Home

Need for Speed Will Require an Online Connection

This is a discussion on Need for Speed Will Require an Online Connection within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Need for Speed Will Require an Online Connection

Since always online has been such a raging success, with every game trying it having no issues whatsoever, EA has decided to make Need for Speed require an online connection in order to play. As was revealed on the official Twitter account for Need for Speed...

Of course, there is a single player component to the game, just you'll need to be connected to the EA servers to play it.

I guess we'll just wait and see. One of these days, a major 'always-online' game is going to launch and it's going to work amazingly well from the get go. Why not Need for Speed, right?
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0
Can't wait until Lizard Squad hacks the systems again and render our consoles as bricks -_-. If games are going to require a constant online connection, then YOUR severs need to be functional and secure.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13
Huge tactical mistake by EA. Those who love the series will still buy it, but casual fans, like me, will reject now. The game is not important enough to me to agree to those terms. To me, aside from server issues which may interrupt gameplay, my use of the game ends when EA decides to close down its servers? Unacceptable. No way am I agreeing to that.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Need for Speed Will Require an Online Connection

That's a significant mistake in my opinion.

As someone who is a fan of NFS games, It may have an impact on my decision down the line. It makes me even more skeptical about the makeover.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
Welp, this will end badly. I understand what EA is trying to do here - but the reality is it just does not work with the current environment we all have to rely on. This will go down in flames. Hope we are all wrong, but always online is a joke.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
Rookie

Then I'll have to pass. I went through the SimCity disaster and it was the same thing, they said that always online was for us the gamers and that it would improve our experience. It turned out to be a complete lie, which Maxis the developer confirmed was a lie. And it was an awful experience. Couldn't play for 4 days... slow and dropped connections. No thank you. In my opinion this is just more corporate BS talk by EA.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 33
Never been a fan of the series but any game forcing Online connections deserves a thumbs down. 👎
Old 05-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

You guys should probably do your homework -- Need for Speed Rivals was a single-player game that was "always online," in that you shared a session with other players (depending on your settings). You could pretty much ignore the online component if you wanted to by joining a private session by yourself, by ignoring the other players (which was possible because of the size of the map), or by declining their competition requests. This could just be an extension of that on a slightly bigger scale.

Last edited by spidertour02; 05-29-2015 at 01:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »