Home

The Golf Club Looking to Add Retainer Walls to Courses, Changes to Handicap System

This is a discussion on The Golf Club Looking to Add Retainer Walls to Courses, Changes to Handicap System within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Golf Club Looking to Add Retainer Walls to Courses, Changes to Handicap System

The Golf Club may be looking into adding retaining walls to its golf course creator suite, amongst other new additions in the works for the game. Two potential huge new features, out of bounds and dropped balls are being investigated as well alongside development on the new Season Mode which we already knew about.

Quote:
"We play a lot of the community created courses and are always amazed at the imagination shown by designers when it comes to creating the desired look for your courses. Benches for steps, bridges for retaining walls, tree stumps for walls, etc. This week, Jim has taken a quick look at creating some of these things for you. They’re looking really good, so I’m very excited to see your creations with these new objects. And a quick reminder that not everyone on the team codes, thus, when you see something like rain being investigated it doesn’t mean time is being taken away from some other ‘essential’ addition or ‘must fix’ area of the game."

Also on the docket are possible changes to the Handicap system in the game:

Quote:
"With the Handicap system in place we have found that some of tournaments on the easier courses skew a little in favour of the weaker players. We’re reviewing all the data regularly and as much as we want to stay true to the real life system we do understand that video game golf is a little different to real life golf. We are going to investigate a little and see what tweaks we can make to the base formulas to even the playing field a little more."
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
This game keeps getting better and better. HB Studios, you guys have been doing an amazing job! Keep it up!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: The Golf Club Looking to Add Retainer Walls to Courses, Changes to Handicap Syste

Some of these "Developers" that are putting out these "Half-Baked" games should be ashamed of themselves. Charging $60 for there games and a company like HB studios puts out a $34.99 game that is turning out to be a "Gem" and it's only because they CARE about QUALITY and not so much as GETTING OVER on consumers. Kudos to HB

Last edited by Flightwhite24; 01-22-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
Pro

rolltide1017's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Golf Club Looking to Add Retainer Walls to Courses, Changes to Handicap Syste

Not sure I'm a fan of out of bounds, I like being able to slice into the adjacent fairway without penalty. Guess it is just another option for course designers. Love these updates though, this game is worth a whole lot more then what they are charging. It's a steal at $35.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
Not sure I'm a fan of out of bounds, I like being able to slice into the adjacent fairway without penalty. Guess it is just another option for course designers. Love these updates though, this game is worth a whole lot more then what they are charging. It's a steal at $35.
Out of bounds wouldn't mean that you couldn't hit the ball into an adjacent fairway, it would just mean there would be creator definable areas on and mostly 'around' the course that would be out of bounds, just like a real course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Pro

rolltide1017's Arena

OVR: 7

Well, my fear is that some designers, like the ones who place every pin on a severe slope, would use OB to artificially increase the difficulty of their courses. Like having narrow fairways with even narrower rough areas before hitting OB, basically using it in unrealistic ways. We all know this will happen, probably by some of the so called "great" designers because some of them are some of the worst offenders of the severe slope pin placements (which I find really odd how accepted this practice has become in TGC when we use to rip TW apart for the same thing).
Old 01-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Rookie

8iron's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Well, my fear is that some designers, like the ones who place every pin on a severe slope, would use OB to artificially increase the difficulty of their courses. Like having narrow fairways with even narrower rough areas before hitting OB, basically using it in unrealistic ways. We all know this will happen, probably by some of the so called "great" designers because some of them are some of the worst offenders of the severe slope pin placements (which I find really odd how accepted this practice has become in TGC when we use to rip TW apart for the same thing).
I just rate those kinds of courses a 1 and don't play them again.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Oh yeah. I never play those courses again once I find them. I use slopes on my greens but it is for players to play away from the pin to use the slope to get a good shot. The pin is never on the side of a cliff as so many of these courses are.. And I can definitely see OB being used to artificially create perceived difficulty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »