Home

FIFA 16 Available Today, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on FIFA 16 Available Today, Post Your Impressions within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
FIFA 16 Available Today, Post Your Impressions

FIFA 16 is available today for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Play a few matches and let us know what you think.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: FIFA 16 Available Today, Post Your Impressions

Definitely excited to pick up the game today.

I played the FUT draft Demi last night and for the first time it stood out to me the lack of player individuality. I was able to get Ronaldo but as the game progressed I actually forgot he was on my team! I didn't remember until the game was over.

This is definitely a FIFA year for me...and PES has its own faults...but they did a much better job bringing players to life.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
Rookie

chelios7's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm enjoying FIFA 16 so far. I used up my full trial, so I got up early this morning to put in a few games before work. The opposing team does a good job of pressing and working the ball, even on Professional.

I've seen a good variety of goals. I was playing Arsenal v Stoke this morning (I was Arsenal) and had Stoke down 2-1 in the 70th minute. They brought in Crouch as a sub and he scored a header from a corner on me with about 10 minutes to go. I ended up getting Sanchez on the break and he scored a goal in the top right corner over a diving Butland to win it in extra time.

I still think that the rest of my team is kind of non-existent defensively. While I think they have improved how the CPU teammates get into offensive positions and make moves to help with goals, I still think there is a defensive issue with the game.

Last edited by chelios7; 09-22-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelios7
I'm enjoying FIFA 16 so far. I used up my full trial, so I got up early this morning to put in a few games before work. The opposing team does a good job of pressing and working the ball, even on Professional.

I've seen a good variety of goals. I was playing Arsenal v Stoke this morning (I was Arsenal) and had Stoke down 2-1 in the 70th minute. They brought in Crouch as a sub and he scored a header from a corner on me with about 10 minutes to go. I ended up getting Sanchez on the break and he scored a goal in the top right corner over a diving Butland to win it in extra time.

I still think that the rest of my team is kind of non-existent defensively. While I think they have improved how the CPU teammates get into offensive positions and make moves to help with goals, I still think there is a defensive issue with the game.
It can seem that way at first, but try this: when defending don't switch off until your opponent actually completes the next pass. What I've been seeing is a lot of guys switch defenders so quickly, they negate a pass intercept by their own player. Another thing is individual tactics. There's a player instruction for aggressively intercepting ground passes. This also works wonders. The tools are there this year to play stout defense, I promise lol.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelios7
I ended up getting Sanchez on the break and he scored a goal in the top right corner over a diving Butland to win it in extra time.
Props to you for being able to score on Butland, LOL. He was brilliant vs Arsenal 2 weeks ago as I'm sure you saw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

As I already posted in the sliders section this is the best football game since WE9 LE and the first football game from EA.
Positives:
+ CPU AI is the best I've seen in a football videogame. There's finally build-up play, cpu stops and looks for the open teammate, they switch sides, shoot from outside etc. Yes, the "chase the ball" AI coding could be frustrating for casual gamers (and as I see from many reviews there are already big complaints) but if you play smart and patient defense you're rewarded. I managed to keep Arsenal on WC difficulty at 82% passing accuracy but is inevitable that some mediocre teams will have high pass accuracy. As I said some days earlier I certainly prefer this kind of CPU AI instead of the nonsense full attack mentality and psychic dribbling.
+ GK are a joy to watch.
+ Fouls, fouls everywhere.
+ CPU defensive awareness is drastically improved.
+ Commentary, presentation are superb.
+ Teammates defensive AI is improved but EA needs to work more on it. You still need to do plenty of "babysitting". The game is only playable with Legacy Defending if you want to play off-ball D.

Negatives:
- Goalkeepers sometimes kick the ball to the midfield very quickly. They have to wait for teammates to take their positions on the pitch and EA must fix this issue.
- Tactical Defending is still a joke because you can't pressure and go for the ball with the teammates. You just contain or send teammates to contain. The improved AI coding makes things even worse. The simple fix is to use Legacy offline. You can freely contain, your teammates automatically contain and you can send them battle for the ball with the pressure button.
- We need more team individuality. There is a major improvement though and many teams play differently but in that department football videogames devs still have a long way to go.

That's all for now. I haven't tested MM yet and I'm a strictly offline player.
Judging from the reviews and players reactions EA will have a tough time. The game has definitely moved away from casual gamers.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
It can seem that way at first, but try this: when defending don't switch off until your opponent actually completes the next pass. What I've been seeing is a lot of guys switch defenders so quickly, they negate a pass intercept by their own player. Another thing is individual tactics. There's a player instruction for aggressively intercepting ground passes. This also works wonders. The tools are there this year to play stout defense, I promise lol.
This is true. There have been times where I noticed that I prevented someone from making an interception. Defense is definitely better this year as my CPU teammates actually do play defense and don't just stand around gawking.

Now, I wish there was a way to make everyone press and try to dispossess the ball handler when they are in the final attacking third.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
This is true. There have been times where I noticed that I prevented someone from making an interception. Defense is definitely better this year as my CPU teammates actually do play defense and don't just stand around gawking.

Now, I wish there was a way to make everyone press and try to dispossess the ball handler when they are in the final attacking third.
The answer is Legacy Defending. See my post above.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »