Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Trailer - Chambers Bay

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Trailer - Chambers Bay within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Trailer - Chambers Bay

Well, still looks better than MY swing...
Old 06-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I was just about to say, those swing animations are pretty choppy and completely lack rhythm. Although, in the game's defense, if you are controlling the swing w/ an analog input, perhaps it's just a reflection of what the stick inputs are? Anyway, EA's games always look fantastic in still photos, but almost invariably look much worse in motion (see: every "Madden" ever).
Now we know why they haven't shown any in game videos until now.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I was just about to say, those swing animations are pretty choppy and completely lack rhythm. Although, in the game's defense, if you are controlling the swing w/ an analog input, perhaps it's just a reflection of what the stick inputs are? Anyway, EA's games always look fantastic in still photos, but almost invariably look much worse in motion (see: every "Madden" ever).
Some of the most honest words Ive read regarding EA games in a while. That said, I am kind of excited for this game, havent played video game golf in a while (and real golf tends to get ugly quick...). Day one purchase is doubtful but definitely a game I will be keeping my eye on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 AM   #12

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I'd hold off on the impressions of the swing animations based on that video. If I recall from some of the information released earlier the hitch/release is determined by user input and this could be done by design.

My impressions and opinion of this game have been duly noted but I wouldn't take that swing to heart just yet.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:44 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 33
How can a game that on this generation of consoles still struggle to get a players animation right??? Especially considering at most times the golfer is the only animated character on screen. EA took plenty of time out to bring golf to the Xbox One & PS4 yet we've still ended up with a big drop in Courses & Pros. This game may lay a building block for future iterations but for the time this games been in development I expected a little more.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
How can a game that on this generation of consoles still struggle to get a players animation right??? Especially considering at most times the golfer is the only animated character on screen. EA took plenty of time out to bring golf to the Xbox One & PS4 yet we've still ended up with a big drop in Courses & Pros. This game may lay a building block for future iterations but for the time this games been in development I expected a little more.
Not exactly. There are 4 golfers and 4 caddies on that video along with hundreds of animated fans in the gallery. I'm with Kehlis, lets not judge the swing animations until we know if they were impacted by user input or not. My guess is those scenes are done with user input as I am pretty sure the AI is not capable of developing the exact scenes they were looking for.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I'd hold off on the impressions of the swing animations based on that video. If I recall from some of the information released earlier the hitch/release is determined by user input and this could be done by design.

My impressions and opinion of this game have been duly noted but I wouldn't take that swing to heart just yet.
My issue is moreso the lack of variety. How is it 2015 and they can't have 100-200 different swing styles in the game, including the unique styles for the players they license? Not even directly referring to this iteration. They haven't done this...ever lol

Quote:
As for swings looking the same, despite a few odd balls (I.e furyk) most swings are generally the same.
Couldn't be further from the truth.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JODYE
My issue is moreso the lack of variety. How is it 2015 and they can't have 100-200 different swing styles in the game, including the unique styles for the players they license? Not even directly referring to this iteration. They haven't done this...ever lol

Couldn't be further from the truth.
Fully agree, the golfers and swings/stances are as plain as can be. Like the classic saltine cracker.

If you watch some of the short golfer intro videos they made, a couple were from the same exact angle and the only difference was the clothes/shoes/club (I think) and the face. Everything else exactly the same.

Very disappointing, but most ea sports games have always had issues with differentiating players and how they play. Definitely one of the weaknesses in their sports titles and a reason I find it hard to get immersed in their games. Becomes boring very quickly.

The swings/stances of golfers and what they are trying to achieve are very different. That's why there are so many swing coaches trying to get their guys to do different things. Aspects like this have to be included in a game so focused on individual play. To me this is just as important as having a lot of courses to play.

Look at these clips:

Fowler (:11 seconds in, pause at the top of swing for a good look) https://youtu.be/_fmqptzNT8c?t=11s

Spieth (1:20 in, pause at the top of swing for a good look): https://youtu.be/iaJOLCK8ns8?t=1m21s

Just one example, but obviously no where near the same.

To be fair, I guess no other golf game has individual swings tied to a player or different swing types, but for the PGA Tour officially licensed game not to have them is a real shame. All golf games need to incorporate a large amount of swing/stance types in their games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »