Home

CBS Sports: 'The (NCAA) Video Game Will Return One Day'

This is a discussion on CBS Sports: 'The (NCAA) Video Game Will Return One Day' within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
CBS Sports: 'The (NCAA) Video Game Will Return One Day'

Jon Solomon, a prominent College Football writer, weighed in on the latest developments of the O'Bannon Case with a prediction that NCAA Football isn't gone forever.

Quote:
"Many fans and players have clamored for the football video game to return. An EA executive testified at the Ed O'Bannon trial that the company would have paid players to use their image if NCAA rules allowed it. Prediction: The video game will return one day -- either by EA or another company -- once legal cases get sorted out and group licensing for players occurs. There's too much of a demand for the product. Meanwhile, the plaintiffs' lawyers in the EA/NCAA settlement have reopened the claims window for video game money. Claims can be made here. A new deadline has been set until July 15, although there is no guarantee people who make late submissions will be paid."

This is a commonly held view with people who know details of the case and the future of college athletics, including yours truly. The general line of thinking is pretty simple, when group licensing becomes available for college athletes (sooner rather than later) and all legal battles are fully settled -- there is no reason to think a college football video game(s) won't be making a comeback. The economics make too much sense, and the demand will certainly be there.

When it comes to popularity, college football is further along than many other sports which do have yearly video games. With a summit being held in early August to discuss the future of Division I, and with lawsuits slowly being worked through, it's more likely than not we'll see movement towards licensing becoming a thing fairly soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Rookie

Agatorfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Not really buying this but if true, I might crap my pants in excitement
Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Banned

Aggies67's Arena

I think the title of this thread should be "CBS Sports Predicts NCAA Video Game Will Return One Day"
Old 07-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
The NCAA series definitely needed a break, so maybe this will all be a blessing in disguise. However, I find it hard to believe that all 120 schools will be a part of the new game and still make it economically feasible for EA (or another company) to profit. We'll see though!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
Rookie

bayers3's Arena

Just had to use a picture of the horrific Cal uniforms, didn't you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Rookie

A new college sports game will be here soon
Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8
That's great to hear! The potential $$$$ for all involved leads me to agree that it will be the case...as is often said, if you want to understand something follow the money and in this case the $$$ points to the game coming back.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: CBS Sports: 'The (NCAA) Video Game Will Return One Day'

Oh god please be true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »