Home

NBA Live 16 Features Over 8,000 New Animations

This is a discussion on NBA Live 16 Features Over 8,000 New Animations within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA Live 16 Features Over 8,000 New Animations

EA has posted a new blog detailing four key gameplay upgrades to NBA Live 16. The article talks a lot about animations, in fact NBA Live 16 will feature over 8,000 new ones.

Smoother Dribbling

Fans will notice many small changes to gameplay in NBA LIVE 16 that improve ball handling – including dribble handoffs. “It’s a huge part of the NBA and it’s a new mechanic that’s going to open up so many different opportunities on the court,” says producer Connor Dougan.

There are also new driving animations with a smoother and more responsive dribble system in NBA LIVE 16. “We’ve been building tech for over two years now that serves as the foundation for what we will deliver in NBA LIVE 16,” says executive producer Sean O’Brien.

Sharper Passing

That technology allows for better ball movement, which is vital for success on the court. Swing the ball around the perimeter and find the open man for a corner-three with Touch Passing. “You’ll have the ability to square up on the catch for a catch-and-shot with no delay, and smooth animation,” says Dougan.

Animations have also been polished across the board. “We’ve run more mo-cap shoots this year than any other basketball game I’ve ever worked on,” says senior designer Ryan Santos.

However it’s not just more mo-cap that matters, but the type of mo-cap. “We’re playing a lot of 5-on-5 and just letting the talent play hoops. We then grab the motion we need from that to get a much more natural look.”

Off-Ball Movement and Live Motion

The focus on improving animations in NBA LIVE 16 went well beyond sharper passing.

“We’ve added thousands of new animations with LIVE Motion,” says Dougan. In total, there are over 8,000 new animations in NBA LIVE 16, which add up to make off-ball movement more realistic.

“Players are physical and aware of each other,” adds Dougan. “You can bump cutters, swim around players and deny the ball. There’s a lot more physicality.”

Building with Community Feedback

“This team listens to player feedback religiously,” says O’Brien. “We pride ourselves on it.”

Everything starts with what fans tell the team about their game, and the group at Tiburon is focused on delivering the most realistic basketball experience to those who love NBA LIVE.

“This game isn’t being built for us,” says O’Brien. “It’s being built for our fans.”

Source - EA
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Banned

ThaLiveKing's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Four Key Gameplay Upgrades to NBA Live 16

“We’ve added thousands of new animations with LIVE Motion,” says Dougan. In total, there are over 8,000 new animations in NBA LIVE 16, which add up to make off-ball movement more realistic.

This is something everybody has been asking for, more animations
Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Pro

HoosierDaddy's Arena

OVR: 21

I like it, but still think the whole game needs to be slowed down from an animation perspective. That, in combination with turbo, really makes the game look and feel unnatural.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

I have a feeling that with sliders now in play, that we will be able to tweak that to our liking. If I remember correctly Live 10 allowed us to do this.

Love to hear that they are actually mo-capping 5 on 5 action as well. Off the ball movement has noticeably improved because of this already.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

All this sounds great, and looks good on paper. But for me, i have to see it in motion. That's when i'll believe it. Intrigued though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Building with community feedback is the most important point of them all, and is what has been sorely missing from the last couple of games....looking forward to it
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0
I hope they improved the net physics also. There needs to be more of a variation in the way the ball goes through the net. In Live almost every shot is a swish smh. This is a major issue for me.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NBA Live 16 Features Over 8,000 New Animations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
I hope they improved the net physics also. There needs to be more of a variation in the way the ball goes through the net. In Live almost every shot is a swish smh. This is a major issue for me.
If you have watched any of the videos you can tell that this has been improved upon greatly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »