Home

Is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour a Sim, Or Something Else? (Video)

This is a discussion on Is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour a Sim, Or Something Else? (Video) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour a Sim, Or Something Else? (Video)

Like pretty much everything in that game, you could turn the time of day things off.

Due to how good their last effort played from a sim and options standpoint, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt on this game. A lot will disagree with me, but whatever.

If it seems disappointing, I will just not buy and move on. Usually that simple for me. I'm not going to cry over not playing a video game version of golf. I do enough of that over my actual golf game.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Like pretty much everything in that game, you could turn the time of day things off.
Yeah, I figured that out later, but by then it was college football season. Remember when that was a thing (in video games)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
If it seems disappointing, I will just not buy and move on. Usually that simple for me. I'm not going to cry over not playing a video game version of golf. I do enough of that over my actual golf game.
Sort of obviates the need for this forum, then, doesn't it?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp

Sort of obviates the need for this forum, then, doesn't it?
Haha, nah. Rory's game is not my hill to die on. I'll leave it to the experts!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Banned

Clarke99's Arena

OVR: 0
Bring on the fun! If they can balance the best of both worlds why not do it! I'm sure there will be some deep sim stuff too. Golfers themselves aren't exactly to die for athletes, more courses would be nice but it's EA they'll sell more courses later online
Old 07-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Seems like EA has decided to let "The Golf Club" be the pure sim game, while they use this version of Rory to go after the Hot Shots crowd that still doesn't have a game on "next-gen" systems.
TGC is not a "pure sim game". It is good at what it does, but lets face it, the only really challenging aspect of TGC is the putting. Tee to green is almost robotic. The short game is easy and the use of the lob wedge should be called a "gimme".

After 400+ rounds, I am 87% FIR and 85% GIR and average score of -7 per round with a handicap of 10+. I am seeing scores regularly in the mid-50's at TGC Tours on the PGA TOUR. Hardly a "sim", IMO. Tiger 14 in pure Simulation mode was much more challenging, again IMO. We won't be able to state what you stated until we see how the game plays and how the game plays at it's most "sim" settings......

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2

Last edited by DivotMaker; 07-07-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronoko
They have a lot of work to do to match the physics in Hot Shots Golf.
Opinions vary.....however, I have seen some evidence that EA has upped their game with respect to ball physics....

The Golf Club 2
Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Nice concise summary, MMChrisS. Based on what we've seen (and also based on prior experience with the EA golfing franchise), I'll recycle my analogy from another post: this is the Las Vegas buffet approach to sports gaming. There's Italian, Chinese, French, steak, etc...take whatever you want, leave whatever you don't. In theory, it's great - but in practice, no one element there is particularly good. You can't do everything and do it all equally well. If you want the best French food, you're going to go to "Joel Robuchon", not the Luxor buffet. This game is the Luxor buffet.

(Pro tip: don't go to the Luxor buffet, by the way...if you must do a buffet, you're better off at Bellagio or Wynn. But if you're over there anyway, do Le Cirque or Picasso....wait, what was my point here?).
Going to go and disagree here. If your Golf engine is solid and your physics engine is solid, then you can dial up or dial down difficulty to fit NUMEROUS gameplay scenarios. If RM is anything like TW14 as far as the range of options with which you can choose to play, it will be just fine. I do believe they can be pretty much all things to everyone especially when you consider their taglines...."GolfWithNoLimits" and "PlayYourWay" or something to that effect.

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Seems like EA has decided to let "The Golf Club" be the pure sim game, while they use this version of Rory to go after the Hot Shots crowd that still doesn't have a game on "next-gen" systems.
The Golf Club is a "sim"? lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »