Home

Post-Game Podcast - NBA Live 16 Pro-Am Hands-On Impressions

This is a discussion on Post-Game Podcast - NBA Live 16 Pro-Am Hands-On Impressions within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Post-Game Podcast - NBA Live 16 Pro-Am Hands-On Impressions

The hosts of the Post-Game Podcast recently had hands-on time with the new Pro-Am modes (LIVE Run, Summer Circuit) in NBA Live 16 and they talk about it in their latest podcast. Give it a listen here and find out what Marc and Corey have to say about it.

Quote:
First Half: Marc & Corey take a good chunk of time to discuss the return of OTP and EA's announcement of 'Pro-Am'. Both gentlemen have attended community events and are full of impressions, including talk on both LIVE Run, and Summer Circuit.

The guys detail the mode's specific features, including discussion on topics such as: how you progress, attributes, the differences between RP & SP, the mode's customization, teammate grades, GameFaceHD, 'Key Skills', Summer Circuit venues, answer Twitter questions & much, much more.

Our hosts then discuss their overall thoughts on the mode, how it compares to the competition, the similar mode name to 2K and the upcoming demo.

Halftime: The PES 2016 demo dropped, and Corey is both excited and disappointed in aspects of the demo compared to last year's title. Both hosts discuss their early impressions of PES 2016 and wonder if it's enough to win the race to soccer supremacy this fall.

The guys also dive into Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings for the Xbox One and Corey gushes about the accessibility and depth the game brings to Xbox fans who have been longing for a baseball title.

Second Half: In the penultimate episode of 'The Backlog', the guys are coming close to the end in Alien: Isolation, and the wear is starting to show. Is the game too long? What's happened to the game's narritive? Has frustration finally set in on Corey? Tune-in to find out!

Post-Game: Next week, we'll be discussing Madden NFL 16 retail impressions, taking a look back at the PSN Play games that released in July & finalize our trip through Alien: Isolation in the finale of 'The Backlog'!
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
I appreciate the info. I think is wrong to compare the park modes on the basis of waiting vs.not waiting. Especially when people cry about sim. Many times, bloggers agent athletes, they're computer guys who didn't play sports at high levels, let alone pick up games in the park. With that said, waiting for the next game is how it is in real life, if you suck and there are loads of people at the park, yoy will not run. Best choice is to watch and enjoy. At least on the game, yoy can leave and go play head to head or another mode.

What I'm more interested in is gameplay, they haven't talked about actual gameplay. So why should we use this as a measuring stick?a balance is needed in sports gaming where the developer's actually use the feedback from athletes in terms of authentic fameplay. Listening to non athletes talk about aspects that surround playing the actual sport is redundant.

These guys need to have a collective where athletes and nerds come together with big time gamers to get an all around authentic result Imo.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10
Sorry for the misspellings.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Post-Game Podcast - NBA Live 16 Pro-Am Hands-On Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
I appreciate the info. I think is wrong to compare the park modes on the basis of waiting vs.not waiting. Especially when people cry about sim. Many times, bloggers agent athletes, they're computer guys who didn't play sports at high levels, let alone pick up games in the park. With that said, waiting for the next game is how it is in real life, if you suck and there are loads of people at the park, yoy will not run. Best choice is to watch and enjoy. At least on the game, yoy can leave and go play head to head or another mode.
The point is no one enjoys waiting to play a video game they spent $60 on. If I wanted to wait to play, I would just go to the local rec center like normal. This is a video game, and the level of cluelessness with 2K on this is ridiculous. Like they said in the interview, many of don't have 30 minutes to wait to get in a game and then deal with cheesers. Skills shouldn't even be used when talking about this mode.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
EA Game Changer

CoreySA's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate

What I'm more interested in is gameplay, they haven't talked about actual gameplay. So why should we use this as a measuring stick?a balance is needed in sports gaming where the developer's actually use the feedback from athletes in terms of authentic fameplay. Listening to non athletes talk about aspects that surround playing the actual sport is redundant.

These guys need to have a collective where athletes and nerds come together with big time gamers to get an all around authentic result Imo.
I appreciate your viewpoint man. Look, I'm a huge sim-head who loves authenticity, and while I loved NBA 2K15 (it was my fav sports game last year by far), I think there is a limit to what "sim" should entitle.

While I want authenticity, at the end of the day, this is still a video game and I want the experience to be fun. I had fun once I was playing, but waiting is not my idea of a "sim experience". To me, it's a confusing design choice because people WANT to play your game and LOVE playing your game, so why make them wait? I don't have that kind of time, so for me, it's not very accessible. If we're looking for that kind of sim, where you want to wait to play, I don't know if that's what I'm looking for - in my view anyways.

As for gameplay, I'm still under NDA for some areas of the game so I couldn't cover that in detail yet, but we will be sure to cover it in a future episode.

Thanks for listening!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

CoreySA's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesadams3rd
The point is no one enjoys waiting to play a video game they spent $60 on. If I wanted to wait to play, I would just go to the local rec center like normal. This is a video game, and the level of cluelessness with 2K on this is ridiculous. Like they said in the interview, many of don't have 30 minutes to wait to get in a game and then deal with cheesers. Skills shouldn't even be used when talking about this mode.
For some, waiting is ok. The mode is great in concept, and for someone like me, I just wish I could play it more. Reality though, is that I just don't find much value behind waiting more to play than actually playing the game. It's like if I bought an RPG and I spent more time in loading screens then I did roaming an open world.

For someone who has limits on time, this mode isn't accessible to me. It doesn't mean it isn't good, but I do think this is an area that NBA LIVE 16 focuses in on. It relates to the gamer looking for that accessible experience and want to get in as much game time as possible. Doesn't mean it's better or worse - it's just meant to focus in on that specific crowd. Only the masses will determine what is better at the end of the day. I'm just happy we have this type of mode and choice now.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Reality =/= good game design. It's why we have things like third person cameras and icons/indicators. If everything was geared towards replicating the experience of playing the sport exactly, the games wouldn't be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I thought you no longer had to wait this year?

Either way, great job on the podcast...fun listen..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »