Home

Despite Its Initial Blemishes, NBA 2K15 Held in High Regard

This is a discussion on Despite Its Initial Blemishes, NBA 2K15 Held in High Regard within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Despite Its Initial Blemishes, NBA 2K15 Held in High Regard

The launch of NBA 2K15 is one of the low-points of the 2014 sports gaming season.

There was so much excitement surrounding the launch, and so much rage when huge chunks of the game failed to work properly thanks to shoddy design decisions to link the game with 2K's unreliable servers. When the launch day rush hit the servers, they melted down quicker than Scott Brook's decision making at key points in the playoffs.

But now?

Now it seems like gamers have begun to really warm up to the game, which is tending to work more often than it isn't. It doesn't hurt that the gameplay and presentation are at or near top-of-class level for sports games of course. Check out the latest poll results from our polling done yesterday:

All in all, most OS'ers agree (in fact a great majority), that NBA 2K15 is either good or great. The results of this poll are actually somewhat impressive given the early reactions towards the game and how people initially felt.

Some guys even smashed their copies of NBA 2K15 in disgust -- I'd hate to be that guy right now for the record.

All in all, the general feeling towards NBA 2K15 seems to be growing more positive as we head into the New Year, something which seemed impossible after the disastrous start for the game. In general, we hope the same mistakes aren't repeated next year, and that the launch period of NBA 2K16 is more of a high mark on the sports gaming calendar.

Are you surprised by how positive the reaction and feelings towards NBA 2K15 are now?
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Despite Its Initial Blemishes, NBA 2K15 Held in High Regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Some guys even smashed their copies of NBA 2K15 in disgust
Yeah, because that'll teach 'em...

I voted "Great". Sure it took time to iron things out, but I guess that's the day and age we live in. It's not so much how gimped things are upon release, but how the devs react and respond to the situation. In this case, 2K redeemed themselves nicely.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Yeah, because that'll teach 'em...

In this case, 2K redeemed themselves nicely.
I find it hard to believe that doing, what they were paid to do, and to do it poorly, is "redeeming themselves nicely".

By keeping their customers in the dark on issues and failing to major reported issues in My League while putting out VC grabs is not good business. All it had to take was a simple notice that was like this:

"Hi guys!

We have problems X,Y,Z.

We are addressing problems X and Y like so.

We will address the problems through a patch.

Uh oh. The patch messed up because P, we need more time, sorry.

Sorry for the wait, here's your patch.

For the next patch we are planning on fixing Z. "
Old 12-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Banned

FrequentFlyer15's Arena

I bought game on release day and it's 7/10 in my eyes, good game but nothing spectacular

PRO's
* graphics
* gameplay modes
* frequent roster updates
* attention to details

CON's
* ridiculous hardware requirements (PES 2015 holds recommended requirements same as 2k15 for minimal, although both games are next-gen)
* player looks update is good idea but poorly implemented through patch where approx. 40 % of league need new faces, hairstyles, beards and yet they update 6-7 players
* shoes are weak, one of the areas where live beats 2k by miles, no PE shoes, no custom shoes like bred jordans or doernbechers
* some headscratching decisions like no headbands option, shoes being added for just one player (kyrie dream), no halftime show, rookies being scanned but without tattoos, undrafted and d-league players when being added to the game look totally generic (t.black, eric moreland etc..), christmas jerseys being added but not authentic
* retro teams are just copy/pasted from last gen which looks unfinished and dull plus euroleague with outdated rosters feels like a half finished product

it's a good game but nothing jaw droping here, good basketball simulation at it's best meanwhile live 15 is mediocre with lots of great shoes i'll give 2k15 7/10 and live 15 4.5/10
Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

It is a very good game. It's just some things like online connectivity /lag I expected better results
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

I think a majority of the average/bad votes are most likely from the people that are still having server problems and the hardcore MyLeague guys that are annoyed by the regression issue.

Those are really the only two major themes I've been seeing lately that doesn't involve accessories. But let's be honest, those guys won't ever be satisfied with the accessories.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Banned

FrequentFlyer15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Those are really the only two major themes I've been seeing lately that doesn't involve accessories. But let's be honest, those guys won't ever be satisfied with the accessories.
i'm not accessory guy but this years accessories are IMO good but why the heck we need to wait like 20 years to have unique shoes for every player, is that hard to add different and custom shoes, i hate seeing one team (for example 76ers) where 3 different players wear Hyperdunk 2014 with same colorway..this isn't soccer or tennis this is basketball where part of the game is sneaker culture
Old 12-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11
Sounds bad, but the majority of the people that respond to this/these type of threads are usually the disgruntled. And Yes, they have a right to voice their concerns ☺

Last edited by WaddupCouzin; 12-30-2014 at 03:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »