Home

NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One)

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One)

It's a post–NHL 15 world, folks, and EA is looking to right the wrongs of last year's game. Much has been said about where NHL 15 went off the rails and how it happened, but the bottom line is that it will forever be known as an entry in the series that broke new ground for presentation while forgetting all of the features and modes that make the series great.

Enter NHL 16, a version of the game that has been developed with something of an "enhanced" 12-month schedule, with pre-production starting earlier than ever before. There's also been added accountability to producers during development and slightly more interaction with the fans in recent months. Further still, the GameChangers, a group of 12 fan liaisons, have been deeply involved in development of the EASHL and other core NHL features.

But does all of this fix what ailed NHL 15? In a word, yes.

Read More - NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One)
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One)

Nice write up, my download is almost finished so I'll be diving into the game in a few minutes and seeing for myself.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Good review.

I noticed last night, with whatever magical gameplay update thing that happened, that when you hit Y to tie up the cpu one of your team mates skates over to help now.

Y is actually useful a few feet from the boards too, it's like there is grace zone for the Y action animations and you can lay some checks down with it. It's only a few feet from the boards though.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Rookie

headzapp's Arena

Seems everything is better about this game. The mascots, sounds and uniqueness of each stadium is what I am excited about. Brings you deeper into the settings and feel more real. Is passing the puck off the boards new? I could never do it before.
Watching clips of nhl 15 and then 16, it looks way better. The lighting and body movement.
What new modes could be brought in? Lights out mode. Play the game in the darkness. I don't know, it's hockey. The main goal of a hockey game is to play hockey. If they come up with new things I'd play it, but I don't feel that we need it really. I liked the outdoor shootout NHL 06 (?) had where you were in the mountains and could have big heads. How about a trick shot mode and you can make your own courses to play with online?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Staff Writer

Wiggy's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by headzapp
Seems everything is better about this game. The mascots, sounds and uniqueness of each stadium is what I am excited about. Brings you deeper into the settings and feel more real. Is passing the puck off the boards new? I could never do it before.
Watching clips of nhl 15 and then 16, it looks way better. The lighting and body movement.
What new modes could be brought in? Lights out mode. Play the game in the darkness. I don't know, it's hockey. The main goal of a hockey game is to play hockey. If they come up with new things I'd play it, but I don't feel that we need it really. I liked the outdoor shootout NHL 06 (?) had where you were in the mountains and could have big heads. How about a trick shot mode and you can make your own courses to play with online?
It's certainly a valid question — what modes could be added, etc.

Just to play armchair designer for a second, I think some people would like to see a more fulsome career mode that actually has some presentational depth, a la NBA 2K. There's also room for an All-Star Competition or another novelty mode, such as minigames or drills. FIFA-style drills would really complement the on-ice trainer. A full practice mode for EASHL teams would be welcome, too.

Hopefully my review conveyed the enjoyment I had with the alterations they made to existing modes, but I would like to see the developers attempt something more than just iteration for their base modes. It's been quite a few years with the same template for these modes, even if some changes have added a bit of air in the tires.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Good writing and a fair score. But i really hope that for next year they finally implement a skill stick for defense because the defensive part of the game is getting really dumb the way it is now.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Just started!

What does this mean? (from the review)

"...the ability to use your online character in OTP games"

...does it mean you can use your be a pro in OTP? Also, are the OTP lobbies random, or can you join public lobbies with friends in some predictable fashion?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honome
Good writing and a fair score. But i really hope that for next year they finally implement a skill stick for defense because the defensive part of the game is getting really dumb the way it is now.
THIS. Not buying an EA game until that 2k defensive skill stick is there. I'm not paying $80 bucks for the mascots and crappy defensive play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »