Home

The Houston Astros' Hot Start Can Be Partially Attributed To MLB 15 The Show

This is a discussion on The Houston Astros' Hot Start Can Be Partially Attributed To MLB 15 The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Pro

Ripner's Arena

OVR: 0
The Houston Astros' Hot Start Can Be Partially Attributed To MLB 15 The Show

The Houston Astros are using data directly derived from MLB 15 The Show as part of their scouting reports this year -- and they say the data is quite realistic.

Quote:
"Here's what Astros Coordinator of Advance Information Tom Koch-Weser had to say per a statement provided to Bleacher Report from Sony Entertainment, "the Sony images offer realistic representations of players. We're excited to incorporate these images in our scouting reports."

Also quoted in the article is Chris Gill, who works on MLB 15 The Show and has played in the MLB:

Quote:
[/i]""Just like everything else, we try and make the game as realistic as possible," he said. "It’s a true simulation so we need to make sure the game behaves as close to real life as we can make it. We use real-life stats to determine the hitters’ strengths and weaknesses for hot and cold zones, and batters fly ball/ground ball, pull/oppo tendencies to come up with our spray charts in game."[/i]

If Houston keeps their run up through the year, don't be surprised if we hear of more teams using Sony's data in future years.
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Astros use MLB the Show to augment scouting reports

that's pretty cool. Being a GM in real life is like my dream job almost. I guess The Show is the closest I'm gonna get to it. And watching Moneyball
Old 05-01-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Re: The Houston Astros' Hot Start Can Be Partially Attributed To MLB 15 The Show

Wait, what are they actually using?

Weser says "the Sony images offer realistic representations of players. We're excited to incorporate these images in our scouting reports."

That to me sounds like they take screenshots or something and put them in scouting reports. The writer uses the word data which implies statistical data (i.e. sim stats or player ratings). Although technically anything can be data including images. In my work we refer to aerial and satellite photography as data. Am I missing a quote from Weser or something where he refers to what data they use?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Rookie

Fuos1988's Arena

Re: The Houston Astros' Hot Start Can Be Partially Attributed To MLB 15 The Show

Does the show deserve partialcredit for astros 2011 to 2014 also?
2011 56-106 2012 55-107 2013 51-111 2014 70-92
Old 05-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Rookie

when the astros finish 10 games under .500 is it going to be partially the show's fault?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuos1988
Does the show deserve partialcredit for astros 2011 to 2014 also?
2011 56-106 2012 55-107 2013 51-111 2014 70-92
No, that's the old timing window without directional hitting.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Here's what I know about The Show....If you are in a 2-0 or 3-0 count the CPU will throw a change-up. No such thing as a fast ball count vs the CPU.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

According to baseball reference there were two Chris Gill's that played proffesional baseball, neither of them ever made it to the MLB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »