Home

PES 2016 Review (XB1/PS4)

This is a discussion on PES 2016 Review (XB1/PS4) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #17
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: PES 2016 Review (XB1/PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp
I don't see how a football game can receive a "great" review when it:

* lacks any satisfaction scoring goals unless playing with manual settings;
* has serious referee/foul issues;
* has some major issues with defensive AI;
* every goal is spectacular that it becomes repetitive;
* one-touch passing is ridiculously easy;
* R2 shooting is really, really OP;
* legacy issues with animations, automation, and player awareness;
* still very limited library of animations compared to other AAA sports titles.

And that's just gameplay. What about:

* horrible commentary;
* lack of licenses;
* lack of stadiums;
* lack of proper rosters;
* lack of updates stats for many players;
* horrible menu system;
* technical issues with online play.

PES 2016 might be the best PES ever, but that's not saying much considering what this franchise has done over the past decade, and the only way you can consider this game deserving of an 8 is if you grade PES only against other PES titles and disregard what other games, including other sports titles, are accomplishing with the current technology.

Relative to other PES titles, PES 2016 could be considered great; relative to what we should be expecting in 2015, this game ought to barely receive a passing grade.
All great points mfp! I think I touched on most of them in the review and believe me, I REALLY struggled with giving this game a score. I even went back to my review & notes for PES 2015 and ultimately how I came to the score determination was based on a combination of these things:

Is it better than last year's game - Overall Yes. A lot of things have seen incremental improvements (ML, Online Stability, Edit Mode for PS4, Player Responsiveness, Commentary, etc...) while other things have remained the same (fouls, defensive AI lapses, keepers, lack of stadiums/licenses, etc...). Not much has regressed from 2015 although you could argue that the defensive issues this year are worse than last years and I would be inclined to agree to an extent. Same with keepers.

I gave last year's game an 8 and in hindsight that might have been too high BUT that rating was based on PES 2014 which wasn't that good IMO.

Overall I thought the gameplay, with the issues listed in the review, probably warranted a 7.5 but the improvements IMO were worth a ".5" jump to an 8, putting it level with last year.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp
I don't see how a football game can receive a "great" review when it:

* lacks any satisfaction scoring goals unless playing with manual settings;
* has serious referee/foul issues;
* has some major issues with defensive AI;
* every goal is spectacular that it becomes repetitive;
* one-touch passing is ridiculously easy;
* R2 shooting is really, really OP;
* legacy issues with animations, automation, and player awareness;
* still very limited library of animations compared to other AAA sports titles.

And that's just gameplay. What about:

* horrible commentary;
* lack of licenses;
* lack of stadiums;
* lack of proper rosters;
* lack of updates stats for many players;
* horrible menu system;
* technical issues with online play.

PES 2016 might be the best PES ever, but that's not saying much considering what this franchise has done over the past decade, and the only way you can consider this game deserving of an 8 is if you grade PES only against other PES titles and disregard what other games, including other sports titles, are accomplishing with the current technology.

Relative to other PES titles, PES 2016 could be considered great; relative to what we should be expecting in 2015, this game ought to barely receive a passing grade.
Actually relative to any football game, PES is great. Its better then fifa. But I understand, you have been bashing PES since release. I get it, you're a fanboy. But I'm pretty sure FIFA is out, why are you still here? You can leave if you want? Or just go write your own review and quit making counter points to other peoples opinions, which is what a review is, because nobody cares? Just an idea.

Last edited by RonMexico1992; 09-21-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #19
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

Like I can't even take this guy serious. Lol

Lacks animations? lmaooo

But FIFA when two defenders collide, fast or slow, and they fall down with moronic rag doll effects? Great animations.

Because the finesse shot in FIFA isn't OP? ok.

Because the one touch passing in FIFA isn't OP? ok.

Because that defensive AI in FIFA is spectacular. Game changer.

Because every goal in FIFA doesn't feel the same? offers so much satisfaction. *Rolls eyes*

And them long range shots in FIFA are not OP either.

Horrible Menu System? because thats not what a fifa fanboy goes to? Or because I play a game for Menus.......?

Licenses? FIFA fanboy gotta come up with something better then that. & Rosters and stats will be fixed within the next 2 weeks tops, so you will have to come up with something else to talk about for the rest of the year. Nice try though.

This is from someone who has played countless 100s of hours on FIFA over past 5 years, I'm not hear to bash fifa, but I'm not gonna listen to some guy bash PES and make it seem FIFA doesn't have the same exact problems and has had the same exact problems.

People will be spending the first month on FIFA tinkering with sliders trying to make the arcade football game EA gives them into a sim, but aye, fifa #1 man.

Last edited by RonMexico1992; 09-21-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #20
mfp
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico1992
Like I can't even take this guy serious. Lol

Lacks animations? lmaooo

But FIFA when two defenders collide, fast or slow, and they fall down with moronic rag doll effects? Great animations.

Because the finesse shot in FIFA isn't OP? ok.

Because the one touch passing in FIFA isn't OP? ok.

Because that defensive AI in FIFA is spectacular. Game changer.

Because every goal in FIFA doesn't feel the same? offers so much satisfaction. *Rolls eyes*

And them long range shots in FIFA are not OP either.

Horrible Menu System? because thats not what a fifa fanboy goes to? Or because I play a game for Menus.......?

Licenses? FIFA fanboy gotta come up with something better then that. & Rosters and stats will be fixed within the next 2 weeks tops, so you will have to come up with something else to talk about for the rest of the year. Nice try though.

This is from someone who has played countless 100s of hours on FIFA over past 5 years, I'm not hear to bash fifa, but I'm not gonna listen to some guy bash PES and make it seem FIFA doesn't have the same exact problems and has had the same exact problems.

People will be spending the first month on FIFA tinkering with sliders trying to make the arcade football game EA gives them into a sim, but aye, fifa #1 man.
I have no idea what you're going on about. Why are you bringing FIFA into this? I didn't. And for what it's worth, I thought FIFA 15 was a very poor game, and for the first time in a decade I didn't play CM in FIFA last year because of the terrible defensive AI.

So not really sure where you get off going on about being a FIFA fanboy. Don't know about you, but I"m a fan of football games, period. But nice try attacking me that way rather than actually talking about the substance of my opinions. Talk about being a fanboy...
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
mfp
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
All great points mfp! I think I touched on most of them in the review and believe me, I REALLY struggled with giving this game a score. I even went back to my review & notes for PES 2015 and ultimately how I came to the score determination was based on a combination of these things:

Is it better than last year's game - Overall Yes. A lot of things have seen incremental improvements (ML, Online Stability, Edit Mode for PS4, Player Responsiveness, Commentary, etc...) while other things have remained the same (fouls, defensive AI lapses, keepers, lack of stadiums/licenses, etc...). Not much has regressed from 2015 although you could argue that the defensive issues this year are worse than last years and I would be inclined to agree to an extent. Same with keepers.

I gave last year's game an 8 and in hindsight that might have been too high BUT that rating was based on PES 2014 which wasn't that good IMO.

Overall I thought the gameplay, with the issues listed in the review, probably warranted a 7.5 but the improvements IMO were worth a ".5" jump to an 8, putting it level with last year.
I hear ya. It's real difficult to evaluate this game. On one hand, it's got some true brilliance in the football that can be played, and it's head and shoulders above anything Konami has put out in years.

On the other hand, there's still quite a few legacy issues, and it's painfully clear at times that Konami is creating PES with far fewer resources than other similar titles.

IMO I'd say PES 2015 deserves an 8 if we're talking gameplay alone, which I understand for many people that's all they care about. But if we're being fair and objective, it's hard for me to consider it worthy of that score when so much non-gameplay aspects provide so little, if not detract from the experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #22
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

The review is fair and balanced. An 8 based on the reasons it was given is legit. To some it may be a 7 and to another a 9... My point being we are going to see the strengths and weaknesses of this game differently.

I am having fun with it... If fouls get patched it is a solid 8-9 for me.

People always mention the licensing. How on earth did anyone get this game and not already know what was and was not licensed?

I refuse to jump on the PES v FIFA thing but will say both have good animations this year. They are different games both doing what they do very well. Amazing year to be a football fan. Both games are better than they have ever been!

Great review OP! It will help people without the game make a good well informed decision before purchasing.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 AM   #23
Rookie

It's the defence that really annoys me, it sounds the same as the demo where i could rely on dribbling to win against a superstar ai, this kinda encourages me to not play the game properly, if they fix cpu defending i would think this is a great game, but until then it's pretty flawed.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:08 AM   #24

dubcity's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dema
It's the defence that really annoys me, it sounds the same as the demo where i could rely on dribbling to win against a superstar ai, this kinda encourages me to not play the game properly, if they fix cpu defending i would think this is a great game, but until then it's pretty flawed.

Yeah, it's crazy that the defending is just as bad in that way on Superstar. Just played a match where I literally ran from the midway line all the way to goal like I was Maradona in his prime. When they actually close down they are competent, but the defensive shape is compete shambles when you go on solo runs into open space like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »