Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour designer Justin Patel confirmed yesterday on the OS Forums that Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is not going to be a yearly release. This is not entirely unexpected news, but it is confirmation of that fact.

Also Patel does indicate the game will get free content updates after release as well. What that means is vague, but one would seem to think it would almost certainly mean courses and golfers being possible add-ons after the fact. Given the relatively slim amount of content available on the disk, and the pushback from fans following that reveal, this is a good bit of news.

There's also not a confirmation of what schedule, if any, any future Rory games will be released on. There has been some speculation, although currently unfounded, that Rory could eventually morph into a more subscription-based format where official golfers and courses are added and subtracted all of the time.

If you recall, EA Sports UFC released with a limited number of licensed fighters, but quickly ramped that number up with updates. It's likely that PGA Tour could be following a similar model of content releases. It's also possible that Rory will be an every other year release -- but we haven't heard official confirmation of that yet.

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is set to release for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on July 14. EA Access subscribers can play the trial version on July 9 for up to 10 hours. Check out some gameplay footage here.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
Good news.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
MVP

sarlndr's Arena

OVR: 6
I haven't played a golf game in almost 10 years. It may be time to end the drought and pick this title up. Great news if they update the game like UFC. Not so great if they just add clubs, tee's and balls
Old 07-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

I had a feeling this would be the case with this title. Golf is a different sport than the rest. They can get away with not putting out a yearly release. Sure Rory won't have a course creator but if they add courses every few months than that's awesome. I'm sure the power of frostbite hindered their ability to add courses on disk after seeing that video. But maybe someone could answer this. Is dlc added to the consoles hard drive rather than game data? I'm just wondering because maybe they just couldn't fit more than 8 courses on the disk itself.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
The game is only around 26gb on the XB1, so I doubt that's the case...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 33
I think a 2 year cycle would suffice. The problem with longer term concepts that rely more heavily on DLC is that many elements of the game will remain untouched. More Courses & more Pros is fine but in the longer term these updates won't suffice unless presentation elements & gameplay improvements can be added effectively via DLC.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 18

Courses added and subtracted?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Good news. I like the idea. It makes sense. You dont have to release a golf game yearly. Rules dont change. The game doesnt change. The players don't really change. There's no teams, etc.

I dont like the idea of "subtracting" players and courses however.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »