Home

EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June?

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsprince
I was told by an EA Sports rep via email (Not mentioning names) not to believe the placeholder dates.

At this point however, there's no doubt it'll probably be a June release.

I tried contacting this EA rep again for more questions and there was no response.

So, I guess we'll see.

I too am happy with TGC but I really like the "Golf Without Limits" style that EA is shooting for.

Makes things more fun for the casual golf gamer plus I'm really curious to see the courses.

They're going back to their roots that made the game popular in the first place. The crazy, wacky golf game that we knew from the past.

But since it was the only golf game on the market, the traditionalists had no simulation type games so EA decided to go with the more calm, boring style which unfortunately wrecked the game not to mention the bugs from TW14.

But now, since TGC is out and Perfect Golf is out in Early Access, EA doesn't have to do the simulation thing anymore. I think they were meant to do the arcade style because when they tried to please fans by trying to go simulation style, the game just became flat out brutal although I still played them but I'm talking about to the masses.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Only reason why they changed things up is because it was the only real golf game on the market.

Now we have 2 great simulation golf games that came out so EA can freely go back to their signature arcade style that made the game fun and I think it's great.
This is exactly what I hope they don't do - as the name implies, it's the official game of the PGA Tour, and should be as close to actual golf as they can make it. They wouldn't put arcade tricks or fantasy fields in Madden or FIFA, would they?

The fact that there are two other sim games available shouldn't mean there isn't room for another - I have no interest in Fantasy courses or wacky characters or trick shots - that's why there's a market for Hot Shots Golf, etc.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Pro

cherman24's Arena

OVR: 4

Should they call it pga blitz or pga jam?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamc
This is exactly what I hope they don't do - as the name implies, it's the official game of the PGA Tour, and should be as close to actual golf as they can make it. They wouldn't put arcade tricks or fantasy fields in Madden or FIFA, would they?

The fact that there are two other sim games available shouldn't mean there isn't room for another - I have no interest in Fantasy courses or wacky characters or trick shots - that's why there's a market for Hot Shots Golf, etc.

Same here for me as well, I want a golf game that replicates real life golf, and has a career mode, along with the real golfers in the game. Not some made up BS names, and arcade like courses.

When I bought my PS4 3 days ago, I seen the PGA tour was a June release, and I ask the guy at Gamestop if it was liscensed and had the real golfers in it and he said yeah, so I wouldn't think being a PGA trademark with Real Golfers that it would be arcade like with a bunch of fake and ignorant courses in it.

Personally I really enjoyed the last 2 golf games that EA made on the PS3, and had a lot of fun in my career mode. Im not a online gamer that plays others in those Country club things they had, I just stay strickly to my career mode.

I really hope EA is making a simulation golf game, cause I really want to get it, plus my wife is looking forward to playing it too. If it weren't for preordering MLBTS15 and buying NBA2k15 along with the PS4 Sunday we would have preordered the Golf game, cause were looking forward to spending time with each other playing it, that way we have some so called quality time she says together,lol, cause I spend a lot of time in my franchise modes with MLBTS,NBA2k, and when Madden is good there franchise mode. I only play sports games and nothing else, and actually looking forward to playing this Golf game for my career and playing it with my wife, so I will be sadly disappointed if they go the young kid route and make a arcade like game, I thought that's what that hot shot golf was for, don't need another arcade like golf game, we need a true simulation.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

The only reason why I think they delayed is it it might be a sign that Augusta won't be in the game, as they released it to coincide with the masters the last few years.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsprince
They're going back to their roots that made the game popular in the first place. The crazy, wacky golf game that we knew from the past.

But since it was the only golf game on the market, the traditionalists had no simulation type games so EA decided to go with the more calm, boring style which unfortunately wrecked the game not to mention the bugs from TW14.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Only reason why they changed things up is because it was the only real golf game on the market.

Now we have 2 great simulation golf games that came out so EA can freely go back to their signature arcade style that made the game fun and I think it's great.
What the "Tiger Woods" series became was pretty far from the actual "roots" of the PGA Tour series. Back when it was a PC-game only, I actually owned several versions of the game, and they were unflinchingly sim golf games (competing with the likes of "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus Golf"). Even the PS1 versions of the game were sim golf games. It wasn't until the first "Tiger Woods" golf game came out that the series began morphing into the ridiculous NBA Jam style golf game that the series subsequently became. I mean, the low point was when "Hot Shots Golf" was actually a more realistic playing game of golf than the "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" series. If the new PGA Tour release goes back to silly-sports MTV Rock-n-jock land, I predict doom for the series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamc

Couldn't have said it better myself. When the golf game market was arguably at its peak in the mid-to-late 1990's, there was Sierra's golf game, EA's PGA Tour game, Jack Nicklaus golf, and the venerable grand-daddy of them all "Links" all on the market and doing relatively well. Not a one of them had the ability to spin the ball after-the-shot or had the worst thing ever included in a golf game - varying length putters for various length putts. I still have no idea what kind of lack of standards led to that being the Tiger Woods series for YEARS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Same here for me as well, I want a golf game that replicates real life golf, and has a career mode, along with the real golfers in the game. Not some made up BS names, and arcade like courses.
I feel like golf is the sport that can be futzed with the least and still make the most compelling video games. I mean, there's room for some arcade golf games for the casual set, but as the only licensed game of golf, for EA to do what they did to the game during the PS2-PS3 era is a total travesty IMO. As someone else mentioned, it would be like if NBA Jam were the only officially licensed basketball game on the market. Or if "Madden" were the only officially licensed - oh wait, nevermind.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 2

It would be great to hear more about this game. Hopefully, they will start sending out information soon.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
What the "Tiger Woods" series became was pretty far from the actual "roots" of the PGA Tour series. Back when it was a PC-game only, I actually owned several versions of the game, and they were unflinchingly sim golf games (competing with the likes of "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus Golf"). Even the PS1 versions of the game were sim golf games. It wasn't until the first "Tiger Woods" golf game came out that the series began morphing into the ridiculous NBA Jam style golf game that the series subsequently became. I mean, the low point was when "Hot Shots Golf" was actually a more realistic playing game of golf than the "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" series. If the new PGA Tour release goes back to silly-sports MTV Rock-n-jock land, I predict doom for the series...

Couldn't have said it better myself. When the golf game market was arguably at its peak in the mid-to-late 1990's, there was Sierra's golf game, EA's PGA Tour game, Jack Nicklaus golf, and the venerable grand-daddy of them all "Links" all on the market and doing relatively well. Not a one of them had the ability to spin the ball after-the-shot or had the worst thing ever included in a golf game - varying length putters for various length putts. I still have no idea what kind of lack of standards led to that being the Tiger Woods series for YEARS....

I feel like golf is the sport that can be futzed with the least and still make the most compelling video games. I mean, there's room for some arcade golf games for the casual set, but as the only licensed game of golf, for EA to do what they did to the game during the PS2-PS3 era is a total travesty IMO. As someone else mentioned, it would be like if NBA Jam were the only officially licensed basketball game on the market. Or if "Madden" were the only officially licensed - oh wait, nevermind.

After looking at a short preview of this golf game, I have serious worries of how realistic its going to be. After seeing some stupid Call of Duty war ship burning and crashing into the golf course gives me serious doubt this will be a realistic golf game.
If its not realistic with the PGA license and real golfers in it I hope the PGA take away the license and gives it to someone who will make a realistic golf game.
I have health issues that don't allow me to be able to get out and actually play golf IRL, so a golf video game is all I got, and I will not play some arcade BS game, of golf or any other sport for that matter.

Really thought once we got into the new consoles, with what EA had done on the old consoles that we would be in for a real treat come new consoles with golf, but just like EA does with every other sports game they screw it up majorly, and it takes years for them ever to get it back right. Just look at NBA Live how that has been a pile a crap for years, along with Madden, last yr was the 1st time in a long time I had enjoyed a Madden game, actually the last time I had enjoyed Madden was on regular Xbox/PS2 system, pretty sad for a big time company like them to screw so much up.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #16
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
After looking at a short preview of this golf game, I have serious worries of how realistic its going to be. After seeing some stupid Call of Duty war ship burning and crashing into the golf course gives me serious doubt this will be a realistic golf game.
Yeah, that looked....not promising. I think we can pretty much forget about a serious sim game at this point.

Quote:
If its not realistic with the PGA license and real golfers in it I hope the PGA take away the license and gives it to someone who will make a realistic golf game.
That will never happen. But luckily, golf is one of the few sports where an official license matters the least IMO. Don't get me wrong, the license only adds value when done right, but it's not the same as an unlicensed football or basketball game, which are pretty much DOA. Some of the all time greats like "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus" never had PGA licenses, and I never really noticed. At least there is some competition in the genre now, so there's somewhere else to get your sim golf fix. But it is disappointing that the only official PGA Tour game is looking pretty arcadey...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »