Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
MVP

cdawg44's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Not necessarily. If they release continuous premium DLC to keep the game fresh and not FORCE the buyer to get a 60 dollar game every year, but sporadic DLC year round, they could keep revenues up maybe even beat them. (AND it allow's the consumer to choose what DLC they want so they're not pressured into buying something that they NEED, only WANT... so psychologically they feel more inclined to it.
EA has made it clear that the 60 dollar game is designed to just get you in the door. Where they make their best money is DLC with things like Ultimate Team and other preminum content. If anything, Hardcore players will spend much more money in niche games like this for continuos updates if it is done correctly by pursuing content we want. This would never happen with Fifa or Madden or 2K because they are such high sellers, but for niche sports games such as Boxing, Golf, Tennis and others it's a great way to maximize revenue in a lower volume seller. Instead of spending 60 every year and losing money to retailers who want their cut and printing costs for discs, EA makes more money directly from the consumer. It's a win win for all sides. We don't have to buy a new disc every single year and can use our DLC for 2 years or longer and EA gets to do transaction directly with consumer and doesn't have to share with retailers.

My Teams:
NCAA Football: USC Trojans
NCAA Basketball: UNC Tarheels
NFL: Houston Texans
Premier League: Arsenal
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
Now if only they would do this with every sports title (that is: not make them yearly releases). The longer development cycle would (or at least should) do wonders to actually improve the game from release to release. That said I never expect it because EA would be sacrificing 50% of their revenues, and shareholders wouldn't be too pleased.
Actually, I respectfully disagree. I think EA is also competing with mobile gaming and they realize that quite possibly annual game releases of certain sports may not be the answer. I think UFC and now RM are guinea pigs to see how a non-annual release schedule might work. It fits Golf to a "T", but it would be a different animal for the Maddens, NHL's, NBA Live's, FIFA's of their world.....if you listened to their E3 presser, they are killing it in the mobile and DLC marketplace.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
MVP

ricky24's Arena

OVR: 0

So this probably means it's never hitting the Ea access vault huh? Or not anytime soon anyways.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #20
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
So this probably means it's never hitting the Ea access vault huh? Or not anytime soon anyways.
EA UFC is a biannual title and it's in the vault.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
MVP

ricky24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
EA UFC is a biannual title and it's in the vault.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought about that after my post. Good point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #22
Rookie

Golfsprince's Arena

I think EA and HBS knew of this idea a long time ago together when they were supposed to work on TW 15 but since EA decided to take a year off, HBS decided to go their own route and use the ideas they had originally planned together with EA so I wouldn't necessarily say EA followed in HBS' path because this was planned way ahead of time, HBS just took advantage first and has done a great job with it

A course creator in RM PGA would be cool but I think if they can somehow get 80+ true remodels of real courses as well as some more fantasy courses, I think that would be more than satisfying.

Favorite Teams

Golf - USA Ryder Cup Squad

NFL - Bears, Falcons

NBA - Bulls

MLB - White Sox

College - Northwestern Wildcats, DePaul Blue Demons, UIC Flames, DuPage Chaparrals
Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHammer113
It's unbelievable how well TGC has communicated with the public and kept the game fresh. They have done a masterful job and EA should follow their lead. Now if EA somehow created a golf course designer with Frostbite I would dish out much more than $60. It is definitely wishful thinking, but Frostbite seems extremely powerful

And if TGC wasn't an ugly game with crap presentation, and was fun to play, I wouldn't need a new golf game. Is this really the conversation you want to have in this thread?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohle
And if TGC wasn't an ugly game with crap presentation, and was fun to play, I wouldn't need a new golf game. Is this really the conversation you want to have in this thread?
I disagree with the game being ugly, but do agree with the poor presentation. There's no doubt RM will be better looking and play better, but there is absolutely no denying the lasting appeal that TGC has because of TGC tours and the course creator. If RM comes up with either or both than it will surpass every golf game every made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »