home

EA Sports UFC Patch 1.03 Available Now, Details Included

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC Patch 1.03 Available Now, Details Included within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: New Patch is Live

Wow! Thats all I can say. I played 4 fights this morning against the CPU and when it comes to aggression this is a different game. The first two fights I had were against Machida and Maia. Now going off of the aggression ratings we did, Maia and Machida are ranked the lowest in their division and it showed.

Lots of backwards and side movement from both of them. Machida used a ton of kicks to keep distance. Maia threw very few combos and was limited to leg kicks and 1-2s. Maia shot a couple of times and tried to get it to the ground once he realized the striking wasnt there.

For me this is the perfect balance for low aggression fighters. Is it 100% realistic? No. For example, Machida did not counter enough compared to his real life self and his strike total was still a little high. With that said, I actually prefer what they did. The point of these games should be to mix simulation and fun (sim should be a higher percentage though). I dont think the game would be much fun with Machida throwing 20 strikes a round. The game as it is has him perfect.

So I decided to try someone who was listed as low aggression and I went against Rory Mcdonald. What I was afraid of was that guys with low aggression would be the only ones who would appear different and there would not be a difference between high and med aggression. I pleased to say there is a difference. There was a clear difference in activity between Rory and Maia and between Rory and Wanderlei.

Rory is active but not over aggressive. He takes breaks between strikes even if he isnt out of stamina. Stuff like that really shows the fight pacing tweaks that EA listed in the patch notes. Pre-patch, the only time the AI would rest is if they were out of gas. Post patch, there will be times when the AI will pause and its completely unrelated to stamina.

I love it the tweaks they made.

More notes:

- Love the new animations. Single legs from standup now go into half guard which is infinitely more realistic. You can still go single to side control from the clinch.

- Dont know if this was in the game before but you can switch stances using the directional buttons.

- AI note: Reduce the AI's tendencies to go for sweeps from the bottom. I was facing Pat Barry and every time I took him down and was in full guard he attempted to sweep me. Now that there are multiple ways to stand up from submissive full guard, you should remove the sweeps from non-grapplers like Barry. I cant imagine a time where Barry would full guard sweep into full mount someone like Cain.

- AI/Gameplay Note: Dont know if this is even possible this year but adding faints would add alot to the striking. Just another level of strategy.

- Bug: There appears to be a split decision bug with Miocic. When I won by SD, Buffer didnt announce the score totals. Just that I won by split decision.

GameplayDev and Robots, I know the following changes arent you area but can you pass these suggestions along:

- Art: Can we do something about the black walk out T-shirts. Rousey is a UFC sponsored fighter who walks out in a UFC sponsored shirt in real life. In the game she wears a plain black T-shirt. There is no reason I can think of that she doesnt wear UFC gear to the cage.

The same goes for guys like Jones and Silva. I understand that Nike isnt allowed in the octagon but I dont know why you cant replace those with a UFC brand shirt.

- Openweight - I tweeted Jazz about this a few days ago. I dont understand why online you can fight fighters in other divisions but offline you cant. I'm not talking about having Cain fight Faber but giving us the ability to fight one class up or down. I would love to be able to have fights like GSP v. Silva or not having to wait on the dev team to move Mousasi to MW.

Thanks guys.

Finally, I'm happy with the DLC choices this month. Wish Rumble was one of them but I have a feeling the delay with Rumble is based on him joining the UFC again in April and they maybe didnt get a chance to scan him. Hopefully he's part of the next batch.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Wow! Thats all I can say. I played 4 fights this morning against the CPU and when it comes to aggression this is a different game. The first two fights I had were against Machida and Maia. Now going off of the aggression ratings we did, Maia and Machida are ranked the lowest in their division and it showed.

Lots of backwards and side movement from both of them. Machida used a ton of kicks to keep distance. Maia threw very few combos and was limited to leg kicks and 1-2s. Maia shot a couple of times and tried to get it to the ground once he realized the striking wasnt there.

For me this is the perfect balance for low aggression fighters. Is it 100% realistic? No. For example, Machida did not counter enough compared to his real life self and his strike total was still a little high. With that said, I actually prefer what they did. The point of these games should be to mix simulation and fun (sim should be a higher percentage though). I dont think the game would be much fun with Machida throwing 20 strikes a round. The game as it is has him perfect.

So I decided to try someone who was listed as low aggression and I went against Rory Mcdonald. What I was afraid of was that guys with low aggression would be the only ones who would appear different and there would not be a difference between high and med aggression. I pleased to say there is a difference. There was a clear difference in activity between Rory and Maia and between Rory and Wanderlei.

Rory is active but not over aggressive. He takes breaks between strikes even if he isnt out of stamina. Stuff like that really shows the fight pacing tweaks that EA listed in the patch notes. Pre-patch, the only time the AI would rest is if they were out of gas. Post patch, there will be times when the AI will pause and its completely unrelated to stamina.

I love it the tweaks they made.

More notes:

- Love the new animations. Single legs from standup now go into half guard which is infinitely more realistic. You can still go single to side control from the clinch.

- Dont know if this was in the game before but you can switch stances using the directional buttons.

- AI note: Reduce the AI's tendencies to go for sweeps from the bottom. I was facing Pat Barry and every time I took him down and was in full guard he attempted to sweep me. Now that there are multiple ways to stand up from submissive full guard, you should remove the sweeps from non-grapplers like Barry. I cant imagine a time where Barry would full guard sweep into full mount someone like Cain.

- AI/Gameplay Note: Dont know if this is even possible this year but adding faints would add alot to the striking. Just another level of strategy.

- Bug: There appears to be a split decision bug with Miocic. When I won by SD, Buffer didnt announce the score totals. Just that I won by split decision.

GameplayDev and Robots, I know the following changes arent you area but can you pass these suggestions along:

- Art: Can we do something about the black walk out T-shirts. Rousey is a UFC sponsored fighter who walks out in a UFC sponsored shirt in real life. In the game she wears a plain black T-shirt. There is no reason I can think of that she doesnt wear UFC gear to the cage.

The same goes for guys like Jones and Silva. I understand that Nike isnt allowed in the octagon but I dont know why you cant replace those with a UFC brand shirt.

- Openweight - I tweeted Jazz about this a few days ago. I dont understand why online you can fight fighters in other divisions but offline you cant. I'm not talking about having Cain fight Faber but giving us the ability to fight one class up or down. I would love to be able to have fights like GSP v. Silva or not having to wait on the dev team to move Mousasi to MW.

Thanks guys.

Finally, I'm happy with the DLC choices this month. Wish Rumble was one of them but I have a feeling the delay with Rumble is based on him joining the UFC again in April and they maybe didnt get a chance to scan him. Hopefully he's part of the next batch.
I'm really glad you're happy with the changes.

And thanks for all the feedback you gave!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

This is like a completely different game than the one I played a week ago! Very well done with the patches!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Little Big Puig

elTodd's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: EA Sports UFC Patch 1.03 Available Now, Details Included

I only did one fight before I had to head to work, but I truly felt like I was playing a completely different game. Very, very impressed so far.

This team has pushed the boundaries on what I thought could/would be implemented in a patch on consoles. They should be commended for listening to the fans and noticeably improving the gameplay based on the feedback. It's stuff like this that will keep this game in my rotation for some time.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Pro

Panicshade's Arena

OVR: 9
I passed on getting this game at launch because I wasn't satisfied with the demo. It seems like the last 2 patches (1.02 and 1.03 now) have addressed a lot of the issues I had. I still have one question...does the ref still stand there and do nothing during the match itself and not just during a cutscene?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Rookie

unBEARable's Arena

AI less aggressive eh... Bones just threw 91 punches in the first round, acc clock. Obviously need more fights etc. but not the best of starts.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by unBEARable
AI less aggressive eh... Bones just threw 91 punches in the first round, acc clock. Obviously need more fights etc. but not the best of starts.
Jones has a higher aggression rating than most and throws more strikes than most LHWs in real life. So he should throw a ton of strikes.

Also your movement plays into the amount of strikes they throw. If you move forward constantly or dont use defensive movement, the AI will throw alot of strikes if the fighter has high aggression.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Rookie

jaredsmith83's Arena

Gotta be happy with how they are handling their tuning and patches. Seems like the dev's are DEFINITELY paying attention to their crowd. I know it's going to be impossible to find that happy medium between people who watch a lot of MMA and want a realistic experience and people who are gamers or casual fans who want the fun slugfests, but man, this game keeps getting better. Definitely a great building block for future versions. Great job, EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »