Home

NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Rookie

tjung0831's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions

Last 10 minutes or so of some Blues and Stars action and a little of the Scottrade atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvrpmF08kzY

Old 09-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Started my own thread before this one was available, so now re-posting in this, the official discussion thread....

So, my build up to NHL 16 consisted of playing a few games on NHL 15 so to better gauge the differences and contrast.
Upon jumping into my first NHL 16 game between Chicago and Tampa Bay, my initial reaction was that ice and players looked very similar to NHL 15. Yes, the graphics are a bit sharper and brighter (I am playing on PS4) but one is hard pressed to tell the difference after a glass of whiskey…

I chose Hard Core settings and All Star difficulty, True Broadcast camera.

Gameplay wise, everything feels a lot looser (in a good way). The puck is really lively and poke checks are a potent tool if well timed and well executed. This is valid for both CPU and human. This makes for some pretty unpredictable hockey, which is a breath of fresh air. The speed is not so fast, it feels good and what NHL 16 does better than NHL 15 is implementing different speeds. I felt NHL 15 always played at the same speed no matter who you were controlling or in what context. This year if you time a pass correctly, the momentum of the skater receiving the pass will typically take him past a defender. I like this a lot. It took me quite a bit to get grips with the passing as initially all my passes were under powered. At the beginning if feels frustrating but when you learn to work the various lengths of pressing the pass button, you will be able to zip some pretty long passes. With no assistance on the passing direction, you really have to be careful because the CPU will punish you. I was down 4-0 in my first 10 minutes of the first period, all goals resulting from turnovers.

The AI is hit and miss. There are many improvements in the way AI makes decisions – from forechecking to sending teammates forward on a break. Then again on a few occasions I had a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 developing and one of my skaters would choose to go for a line change, thus wasting the numerical advantage.

Shooting feels much better – more realistic somehow. What I also like is that if you pass to a skater who is not facing the goal and you attempt to shoot with said skater, he will not do that silly wind up and the back stick shot of years past. It’s almost as if the AI overrules your poor choice to shoot whilst facing your own goal. I am not sure if this happens always, but I am sure it happened at least twice.

Setting up when on a player play feels amazing. It strikes the perfect balance between cycling and danger risk in terms should you lose the puck at the blue line. On one occasion I witnessed a defenseman make a “desperation” move to try and keep the puck in the zone. Not only it served a purpose but the animation looked great too.

There is weight to the players some how, much more so than NHL 15. Hits feel good and being hit also feels authentic somehow. Still, I wish there was even more weight. It still has that hovering over the ice feel.
I saw some new goalie saves, which looked good.

There is still a lot of clustering of players in one spot, frequently resulting in players bumping into each other, falling down, etc. I don’t know – may be EA calls that authenticity, but I find it arcady and silly.

Kudos to EA for introducing some subtle visual options – such as size of player icon and scoreboard size. Certainly not game braking, but I do like the option and I immediately felt that the smaller sizes add to authenticity.
Also the trainer aids are a welcome addition – whilst I can see how they can help a newcomer to the series, I also think they give an insight into how EA believe the game should be played, thus explaining when a pass should be along the line of attack as opposed to across, etc. I have to spend some more time understanding the logic and see if it yields results when applied.

I mentioned passing and poke checking. Other controls feel generally the same as NHL 15. I am not sure about what the precision skating does when attacking. Unless I am doing it wrong, it simply seems to turn the player 180 degrees. I need to experiment the various degrees of pressure on the L2 button.

To summarise, I feel the visuals of the game look marginally better (I was expecting more). Gameplay feels much improved with some subtle but welcome additions. The puck is much looser and there are some nice new animations. I can’t help but feel that this is what NHL 15 should have been. I wish there was a customizable True Broadcast camera or at least have the option to swivel a bit more. Yes, I will play it and probably enjoy it for a month or two, but I feel the franchise has that stale feel to it and it’s about time it gets a complete overhaul for next year.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Yeah,i'm enjoying 16 too. I was able to slow the imo, too rapid a gameplay pace by setting game speed to 2 (without frame rate issues) and acc at 1. PS4. I also saw that a gameplay update had been downloaded. But just have 1.00 and Lastest as options. However after the update?? the game did seem to play more evenly. Maybe just imagination? Overall, i am seeing some improved ai User and cpu. So that's nice to experience so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yeah,i'm enjoying 16 too. I was able to slow the imo, too rapid a gameplay pace by setting game speed to 2 (without frame rate issues) and acc at 1. PS4. I also saw that a gameplay update had been downloaded. But just have 1.00 and Lastest as options. However after the update?? the game did seem to play more evenly. Maybe just imagination? Overall, i am seeing some improved ai User and cpu. So that's nice to experience so far.
Did you play 15 last year? 15 on PS4 was somewhat washed out...is it better this year? Colors pop more? I played both last year and it looked better for me on Xbox One.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

Didn't see a glitch thread, and not sure if this would even be considered a glitch as I'm not sure how they'd fix, but in the NHL Moments if a goalie has switched teams (Talbot) he wears his current teams mask with the old teams jersey. Other than that I really love the game. The on ice stuff feels organic to me.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

In most of the video clips im seeing, correct me if i am wrong, but I dont see CPU/AI dumping the puck. Do they dump the puck or just waiting to cross the zone? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
Rookie

nddurst's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
In most of the video clips im seeing, correct me if i am wrong, but I dont see CPU/AI dumping the puck. Do they dump the puck or just waiting to cross the zone? Thanks.
I'm seeing the same thing...would be nice to know.

I think that same issue has been patched before in previous versions of the game if I remember correctly...so if it is an issue in NHL 16 and enough people bring it to EA's attention, I bet they could fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

How is the sound effects in 16? Last year the sound effects were really low except if you watch recorded gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »