Home

College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know...

This is a discussion on College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know...

There's a lot of speculation around Operation Sports right now about what 2K Sports could be up to with the leaked achievements list, which included mentions of college themed activities for MyPlayer. Also, some of the cover athletes are pictured in their college uniforms (Curry and Harden are, while Davis and Jordan are not) on the official game covers.

The two achievements in question involve both picking a college and leaving early for the NBA Draft -- which tends to indicate that there will be something in between both events to allow you to progress from one to the other.

On that same token, many OSers confirmed, (more specifically King_B_Mack and Phreezy P - See video here) that some Universities were showing up on the CLC website as having a video game's license bought by 2K. As of right now that listing is no longer listed on the CLC website, which means they were taken down at some point in the last day.

In total, there were 10 universities (scratch that, make it 11) listed with 2K Sports as a licensee on the CLC website before they were removed (once again, thanks to King_B_Mack for the tip). Those schools included: Arizona State, Arizona, UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan, Texas, UCLA, Villanova, Wisconsin and Kansas.

Also it should be noted that some schools do not license through the CLC, so the aforementioned list is likely not a complete rundown of schools that would be licensed by 2K at this time.

What this could mean is pretty simple: If 2K has indeed licensed with schools -- they plan on using their brands (logos, uniforms, etc.) in the game at least on some level. Now what level of involvement there will be or not is entirely up in the air.

However, it is seriously doubtful any attempt at a 'realistic' depiction of NCAA basketball with likenesses, etc. is coming given ongoing litigation. Getting schools to sign off on their logos and such being used would probably require that any usage is as far away as possible from having likenesses of current athletes in the game. It's also worth mentioning that there is no official NCAA licensing listed at this time -- and any official tournament branding wouldn't be possible without that.

So what do you think the colleges and universities in NBA 2K16 mean? Sound off in the comments!
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Banned

ThaLiveKing's Arena

OVR: 3
I think they're going to change the park/rec mode, and have you on college teams with friends or other onlne users to work your way to the NBA in an online career mode. Instead of the usual you play with the CPU, you're playing with real people. That's what I think they're going to do
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Could NBA 2K16 Feature Real Colleges? We Dissect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

There's a lot of speculation around Operation Sports right now about what 2K Sports could be up to with the leaked achievements list, which included mentions of college themed activities for MyPlayer. Also, all of the cover athletes are pictured in their college uniforms on the official game covers.

The two achievements in question involve both picking a college and leaving early for the NBA Draft -- which tends to indicate that there will be something in between both events to allow you to progress from one to the other.

On that same token, many OSers confirmed (thanks to a video on YouTube) that some Universities were showing up on the CLC website as having a video game's license bought by 2K. As of right now that listing is no longer listed on the CLC website, which means they were taken down at some point in the last day.

In total, there were 10 universities listed with 2K Sports as a licensee on the CLC website before they were removed (thanks to a post on OS for the tip). Those schools included: Arizona State, Arizona, UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan, Texas, UCLA, Villanova, and Wisconsin.

Also it should be noted that some schools do not license through the CLC, so the aforementioned list is likely not a complete rundown of schools that would be licensed by 2K at this time.

What this could mean is pretty simple: If 2K has indeed licensed with schools -- they plan on using their brands (logos, uniforms, etc.) in the game at least on some level. Now what level of involvement there will be or not is entirely up in the air.

However, it is seriously doubtful any attempt at a 'realistic' depiction of NCAA basketball with likenesses, etc. is coming given ongoing litigation. Getting schools to sign off on their logos and such being used would probably require that any usage is as far away as possible from having likenesses of current athletes in the game. It's also worth mentioning that there is no official NCAA licensing listed at this time -- and any official tournament branding wouldn't be possible without that.

So what do you think the colleges and universities in NBA 2K16 mean? Sound off in the comments!
Right this may be nothing more than a cutscene in my player about you announcing the college that you go to and some kind of event that forces you to jump to the pros early, probably pressure from income issues, or scouts saying that you could be a lottery pick.

I just hope in the future that they can expand on this collegè experience.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

*Cough* My video came first *Cough* (Thanks To King_B_Mack of course)

You could add Kansas to that list as I scrolled across it in my own findings.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 07-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
What about fiba national teams?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

Very interesting. While as in the past, they wouldn't have the likeness of actual amateur players on the college teams, they could have the current professional players on the college teams they played for last year(I.E. Kaminsky & Dekker on Wisconsin), along with generic teammates. It would be crazy if they are looking to simulate an actual portion of the NCAA tournament.... This sounds promising. Have always wanted this sort of pathway in MyCareer.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Vic Viper's Arena

I think it's all MyPlayer/Career mode related. I see the player aka (Frequency Vibrations) starting in High School and playing games throughout his High School senior year. We eventually make it to the High School State Championship game and after that game we have to make a decision on what College we will attend. (Achievement Rewarded) Once we choose our school, we play a random schedule or a specific amount of games that pertains to the storyline. We eventually have to make a decision. Do we go to the league early?! Do we Chase the money and become a high lottery pick or do we wait it out til our senior or junior and risk going lower in the draft? I think these are all possiblities.

We will eventually face hardship, betrayal, injury setbacks and/or off court issues related to the player's upbringing. How will it play out? I think 2K signed deals with the top 5 major college basketball conferences. I HIGHLY DOUBT and will put money on 2K not using all of the college basketball schools, or smaller schools for that matter. Spike Lee did a great job with "He Got Game" and I think he will do a magnificent job with incorporating College schools and telling a solid story.

Last edited by Vic Viper; 07-16-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
I think it's all MyPlayer/Career mode related. I see the player aka (Frequency Vibrations) starting in High School and playing games throughout his High School senior year. We eventually make it to the High School State Championship game and after that game we have to make a decision on what College we will attend. (Achievement Rewarded) Once we choose our school, we play a random schedule or a specific amount of games that pertains to the storyline. We eventually have to make a decision. Do we got to the league early?! Do we Chase the money and become a high lottery pick or do we wait it out til our senior or junior and risk going lower in the draft? I think these are all possiblities.

We will eventually face hardship, betrayal, injury setbacks and/or off court issues related to the player's upbringing. How will it play out? I think 2K signed deals with the top 5 major college basketball conferences. I HIGHLY DOUBT and will put money on 2K not using all of the college basketball schools, or smaller schools for that matter. Spike Lee did a great job with "He Got Game" and I think he will do a magnificent job with incorporating College schools and telling a solid story.
I still doubt the college game is this heavily involved.

I feel like it's going to be about 10-15 minutes of back story with interactive cut scenes. The first game you play will be the rookie showcase or summer league. As usual.

That's just my opinion though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »