Home

The OS Year-End Awards: Sports Game of the Year

This is a discussion on The OS Year-End Awards: Sports Game of the Year within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The OS Year-End Awards: Sports Game of the Year

The Sports Game of the Year is the biggest award we give out at Operation Sports, be it the readers or the staff, and the winners of this award are the best of the best each and every year. This year, we actually saw a pretty strong consensus for our Sports Game of the Year — so without further adieu, here are this year’s winners at the podium:

Gold - NBA 2K15

The staff was pretty solid on the pick for NBA 2K15, with it having a pretty comfortable margin over the rest of the field. Back at launch, you would have sworn this wasn’t possible, but after a rocky start came a period where the game worked and worked well. From MyLeague, to the improved MyGM, to the improved MyPlayer, to the incredible on-court gameplay and presentation — NBA 2K15 had something for most fans. On top of that, features such as freelance offense, 2KTV, and the improved Park have made 2K15 a favorite amongst OS’ers.

Silver - MLB 14 The Show

MLB 14 The Show this year featured several key improvements on its first year as a next-gen title. The first was the introduction of Quick Counts, which sped the game up for people who were on a time crunch. Another great new addition was the dynamic difficulty, which guaranteed gamers would always face a challenge when playing the game. The gameplay itself saw refinements — with the game’s biggest weak spot being the presentation, which likely held it back in the voting. Regardless, MLB 14 The Show is a great game and well deserving of a spot on the podium.

Bronze - Madden NFL 15

The biggest surprise at the podium this year for Sports Game of the Year is Madden NFL 15. This year’s Madden introduced new defensive controls and camera angles, which led to the game having a fresh feel to it. The cloud based playcalling was also a new and interesting concept, with the new playcalling menus as a whole being a fresh point with this year’s game. While the commentary was weak, the rest of the presentation package is actually quite good and now the gameplay is on a level that’s really above and beyond where football gaming has ever been. With a few key areas of improvement, it wouldn’t be shocking to see Madden challenge for the Gold next year.

What do you think? What game was your Sports Game of the Year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
This is the first Madden football, probably since the PS2 days, thats held my interest for more than a couple of hours, I've logged probably 80+ hours of gameplay. It was my pick by far. The Show regressed with online playability and although its a solid game it really didn't do anything to push the envelope and in general is starting to feel stale. I've given up NBA 2k and what ever gaming cycles I have left go to FIFA 15. Which surprised me that it wasn't at the top of the list. It's probably the best all around sports game available.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19
Given the choices... NBA 2K15 clearly shines above the rest! The fluid gameplay, stunning visuals, dynamic presentation.. the game of basketball comes to life. There are still many nagging issues mainly dealing with servers... still this is the BEST sports game by leaps & bounds. Imagine how good NBA 2K would be with some REAL (basketball) competition nipping at their heels; it would drive them to be TRULY great!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
If I'm a developer, this means if I put of a broken pile of garbage at launch and fix it over the next three months I can still win Sports Game of the Year!! We as a community shouldn't praise this kind of game development. It hurts gamers by lowering acceptable standards. I understand the difficulties inherent to a yearly development cycle, but the initial game quality was (or at least should have been) unacceptable.

Don't complain when we get another broken pile of garbage next October...
Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Just started!

2k best sports game, BARELY!!!!!! This game is bad on so many levels. The animations are so overpowering it's ridiculous. Ball handling attribute means nothing, unless it's bad, physics don't exist, 7'1 320 lb centers can't score on a 5'9 160 lb pg, it's laughable. This game rewards bad basketball, you can "left, right, cheese" and score, but if you actually cross your man then you get this stupid hesitation animation after your in the clear, which makes you shoot a jumper when you were driving the lane, or help the defender recover lol. If you box out on rebounds, you get ran over. Then while your on the ground u either get called for the foul, or get penalized for allowing an offensive rebound, and or allowing your man to score. Oh and how about the guys who jump for a rebound before it even touches the rim and get it every time, fyi touching the net while the ball is in the cylinder is goaltending. I'm talking about the Rec by the way, which I'm pretty sure everyone plays. How about bad block attempt, then good shot defense lol, or get fouled and get, loose ball then draw foul lol. Please explain how you can block someone's shot, then when tthey recover it, you get allow offensive rebound. Which takes more grade then you get for the block lol. I'm also so tires of the animation when you poke the ball loose and it goes straight out of bounds no matter where it occurs, and I'm tired of passes going through my body, I must have Casper the Ghost gold. The process of waiting for games is horrible, game play laggy and unrealistic at times, lack of physics and not being able to make layups all attribute to this being the WORST 2k I've ever played, people who say this is the best have no baseball knowledge. OS Sports yall lost hella points in my book for this. Let's not forget we couldn't play this trash for a month and a half when it came out. While yall was tryna get retweet for finally getting your face scan to work, I was tryna play an actual game lol. It does have its good points though and is obviously better then Live, I'd give it a 7 outta 10, let's make that a 6 for this GARBAGE a** soundtrack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubmarciano
2k best sports game, BARELY!!!!!! This game is bad on so many levels. The animations are so overpowering it's ridiculous. Ball handling attribute means nothing, unless it's bad, physics don't exist, 7'1 320 lb centers can't score on a 5'9 160 lb pg, it's laughable. This game rewards bad basketball, you can "left, right, cheese" and score, but if you actually cross your man then you get this stupid hesitation animation after your in the clear, which makes you shoot a jumper when you were driving the lane, or help the defender recover lol. If you box out on rebounds, you get ran over. Then while your on the ground u either get called for the foul, or get penalized for allowing an offensive rebound, and or allowing your man to score. Oh and how about the guys who jump for a rebound before it even touches the rim and get it every time, fyi touching the net while the ball is in the cylinder is goaltending. I'm talking about the Rec by the way, which I'm pretty sure everyone plays. How about bad block attempt, then good shot defense lol, or get fouled and get, loose ball then draw foul lol. Please explain how you can block someone's shot, then when tthey recover it, you get allow offensive rebound. Which takes more grade then you get for the block lol. I'm also so tires of the animation when you poke the ball loose and it goes straight out of bounds no matter where it occurs, and I'm tired of passes going through my body, I must have Casper the Ghost gold. The process of waiting for games is horrible, game play laggy and unrealistic at times, lack of physics and not being able to make layups all attribute to this being the WORST 2k I've ever played, people who say this is the best have no baseball knowledge. OS Sports yall lost hella points in my book for this. Let's not forget we couldn't play this trash for a month and a half when it came out. While yall was tryna get retweet for finally getting your face scan to work, I was tryna play an actual game lol. It does have its good points though and is obviously better then Live, I'd give it a 7 outta 10, let's make that a 6 for this GARBAGE a** soundtrack.
Excuse the typos, this damn Galaxy has a mind of it's own.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubmarciano
Excuse the typos, this damn Galaxy has a mind of it's own.
But no return key...?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukin4
But no return key...?
Hell naw lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »