Home

NHL 15 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Review (360/PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 15 Review (360/PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jromano99
I’ve been a fan of the series since NHL11.I believe this is the best (primarily as a result of all the “tweets” from editions up until now)The current “tweets” have just added to the game.1) The new commenter’s, Doc and Eddie, provide a fresh sound to the game.I’ve been playing with the commenter’s turned off for the past two editions.They even add some history to the game, i.e. “Duncan Keith and Ryan Miller played together in college.2) The crazy puck bouncing is gone, adding more realism to the game play.3) The slot area is more accessible passing.4) Running into the goalie now causes a penalty and at time may result in a roughing penalty against each team. Penalties now seem more frequent. 5) Board play seems more involved and detailed.6) Goalies have new animations and the pads have been upgraded (at least to last year’s) 7) you can now collide with a player on your own team.While the layout and menu are still the same as last year the over all game has a much better feel to it.Worth the purchase !!!

I agree. I own both versions of the game. I bought PS4 first, with hopes, like everyone else, that we would see a true next gen version. While we did see a next gen version, it was primarily in graphics and presentation. Gameplay was enhanced, but I don't see much difference between the gameplay on PS4 and PS3. There are more player collisions on PS4, but after awhile, it starts to look "pee-wee-ish" with guys constantly falling...at least in the games I played.

I played PS4 and realized how much the little things meant so much. The crowd in PS4 feels like they don't know what is going on during the game. There is no chanting...I hear no "drums" or clapping or much of anything really. That really takes away from the atmosphere of the game.

Playing the PS3 version, those missing sounds in PS4 really make a difference. The ability to see the action tracker is nice, too. Some claim that the PS3 is a faster game play. I think it is on default settings, but you can adjust that.

Is this a copy and paste of NHL 14? Sure is, with a few extra tweaks that should have been in 14....and they even copied over the glitches such as how you have to set the period length before every game. Even though you set it in the settings. This bug, as little as it is, and the lack of features in PS4, makes you wonder what EA really did this past year in development. Maybe they spent all the money they made off of us on NHL 14 to have office parties, and forgot about NHL 15 until the last minute.

NHL 15 for PS3 is, like everyone says, NHL 14.5. It's good, but there was so much more EA should have done. WWE 2k15 was delayed until November 18th because 2k wanted to make sure everything was where it should be with the game. EA should have followed this philosophy. I don't think there is one person here who would have had a problem waiting an extra month for this game on PS3 or PS4, if EA took that extra time to fix what was and still is wrong.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
Rookie

kornsined's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
I agree. I own both versions of the game. I bought PS4 first, with hopes, like everyone else, that we would see a true next gen version. While we did see a next gen version, it was primarily in graphics and presentation. Gameplay was enhanced, but I don't see much difference between the gameplay on PS4 and PS3. There are more player collisions on PS4, but after awhile, it starts to look "pee-wee-ish" with guys constantly falling...at least in the games I played.

I played PS4 and realized how much the little things meant so much. The crowd in PS4 feels like they don't know what is going on during the game. There is no chanting...I hear no "drums" or clapping or much of anything really. That really takes away from the atmosphere of the game.

Playing the PS3 version, those missing sounds in PS4 really make a difference. The ability to see the action tracker is nice, too. Some claim that the PS3 is a faster game play. I think it is on default settings, but you can adjust that.

Is this a copy and paste of NHL 14? Sure is, with a few extra tweaks that should have been in 14....and they even copied over the glitches such as how you have to set the period length before every game. Even though you set it in the settings. This bug, as little as it is, and the lack of features in PS4, makes you wonder what EA really did this past year in development. Maybe they spent all the money they made off of us on NHL 14 to have office parties, and forgot about NHL 15 until the last minute.

NHL 15 for PS3 is, like everyone says, NHL 14.5. It's good, but there was so much more EA should have done. WWE 2k15 was delayed until November 18th because 2k wanted to make sure everything was where it should be with the game. EA should have followed this philosophy. I don't think there is one person here who would have had a problem waiting an extra month for this game on PS3 or PS4, if EA took that extra time to fix what was and still is wrong.
In regards to gameplay, which do you prefer, PS3 or PS4?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornsined
In regards to gameplay, which do you prefer, PS3 or PS4?
PS3. It has the "complete" atmosphere and to me, i dont see too much difference in gameplay between the two.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

This is by far the best NHL game the series has to offer. Is it basically NHL '14 with some minor changes? Yes. But those minor changes add up to make a much more realistic and enjoyable game.

One of my biggest gripes with '14 was how ridiculous the hitting was... Players were getting crushed all over the place. Thankfully, they've toned it down a bit for '15 and also made the collisions look a lot more smooth and realistic as well.

The only negative thing that sticks out to me is the commentary. Ray Ferraro is awesome and sounds exactly like he does on TV, but Doc and Eddie are painful to listen to at times. I'll probably have to mute them at some point.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

i have to say im glad i did buy this game..its better then 14 with the physique and u can edit just like 14 with nhl view im gonna do every player with moose and panther faces and hopefully i will do revamped atributions..alltough i have to agree that the commentary isnt working for me..70euros for gaming at one year..cheap i would say..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #22
Just started!

This game is GARBAGE.... why do EA sports bother creating goalies when they are useless?? computer scores on every shot goes right through the goalie and players (cant block any of the computer shots even with sliders all the way up), computer gets every stupid bounce.... meanwhile 9 outta 10 shots u take are blocked from your own guy. every game on gm i outshoot them about 25-4 and win every game 4-3... garbage. doesnt matter if youre goalie is a 99 rating or a 50, they all suck. every big hit i do the computer still manages to grab the puck and score, every time you tip it off their stick or anything, it just goes to their next player! i have yet to see a nice computer goal, meanwhile every goal i score are great puck moving passing plays...computer goals are cheese *** fluttering blue line shots that just goes in everytime anyways.....atleast in nhl 14 you could block shots, thats why i always used big d in that game... this game makes me angry but at the same time i find it a challenge
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #23
Just started!

I have been playing this game since around the time it 1st came out. After all these years I am utterly astonished that they cannot get the game to truly play like a real NHL game. The a.i defense is horrible. I have tried every slider setting in the world and the a.i never closes me off along the boards and forces me to dump and chase. A.I gets like 20 seconds of offensive zone time too my 360,000 light years of t.o.p. A.I never cycles. On both sides if a player goes to retrieve the puck along the boards behind the net, etc he just swoops in, grabs the puck and off he goes. They could make the overall checking in this game much tighter if they simply made players with the puck skate even a little bit slower than players without the puck. That way you could actually rub players out along the boards. Frustrating plain and simple. No matter where I put any of the settings, honestly I never lose. But hey, you can see I guy in the stands picking his nose. Stop worrying so much about the graphics and fix the damn gameplay. I don't do that much gaming but was going to buy a new platform just for the new generation of this game. Thought for once they may actually watch a few NHL games and try to fix some things. From what I have read about the PS4 and XBox 1 release, glad I didn't bother.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #24
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I am perplexed by the pricing of the outdated NHL games. '14 is still $45 on Amazon for the 360. '13 is still $30. Just kind of curious since Madden '15 is down to $39.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »