Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 33
Just picked the game up but had only enough time for a quick look. 1st impressions are, as everyone's,in that this is a stripped down game. Let's face it, this is what EA do to nearly all their games when they step up to a new console so I've come to expect no more from them in that regard. To be honest I'm not bothered about the Tour Mode & I'm sure DLC will bring with it more Pros/Courses albeit at at price.
I would like to have seen the Quick Round feature implemented in Play Now Mode. It's a nice addition especially if time is an issue. Hopefully that may get patched in.
Having had a crack at the control systems on offer I surprisingly found the 3-Click System, as archaic as it is to seems to be the right fit for me at the moment anyway.
I'm playing on the Xbox One & the visuals in the game are very inconsistent. From near photo realistic to being pretty messy with some choppy frame rates.
Commentary is likely the best in the series although that's not saying much & I'm sure it'll get stale in time.
Despite the negatives I don't feel that this is a bad game & I still think I'll have fun with it, especially with a few friends around & a few beers. As I said the DLC will come but at a cost. Whether we'll see general improvements & upgrades to the overall product I much doubt as this would be harder for EA to justify charging us for & those guys don't do much for free!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

A decent review of a very good game. I like the stripped down feel of it. In my view people should play online as the golfer they created for themselves. Playing as a top pro is a cop out. Instead they should develop their own players over time.
I also like the minimal character creation options. In the past TW games many have created deliberatly bizarre characters. But by being different they ended like everybody else. I welcome the fact that it's been kept simple by EA. this is a golf game and not a soap opera or game show.
But we live in times where people want glitz rather than quality, where they don't have to think too much and can shoot -30 without any effort.
I think EA should be complimented on their radical approach. It's radical because they have created an old school golf game where the golf itself is more important than the fancy dressing. Unfortunately the reviews will ensure this game flops. The world has moved on from honest golf games where playing the game was more important than being a red Turkey or being 12 feet tall on the course.
I think think the game is brilliant. It needs fine tuning and obviously it needs more courses. These will come( I hope ) it also needs more online tournaments in modes other than silly arcade. If play the game properly then this game is for you. Sadly most people really don't want that any more.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrycurran62
A decent review of a very good game. I like the stripped down feel of it. In my view people should play online as the golfer they created for themselves. Playing as a top pro is a cop out. Instead they should develop their own players over time.
I also like the minimal character creation options. In the past TW games many have created deliberatly bizarre characters. But by being different they ended like everybody else. I welcome the fact that it's been kept simple by EA. this is a golf game and not a soap opera or game show.
But we live in times where people want glitz rather than quality, where they don't have to think too much and can shoot -30 without any effort.
I think EA should be complimented on their radical approach. It's radical because they have created an old school golf game where the golf itself is more important than the fancy dressing. Unfortunately the reviews will ensure this game flops. The world has moved on from honest golf games where playing the game was more important than being a red Turkey or being 12 feet tall on the course.
I think think the game is brilliant. It needs fine tuning and obviously it needs more courses. These will come( I hope ) it also needs more online tournaments in modes other than silly arcade. If play the game properly then this game is for you. Sadly most people really don't want that any more.
Bearing in mind PGA 15 has a Battlefield Course, a Night Game Mode & some ridiculous characters outside of the licensed Pros I find your comments on going back to basics a little off the mark.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
Pro

Having spent some more time with the game Im inclined to give it a 7.5. Yes the Course list & available Pros have shrunk & will need addressing but on the course I'm enjoying this more than any other golf game in recent history. Played 2 Rounds at Sawgrass. Hit a +5 with Winds at Maximum. Tuned the Wind down & hit a -4. The gameplay is well balanced with the options available to allow a good challenge without being unplayable.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 13

Thanks for the review; it reads like a measured approach to the game.

I wonder if - given the alleged emphasis on update via iteration for this game - it's worth revisiting or 'updating' the review in, say, 6 months' time? The game may be enhanced by future DLC (although IMO, paid DLC shouldn't warrant a return/re-score since it's essentially buying an additional game), or have some of the core mechanics changed or tweaked. Also, as we all know, with time minor annoyances or serious problems can become apparent that may not have necessarily been apparent in the immediate launch period.

Anyway, appreciate the review.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 8
First I tend to agree that the on-course play is very well done but the licensed golfers and courses needs to be enhanced...just too few. As for the night golf, it has it's fun and I do believe it does to a small extent give your practice with the mechanics.
Finally, I agree with pietasterp that a re-review in 6 months is probably in order. If memory serves, a lot of things where added to NHL 15 after launch and I expect the same here.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Banned

oldjim's Arena

OVR: 0

It should be the same price as The Golf Club.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Wow, did they get rid of their devs? Why would they give us such a bare boned next gen golf game? Nice start EA. Way to ruin the franchise for good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »