Home

NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #17
Rookie

brianski71's Arena

OVR: 0
I'm glad they rate players based on reputation and not, you know, how they've actually played recently. Fleury not being in the top 10 is beyond laughable.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies

... Nah.

What scale are they basing these on? Based off a scale of all the goalies in game, there should be more separation between Price and Andersen; Price rated higher if he's the absolute best goalie in the game. Is it based on all-time goalies? But then it's more than hard to justify Andersen at an 89.

What it seems like is that there's a formula that takes a goalie's stats into account and then is refigured to get the desired overall number/order. I'd love to see an in-depth explanation of how ratings work and how they're established, but that's a faint hope.

The bottom line? Same old, same old.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

They are rated by a scout apparently. So blame whoever that is.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #20
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
Everyone complaining doesn't seem to understand the rating system. It isn't there to differentiate and put a giant gap between the best NHL goalies and the worst NHL goalies, the rating system isn't for NHL players, but for any hockey player ever. Yes, I am exhausted like the rest of you with how similar every team and player plays, but that has less to do with the ratings and more to do with missing features (see Eastside Hockey Manager and the ability to select personal tactics for every player)

No, I'm not defending Schneider being rated as high as he is, but people are raging about a 5 point OVR difference, when we should all know by now OVR means nothing. Not only that, but there's diminishing returns when you get so good at a single skill, so while the OVR is only a 5 point difference, actually looking at the stats tells a more detailed story.

So whoever said if they were a goalie in NHL and would be rated 72 OVR, stop kidding yourself. Schneider is still a professional goalie, as is every goalie in the league. I would hope even the worst goalies in the league are still rated as highly, because yes! They are still pros! If the worst goalie is to be a 70 OVR, what would the best AHL goalie be? The worst? The best and worst junior players? High school? The best forum goalie?
But, even in past games, not only were their individual ratings not far apart, they didn't seem to matter.

Every goalie plays the same, regardless of ratings. There might be a slight edge, but I could easily put in my AHL backup, and he'd do just fine on my NHL team, because goalies all pretty much move and play the same.

The ratings themselves don't matter, because they have such a minute affect on gameplay.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #21
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Wink Re: NHL 16 Player Ratings - Top 10 Goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
But, even in past games, not only were their individual ratings not far apart, they didn't seem to matter.

Every goalie plays the same, regardless of ratings. There might be a slight edge, but I could easily put in my AHL backup, and he'd do just fine on my NHL team, because goalies all pretty much move and play the same.

The ratings themselves don't matter, because they have such a minute affect on gameplay.
It's not that the ratings don't matter, it's just that ratings can only do and represent so much. There might be two guys in the league who probably are just as skilled in every category, so in the game they will be represented as so, and because the only tool they have is ratings, they will play the same. And guys with slightly better stats and slightly lower stats will play the same, regardless if they are 20/30 goal scorers or Selke finalists every year in real life.

Like I touched on earlier in my OP, they should look to Eastside Hockey Manager's ability to set individual line tactics as well as personal tactics for each and every player. This way, it's not just a crap shoot to see any player with a high ahoy rating reach 30/40 goals, its also about which players are TOLD to shoot more, play less defense, be more patient, etc. It's the next logical step, 'okay we have the ratings, but what do we do with them?'
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #22
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
It's not that the ratings don't matter, it's just that ratings can only do and represent so much. There might be two guys in the league who probably are just as skilled in every category, so in the game they will be represented as so, and because the only tool they have is ratings, they will play the same. And guys with slightly better stats and slightly lower stats will play the same, regardless if they are 20/30 goal scorers or Selke finalists every year in real life.

Like I touched on earlier in my OP, they should look to Eastside Hockey Manager's ability to set individual line tactics as well as personal tactics for each and every player. This way, it's not just a crap shoot to see any player with a high ahoy rating reach 30/40 goals, its also about which players are TOLD to shoot more, play less defense, be more patient, etc. It's the next logical step, 'okay we have the ratings, but what do we do with them?'
EA should steal a lot of ideas from EHM. That game is the most fun I've had in a while...and I'm just watching dots throw a smaller dot around a picture of a rink.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #23
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
EA should steal a lot of ideas from EHM. That game is the most fun I've had in a while...and I'm just watching dots throw a smaller dot around a picture of a rink.
They should. Not to say EHM is a better game per say, they are apples and oranges. As much as I love the depth of EHM, it can be a bit of a drag simulating day by day. I've already put more hours into EHM (owned is 3 months now) than I have any other game on Steam. And yet I'm only into my third year, maybe fourth. I love picking up EA NHL and being able to sim an entire season in an hour or so. They both might be hockey, but they are aimed at different audiences.

But to further my point, look at the dip the Sedin's point totals took when Torts took over in 2013. Would anyone say that the skills of the Sedin's took a dip? No. It's not that they all of a sudden lacked an accurate shot or pass, they were just being coached to play a more defensive game. Same stats, just different uses. There is no way to differentiate in an EA game with JUST ratings.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #24
Rookie

headzapp's Arena

Don't the stats mean something now? I thought they said a 84 player feels different than a 83.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »