Home

Press Row Podcast - Is NBA 2K Bigger Than Madden?

This is a discussion on Press Row Podcast - Is NBA 2K Bigger Than Madden? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
I think so, personally I have never liked madden...I played joe Montana over madden,then I stopped playing football games,gave blitz,game day and couple games a shot..until nfl2k came out & was the perfect match for my hands and eyes..I played that nfl2k like religion and never even wondered if their was a game name madden....ever since the licenseing drama I stopped playing football games again....I honestly think nba2k gets more recognition than madden as a sports games and I'm glad for the Visual concepts team..its taken over as the more recognizable brand,when you walk in a GameStop you realize it:
Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

Madden is bigger because its by far the more popular sport and gets the most hype and criticized. But i believe that nba2k is a better game maybe because basketball is easier to make
Old 02-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Press Row Podcast - Is NBA 2K Bigger Than Madden?

To the lady in the podcast of course you hear Madden referenced more among NFL players then you do NBA 2K among NBA players. It's a 52 player roster compared to NBA's 12 player roster and the NFL has two more teams! Come on, that's 1664 NFL player's compared to NBA's 360 players. Of course there are going to be more players referencing Madden in that league compared to NBA players referencing NBA 2K. What a horrible argument.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkocjay
Madden is bigger because its by far the more popular sport and gets the most hype and criticized. But i believe that nba2k is a better game maybe because basketball is easier to make
If NBA was easier to make then football, EA one of the most money strapped top tier developers in the world wouldn't be failing so miserably with NBA Live for the past 5 years!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
Banned

Don't know bout you guys but I know way more people that play 2k than Madden. It seems like there's only a certain group of people that play madden while 2k is the go to game dudes compete in.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
Is NBA 2K bigger than Madden? Of course not. One look at the yearly sales charts quickly proves it.

For 2014, Madden 15 was the second-highest selling game -- only Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare outsold it. Yes, Madden outsold Destiny, Super Smash Bros., Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, and every other big-name challenger. For comparison, NBA 2K15 placed #7 on the chart -- very good, obviously, but not even close to Madden.
It's not all about sales, just like the podcast explains. Metacritic scores of the games and league popularity have to be taken into account. According to a Harris poll, 36% of Americans say NFL football is their favorite league and only 6% say the NBA is.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...14&src=desktop

By those numbers, Madden should be outselling the NBA almost 6-1, but it's not. Also, like they said, NBA 2k has a competitor in EA live and Madden has none. Madden out performs in sales because people love football. I think Madden has slipped to fourth behind FIFA, NBA2K, and The Show in actual sports game quality. It was dethroned when the ps2 became obsolete.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
To the lady in the podcast of course you hear Madden referenced more among NFL players then you do NBA 2K among NBA players. It's a 52 player roster compared to NBA's 12 player roster and the NFL has two more teams! Come on, that's 1664 NFL player's compared to NBA's 360 players. Of course there are going to be more players referencing Madden in that league compared to NBA players referencing NBA 2K. What a horrible argument.
I agree with your point, but in the nfl counting practice squad members there are 61 players per 32 teams =1952 players. Im not sure where the 12 comes from for the NBA, maybe what used to be 12 active players? Nowadays teams have 13 active and can have up to 15 on there rosters (2 inactive) = 450. Again though I do understand the point you were trying to make.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #16
Rookie

Among casual gamers,madden is still a household name,but I have realized now people first competitive game they call for when they realize a system in your living room is nba2k,they love it ,they say 2k is fire.it used to be madden..and if madden did have nlf2k to compete with they would have been in big trouble right now.!..because nfl2k made a lot of people past the die hard take notice and realize the work visual concepts has been putting in with their football game since the inception.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »