Home

Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

This is a discussion on Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

Hope he finds success in whatever he chooses to pursue but I'm glad he is gone. One guy handling the ratings for every player in the game is just ludacris. Hopefully the ratings system will improve and go from a czar to a more democratic option.

Does anyone hope to see the ratings lowered and more spread out? I'm really hoping to see decent starters be rated in the 60-70 region and not as many guys in the 90s.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Best of luck to Donny in whatever he decides to do next.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I hope this doesn't mean they going the NBA Live route with Synergy and make ratings non editable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Wish him luck but, hopefully this will lead to getting away from these horrible overrated ratings.

The ratings have always been part of the problem with how the game plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't have a whole lot of emotion when it comes to ratings in the sense of who is a 98 vs an 88. I also do not have the sense that all of the many, MANY ratings of each player has much of an outcome, and if some could be consolidated. Pass-blocking strength vs footwork, for example. I bite my tongue too, because adding and removing attributes usually cements the fact that rosters are not portable from year to year. In creating modding rosters, I (and Capa when we do classic rosters) create a LOT of players. In doing so, I am a firm believer that there are hidden attributes, especially so for well known stars. I believe this because created players with the same attributes as an existing rarely play the exactly same way. I'm not clear as to whether the confidence mechanic holds tons of pull on this or if it is also due to height and weight. It has been written that height and weight matter a lot. In addition to ratings, you also have player tendencies to the side, trigger-happy, or agreesive catcher, etc. I really just want to know the real cause and affect with regard to attributes, and if they are consistent throughout rosters regardless if it is Peyton Manning or a created player.

Last edited by l8knight1; 07-02-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Obviously you wish the guy well and hope to heck he's got something else on the table and can feed his family.

Personal stuff aside, and focusing just on the game, this is an encouraging move to me as a fan of football and football video games. The game I play the most (baseball game) has a much more extensive ratings spread that really allows you to distinguish between league average players, below average players, and elite players. I think Madden sorely needs a drastic revision in ratings philosophy, and that the game needs to utilize much more of the ratings scale than they do. I also think ratings need to be rethought from the ground up so that ratings without a clear function or ratings that are tied to too many things can be eliminated.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Not to knock the guy down but I am excited for a change here. After inputting all of the fbg ratings into the game last year and seeing what a HUGE difference it made to the game and gameplay I think it's time madden makes a change. It's amazing how different (in a extremely positive way) the game plays with different ratings.

I'm looking forward to a change and something similar to the fbg ratings where it's based off data and not the eye test and watching you tube videos. From the E3 videos I saw I stated and noticed it looked like they finally slowed the game speed down which IMO makes the game look and animate better. Then come to find out they redid speed ratings which might have been what I was noticing. I can't help but think though that maybe the devs saw the big fbg thread or roster threads for both xbox1 and ps4 and realized it was finally time for a change from all the positive comments about how the game played with fbg ratings in their game?

At least use the speed, acceleration, agility, and strength to scale from data at the very least. I think route running, coverage, and awareness is all subjective and maybe those areas you could eye test. Hopefully they take the FIFA or nba2k approach with spreading ratings out and not being so worried about what the overall rating is. Make players play like themselves so we can finally see a difference in a Jerome Bettis as opposed to a Reggie bush.

It is odd and a little worrisome this is taking place so late in the development cycle though and it will be interesting to see how this plays out throughout the year. Maybe we don't see a difference til next year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #16
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, I've felt for a while that the ratings system needed some fresh blood, or at least a new perspective, but this might not actually mean that's what's happening. You always run the risk that the replacement will be even worse.

I remember that article a while ago on the disconnect between what some developers wanted to do and what Donny wanted. As in Donny wanted to continue to expand the ratings to show greater difference between players, while others were completely at a loss as to why that was necessary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »