Home

NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies

EA Sports has released their NHL 16 player ratings for the top 10 goalies in the game, along with screenshots of each one of them in action.

The team looked at a goalie's reflexes, puck control, and athletic ability when deciding their overall rating. Check them out below and post your thoughts.

1. Carey Price - (Overall Rating - 94)
2. Henrik Lundqvist - (Overall Rating - 93)
3. Jonathan Quick - (Overall Rating - 93)
4. Tuukka Rask - (Overall Rating - 92)
5. Pekka Rinne - (Overall Rating - 92)
6. Braden Holtby - (Overall Rating - 91)
7. Sergei Bobrovsky - (Overall Rating - 90)
8. Cory Schneider - (Overall Rating - 90)
9. Semyon Varlamov - (Overall Rating - 89)
10. Frederik Andersen - (Overall Rating - 89)

Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies

Smh.... There's a 4 point gap between Carey Price, and Cory Schneider?!

F.O.U.R!!!

The rating scale is so small it's ridiculous. If my real life self was in the game I'd be a 72 ovr. And I can't even skate. It's like EA are afraid to hurt anyone's feelings, so they give everyone a 80+ rating. And people wonder why all teams play the same. Smh

I'm know I'm a homer, but the Lightning beat the top two goalies on this list in the playoffs last year. Big Ben deserves to be up there.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
NHL have completely screwed up their rating system for this game if 5 points out of 100 differentiates between the top 10 goalies in a league of 30 teams
Old 08-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

Also Andersen being an 89 is a joke. And the goalies look exactly the same as ever. Stiff and awkward.

Last edited by Moose24x; 08-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Rookie

Man, that is really not a big gap. I wonder how things look as we move out of the top-10.

For anyone else who doesn't like the ratings, what would you say a bottom-end, average, starting, and superstar goalies overall should be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacAttack22
Man, that is really not a big gap. I wonder how things look as we move out of the top-10.
The lowest rated starting goalie in NHL 15 was Buffalo's Chad Johnson at an 82 overall. But after him, the next lowest rating was an 84 overall for Edmonton's duo of Fasth and Scrivens. Then after those two, there are several people rated at 85 overall (too many to list). Lundqvist, Price, and Quick were the highest rated goalies in the game at 93 overall.

So NHL 15 only had an 8-point ratings spread separating 28 of the game's 30 starting goalies.

This trend doesn't seem to be changing for NHL 16, based on where they've rated the top 10 guys. I hope I'm wrong. There should be significantly more separation in the starting goalie ratings.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-28-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Pro

How I would do it, if I could have the ratings my way (and will probably spend damn near 2 months working on ratings throughout the game so I can play a few seasons of GM this way):

Price - 96
Lundqvist - 95
Quick - 93
Rinne - 92
Holtby - 91
Rask - 90
Bobrovsky - 89
Schneider - 89
Varlamov - 89
Bishop - 87
Luongo - 87
Crawford - 86
Fleury - 86
Miller -86
Mason - 86
Andersen - 85
Halak - 85
Ward - 85
Anderson - 85
Howard - 85
Lehtonen - 85
Dubnyk - 85
Hiller - 85
Bernier - 84
Talbot - 84
Elliot - 84
Smith - 83
Lehner - 82
Jones - 82
Pavelec - 82

Something like that, without doing any research to adjust and fine tune my rankings.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyfantastic
NHL have completely screwed up their rating system for this game if 5 points out of 100 differentiates between the top 10 goalies in a league of 30 teams
Everyone complaining doesn't seem to understand the rating system. It isn't there to differentiate and put a giant gap between the best NHL goalies and the worst NHL goalies, the rating system isn't for NHL players, but for any hockey player ever. Yes, I am exhausted like the rest of you with how similar every team and player plays, but that has less to do with the ratings and more to do with missing features (see Eastside Hockey Manager and the ability to select personal tactics for every player)

No, I'm not defending Schneider being rated as high as he is, but people are raging about a 5 point OVR difference, when we should all know by now OVR means nothing. Not only that, but there's diminishing returns when you get so good at a single skill, so while the OVR is only a 5 point difference, actually looking at the stats tells a more detailed story.

So whoever said if they were a goalie in NHL and would be rated 72 OVR, stop kidding yourself. Schneider is still a professional goalie, as is every goalie in the league. I would hope even the worst goalies in the league are still rated as highly, because yes! They are still pros! If the worst goalie is to be a 70 OVR, what would the best AHL goalie be? The worst? The best and worst junior players? High school? The best forum goalie?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »