Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour to Feature Three Gameplay Styles, New Ball Physics

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour to Feature Three Gameplay Styles, New Ball Physics within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour to Feature Three Gameplay Styles, New Ball Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
Isn't this supposed to be marketing for new gameplay features? Or did I miss something?

Questionable marketing that after two years, the first article about your game is about features that have already been in many past iterations, sans the Ball Drop thing I guess.

Quote:
The new backswing meter lets you know when you’ve reached the end of your backswing, based on the shot you have set up. When you start your backswing, the meter will begin to fill. When you reach the end of your backswing, the meter will be full, and a forward swing should be initiated.
This was in TW13, just in different form. Labeled as new.

THAT'S your quibble?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #26

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
Isn't this supposed to be marketing for new gameplay features? Or did I miss something?

Questionable marketing that after two years, the first article about your game is about features that have already been in many past iterations, sans the Ball Drop thing I guess.

This was in TW13, just in different form. Labeled as new.
That's being real nitpicky to say that just because they said "The new backswing" they are doing shoddy marketing.

They simply mentioned their new backswing in a blog about their game that hasn't been out in two years. In that facet pretty much everything is going to be new compared to what it was in the last iteration.

If they came out with an extensive blog dedicated to an "all new backswing" you would have a point.

It's not like they went of their way to talk about a new backswing over and over again.

How could they word that differently anyway because the backswing clearly has some new elements to it.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #27
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

My understanding is that this is a completely new engine compared to TW, both for the courses (frostbite?) and swing/ball physics.

Properly modelling a golf swing shouldn't be that difficult in theory, so I'm holding out hope that PGA is something similar to TGC, where you can play the risk/reward game with shot shaping. Doesn't sound that difficult, but could be easily screwed up.

My major doubts lie in the ability for EA to correctly model the ball physics in relation to the environment. I admittedly haven't played any EA golf in quite some time, but this was never an area that I felt was modeled well (maybe it's gotten better in the later releases), but unless they have an approach game/short game system that accurately represents the true nature of "scoring" shots in golf (i.e. TGC's system minus the overly easy flop shot) this game won't steal time from TGC. I don't want to see people routinely holing 140 yard approach shots, or missing by feet with a poor swing.

Putting is an entirely different story altogether, and I'm 99% sure that EA's putting system will be total rubbish compared to TGC, which to be fair is a high bar to set expectation wise, being that it's the first golf game I've ever played where I actually enjoyed the challenge of putting. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised in this department.

The rest lies in the amount of courses available, and EA golf will never touch TGC in that regard based on the massive amount of absolute stellar courses designed my the community, but I would be happy with 20+ real life courses (Bethpage, Pinehurst, Marion, TPC Sawgrass, Pine Valley,Harbour Town, Whistling Straits, Oakland Hills CC, TPC Scotsdale, Spyglass, Royal Troon, St Andrews, Carnoustie, Pebble Beach, Valhalla, Torrey Pines, Muirfield, etc & Chambers Bay would be awesome); if that list isn't represented pretty well then this game will get old fairly quick in my mind. I want lots & lots of courses in the retail release, plus some good DLC. I want replayability here, and the quickest path to that lies in a great physics system and a large catalog of courses.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #28
G* H*gs G*!!

TheTruth's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
I admittedly haven't played any EA golf in quite some time...

Putting is an entirely different story altogether, and I'm 99% sure that EA's putting system will be total rubbish compared to TGC, which to be fair is a high bar to set expectation wise, being that it's the first golf game I've ever played where I actually enjoyed the challenge of putting. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised in this department.
99% sure even though you admit to not having played an EA golf game in some time? Hmm

When I first played TGC the first impression I got was the putting reminded me most of TW and I had a very easy transition since I played quite a bit of EA golf games.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
My question is, weren't these features already in past iterations? Why is this being marketed as new?
The only thing that is being marketed as new in the that whole article is the backswing meter. In the video the only new things they talk about are the hole map and the new ball physics when playing in the rough or hitting a ball in the trees. That's all they said that is new. I think they were just telling us what gameplay styles were in the game.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #30
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
99% sure even though you admit to not having played an EA golf game in some time? Hmm
Yes, TGC's putting system is just THAT good. Not that EA's can't be good, I just think they modeled putting darn near perfectly in TGC (aside from not being able to default to/easily switch to a direct overhead view to actually hit the putt).

Quote:
When I first played TGC the first impression I got was the putting reminded me most of TW and I had a very easy transition since I played quite a bit of EA golf games.
This bodes well then, perhaps PGA will pleasantly surprise me.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #31

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour to Feature Three Gameplay Styles, New Ball Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
Yes, TGC's putting system is just THAT good. Not that EA's can't be good, I just think they modeled putting darn near perfectly in TGC (aside from not being able to default to/easily switch to a direct overhead view to actually hit the putt).

This bodes well then, perhaps PGA will pleasantly surprise me.

I'm getting real tired of having to ask not to bring up the golf club in a thread about this game.

This is your last warning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Since we can't talk about TGC, then I'll add on that I hope that the putting system is similar to what TW 08 PC. You can scan the entire green, have preset putting camera angles to read the greens, and then it's all about feel (3 click feel or analog feel) to make the stroke. The other game...that is currently out right now...has the same approach but includes a marker to indicate the location and speed expectation of the putt. I would be okay if RM PGA Tour had the same as TW 08 PC without a marker.

Edit: With that said, i forgot to mention that I will be playing that "Tour" style for sure - it's exactly what I was hoping for. Good stuff, let's see how it pans out

Last edited by Matt10; 04-25-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »