Home

$60 Million Settlement Approved by Judge in NCAA Licensing Suit...

This is a discussion on $60 Million Settlement Approved by Judge in NCAA Licensing Suit... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
$60 Million Settlement Approved by Judge in NCAA Licensing Suit...

The settlement in the Ed O'Bannon case has been approved by Judge Claudia Wilken, at a sum total of $60 million.

Quote:
"A judge granted approval a $60 million settlement of several class-action lawsuits relating to video game makers using the names, images and likenesses of college football and men's college basketball players.

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken approved a $60 million payment to the players on Thursday and said that any student-athlete who wants in on the claim must file by July 31. Objectors to the settlement have 30 days to appeal once Wilken finalizes the approval.

“It's a landmark day,” an attorney for the plaintiffs, Steve Berman said to USA Today. “It's the first time student-athletes will get paid for use of their name, image and likeness—and we’re anxious to get the settlement funds to the students.”

More than 20,000 claims were filed by original July 2 deadline and some players will receive a maximum of $7,200, which can be handed out as early as September, depending on the pace of the appeals."

Obviously this was not unexpected, this was the next step in the process to finalizing the case and clearing it out of the way. There is a 30-day objection waiting period before the funds can begin to be handed out. The most interesting note from the settlement is that current college players will be paid for their likenesses used in previous games and their eligibility will not be affected from that payment, which will mark a first for collegiate sports.

As far as the future and what this means for any eventual return of college sports games, it is one more hurdle that is cleared. The big one will be the NCAA formalizing a process where players can be paid for their likenesses in video games -- but its not clear if there is much of a push for that at the present time. Any such changes would have to almost certainly be approved at the NCAA general convention in January, but you'd likely hear of plans to bring it up and vote on it before then.

The best case scenario is that all of the stars and moons align, and the legal structures are put in place for a 2017 return for college games, as anything before that seems rather unlikely. Even a 2017 return is unlikely, but it would be the most likely earliest time period you could expect anything.

Update: Late last night, the NCAA decided to file for a stay in the injunction on the O'Bannon case. What this means is that they have decided that they are going to take this case to the highest court (Supreme Court) if need be, thus tying up the suit and the awards being offered for at least a couple more years. If the case gets to the Supreme Court, it'd get there either in 2016 or 2017 -- which means anything I wrote above about college games being possible with a decision from the NCAA is now moot since the case will be tied up for awhile longer. The settlement payments are still going out from EA/CLC however. The prospect of litigation being settled was a crucial step...but now that it is indeed not -- we're back to waiting for litigation to be settled. Viva la NCAA Football 14?
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Well good news. NCAA football 2019 here I come
Old 07-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Rookie

PackerBacker123's Arena

OVR: 6
TBH I'd rather have college hoops back rather than NCAA Football, considering I'm going to purchase Madden anyway.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Rookie

The funniest thing about this is that 2K was not part of the lawsuit, yet when you played online games of the NCAA basketball 2k games, the players names were actually used whereas EA just used numbers
Old 07-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: $60 Million Settlement Approved by Judge in NCAA Licensing Suit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
Well good news. NCAA football 2019 here I come
Im bettin on ncaa 17... Spring release....wishful thinking i know
NCAAF- MIAMI LSU
"IM SO UPTOWN AND IF U AIN'T MOTHA#$@ DONT GO UPTOWN, YEAH"

Quote:
How often can the bug be reproduced? That's a question for the developers...I'm not testing this for them...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
YEEEEEEEESSSS (school girl scream LOOL) ahem I mean this is good news. I would gladly invest my money for College sports video game.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #7
Rookie

i could seen 2017 Maybe if it goes thought fast December of this year
Old 07-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: $60 Million Settlement Approved by Judge in NCAA Licensing Suit...

Chris updated the story w/ some more news...
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »