Home

The OS Year-End Awards: Best Indie/Arcade Game of 2014

This is a discussion on The OS Year-End Awards: Best Indie/Arcade Game of 2014 within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The OS Year-End Awards: Best Indie/Arcade Game of 2014

Yesterday, we revealed that you, the readers, chose The Golf Club as their winner for the best indie/arcade game of 2014. With such a strong lineup of games from non-major developers, this field was extremely competitive this year. The staff voting was incredibly close, with vote counts being very narrow for first to third.

This year, each staff writer gave their full list of top sports games, from first to third and then we assigned points to each vote (three for a first place, one for a third place), to come up with the winner. Here are the best indie/arcade sports games of 2014:

Gold - The Golf Club

The Golf Club achieves the feat of sweeping this category with a unanimous first place choice between our staff and our readers. Be it the social aspects of the game, which our community absolutely adores, or the course creation aspects which many others heavily enjoy, The Golf Club delivered an authentic and fun golfing experience. With more improvements on the way into next year, there is no better time to jump in with The Golf Club and enjoy all that it has to offer.

Silver - Out of the Park Baseball 15

The baseball management simulation has always been a staff favorite around OS, and has been a perennial winner of this category. It is actually somewhat big news that it was able to be unseated atop the list, but rest assured this year's game is just as deep and addicting as any other. Thanks to a bit of a rocky launch period (the theme of 2014 it seemed), Out of the Park wasn't as universally loved as-is typical. However once the kinks were worked out, OOTP 15 was an incredible game with everything you could imagine.

Bronze - OlliOlli

OlliOlli is a side-scrolling skateboarding game which features some awesome courses to move through. In our review, we praised the game's variety and its ability to keep you engaged through a huge library of courses. The controls were the game's weak point, but the overall effort and stylish fun offered by OlliOlli was enough to earn it a place at the podium with a bronze medal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
No Super Mega Baseball? Hmmm...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
So, I've been wanting to try the Golf Club, but I watched a youtube video of the gameplay the other day, and there were barnyard animals on the greens. Someone please tell me this can be turned off, or that it was just a created course thing.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: The OS Year-End Awards: Best Indie/Arcade Game of 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
So, I've been wanting to try the Golf Club, but I watched a youtube video of the gameplay the other day, and there were barnyard animals on the greens. Someone please tell me this can be turned off, or that it was just a created course thing.
You can place animals wherever you want when you make a custom course.

If they bother you, you can just play "official" courses. Most of them are animal free.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: The OS Year-End Awards: Best Indie/Arcade Game of 2014

I can't disagree with these. I have all 3 and they are all worthy medalists.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »